PDA

View Full Version : For Those Linemen Over 40.....

LostArt
06-27-2007, 10:31 PM
I've been following another thread here about working with hooks. How many of you over 40 yrs of age are still climbing? I actually asked the Boss, my husband, when was the last time he climbed. Before I give you the answer, I knew the answer would be when he did the Pole Rescue. He is also a foreman now. Just giving you guys some background information.

How many of you linemen, over 40 yrs of age are still climbing?

Patriot
06-27-2007, 11:05 PM
Almost 50, and at least twice a week, and a foreman.

We have some, under 40, that do pole top, and that is it for the year!

Trampbag
06-27-2007, 11:08 PM
For me it is hard to answer. The job I presently do has no possibility of having to climb. I did, however, work for a contractor about 4 years ago where I climbed pretty much every day all day long and I stayed there for more than 6 months. It took me about 2 weeks to get to where it didn’t hurt all the time and in a month I actually started to really enjoy it. Then I went back to underground where the money is. It was interesting, though, that after 10 years of little climbing I was able to get back into shape (on distribution 40’ poles) in fairly short order and I was already past 50 then.

Could I put on the hooks again??? I would like to believe I can. Am I as flexible as I once was??? Hell no, but I could still reach out and stand flat foot on the pole 4 years ago.

LostArt
06-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Almost 50, and at least twice a week, and a foreman.

We have some, under 40, that do pole top, and that is it for the year!

Wow. That is impressive Patriot. I peeked and saw where you are from (I'm as BAD as Swamp!!!---I know!). Do you think it's from the area you are in?

LostArt
06-27-2007, 11:16 PM
For me it is hard to answer. The job I presently do has no possibility of having to climb. I did, however, work for a contractor about 4 years ago where I climbed pretty much every day all day long and I stayed there for more than 6 months. It took me about 2 weeks to get to where it didn’t hurt all the time and in a month I actually started to really enjoy it. Then I went back to underground where the money is. It was interesting, though, that after 10 years of little climbing I was able to get back into shape (on distribution 40’ poles) in fairly short order and I was already past 50 then.

Could I put on the hooks again??? I would like to believe I can. Am I as flexible as I once was??? Hell no, but I could still reach out and stand flat foot on the pole 4 years ago.

This is what I mean. I guess it's where you are, where you are working, and maybe the company you are working with and if you do it enough and how good of shape you are in? Am I right? I mean....well, you guys have to TELL me! I don't know. http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/doh001.gif

Patriot
06-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I just still like to climb and go up and help my crew. I don't want to do the 10 to 20 poles a day, clipping or what ever. Just bank pole, tap pole and such. If I am not on the pole, I am in the bucket almost every day. I like my job! :-)

LostArt
06-27-2007, 11:26 PM
I just still like to climb and go up and help my crew. I don't want to do the 10 to 20 poles a day, clipping or what ever. Just bank pole, tap pole and such. If I am not on the pole, I am in the bucket almost every day. I like my job! :-)

I'm getting off topic............but what is "bank/tap" pole?

Patriot
06-27-2007, 11:36 PM
Sorry, the english language is hard enough with a lineman throwing in his lingo.

Bank pole, = transformer bank.

Tap pole= tap line off a main line and such, single, v, or three phase. Some times they can be time consuming.

I don't nessecerily climb two a day but average that easily.

LostArt
06-27-2007, 11:43 PM
Sorry, the english language is hard enough with a lineman throwing in his lingo.

Bank pole, = transformer bank.

Tap pole= tap line off a main line and such, single, v, or three phase. Some times they can be time consuming.

I don't nessecerily climb two a day but average that easily.

Aaaah....I see (sorta). I honestly don't think, since the Boss has more utility/co-op work, that they do that everyday. I do know this, the Boss lives his work. I've posted this before, that the Boss only says he is an "average" lineman. I don't think he considers himself a "knock'em down...dag'em out" top notch lineman, but yet...many ask his opinion. Does that make sense?

LostArt
06-28-2007, 12:24 AM
Well, I won't answer your Poll LA. Really can't, honestly. Been sorta retired for the second time, bout 2 years.

I understand Swamp and I'd of been disappointed if you hadn't posted. SERIOUSLY.

The Corp boys don't want to do that back yard ratty shit. That's why the Corps and Big Utilities hire Contractors. Seriously.
Aside from the fact that they've cut their manpower so low, that they HAVE to hire Contractors.

It's all bout money....

LMAO!!! And here the Boss sits on the other side of the line Swamp! He use to bid to those corps when he was a contracting rat......to now watching them work while he and his small crew do the ..........ummm........other stuff. :D

Irony? Ummmm.................

electric squirrel
06-28-2007, 12:33 AM
35 yrs old, 7th step ape, in my hooks every day,,,,,THATS MY JOB, the bucket belongs to my lineman , 44 yrs in the trade, he's earned the extra room.E.S.:cool: 23 days

LostArt
06-28-2007, 01:43 PM
So far we have only 7 guys over 40 yrs of age that voted. Gracious....the rest of'em must be climbing! :cool:

For our viewing audience, you can click on "view poll results" to see the results thus far. You do know any of you can post comments here, right? Heh. Just making sure. I know we have some shy folks out there. I've not met the first shy lineman, but I guess there is always the first time! :D

Pootnaigle
06-28-2007, 09:09 PM
Climb em whenever I wanna, never hafta cause there are apprentices that hafta do it when I dont wanna, But they hafta know that I can and will or they wont wanna. I will be 60 in a month andwhile I cant reach and geddit like I usta could I can still show most of em up on a pole.Hell I never had a bucket til I was a Journeyman and some of these guys never been outta one.If a few hours on a pole hurts you then youre 1 way outta shape
2 never been innit
3 used plum up

Roy56
06-29-2007, 12:30 AM
56 here, and every day. Youngest guys on the crew are over 40. We have to much rural line, and lots of back lot line, with no truck access, so that is what we are paid to do! ;)

Koga
06-29-2007, 04:16 AM
Still climb, but, as mentioned before when I want to. Sometimes on rare occassion because I have to, trouble shooting or if I have a new helper with me. But that is rare now. Ive had surgery on my right ankle and my right knee scoped last month. But ya I still can and just like one of my all time favorite songs says " Im still willin" Hey!!!!, LA if there ever was a song for a lineman I think maybe thats pretty damn close to how I feel and maybe why I like it so much. I know its a truckers tune but theres alot of been there done that in it for me. :D

Koga

PS In case yer intrested " Willin" by Little Feat

LostArt
06-29-2007, 02:25 PM
But ya I still can and just like one of my all time favorite songs says " Im still willin" Hey!!!!, LA if there ever was a song for a lineman I think maybe thats pretty damn close to how I feel and maybe why I like it so much. I know its a truckers tune but theres alot of been there done that in it for me. :D

Koga

PS In case yer intrested " Willin" by Little Feat

And for our viewing audience......and for Koga....

Willin'
Little Feat (1971)

I been warped by the rain, driven by the snow
I'm drunk and dirty don't ya know, and I'm still, oh I'm still
Out on the road late at night, I seen my pretty Alice in every head light
Alice, Dallas Alice

I've been from Tuscon to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonapah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Now I driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine
and you show me a sign
I'll be willin', to be movin'

Now I smuggled some smokes and folks from Mexico
baked by the sun, every time I go to Mexico, and I'm still
And I've been kicked be the wind, robbed by the sleet
Had my head stoved in and I'm still on my feet and I'm willin', oh I'm willin'

And I been from Tuscon to Tucumcari
Tehachapi to Tonapah
Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
Driven the back roads so I wouldn't get weighed
And if you give me: weed, whites, and wine
and then you show me a sign
I'll be willin', to be movin'

jerry
06-30-2007, 12:52 PM
I am 63 Years old and have been in Line work since I was 21Yrs Old.Presently working as a Troubleman,spent several years in he hooks,Hot Sticking.God has blessed me with good health and I can Still Climb Poles.When I get a back lot Trouble call some of the younger guys will offer to climb for me,(NOT ALL OF THEM). If its my trouble call I say thanks,but when I get to the point I can't Climb Im out of here,don't want anybody to have to carry me.I still like to climb,not everyday though,plan to hang it up at the end of the year. WORK SAFE!

LostArt
06-30-2007, 09:53 PM
I am 63 Years old and have been in Line work since I was 21Yrs Old.Presently working as a Troubleman,spent several years in he hooks,Hot Sticking.God has blessed me with good health and I can Still Climb Poles.When I get a back lot Trouble call some of the younger guys will offer to climb for me,(NOT ALL OF THEM). If its my trouble call I say thanks,but when I get to the point I can't Climb Im out of here,don't want anybody to have to carry me.I still like to climb,not everyday though,plan to hang it up at the end of the year. WORK SAFE!

Jerry, you don't sound grumpy to me! Good for you! The Boss breaths and works line. When he retires, I sincerely hope that he can cope with it. I guess when he does retire, I'll have to layoff of this site so he can still be able to "talk shop" here with all of you guys.

Thanks for posting Jerry! I've always wanted those of you that have signed on the site to post. Please give us more. Hey.......if these knotheads will let me post....you all can post more also. ;)

Btw, I'm trying to get use to the idea of being the Mother Hen here. I know...but it sounds so dag gum MATURE! :( :D

LostArt
07-01-2007, 08:34 AM
It's looking like once a week and a few times a year is adding up fast.

I guess it all depends on where you work or who you are working with?

Swollen Tongue
07-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Hard to answer this one. Runs hot and cold here. We have a lot of backlot here, so I may not climb for a couple weeks and then climb several pole a day for a while. 49 years old and four knee surgeries so the novelity of climbing has worn off but so far can still get it pretty good. Try to make it look easy but I'd be lying if I said it don't hurt.

dooghi
07-01-2007, 08:16 PM
46 years old here It is kind of off and on depends what we are doing. Somtimes though we hit 10 to 15 poles a day, if we wre stringing wire and then it might be a week or so of one or two a day if we are doing small jobs. then you have the underground days :( It is a little harder specialy with the bigger conducter and the ten foot crossarms.

Genoin NW
07-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I just turned 56 in May. I'm very proud to say that I insist to climb everyday. I've been in the trade for 31 years now and love to climb! I have been a foreman for at least one third of those years and still rather climb than work in a bucket. That's how I stay fit and 'tuned up'. I teach climbing at Lineman Rodeos and at the local High Schools on career days.
During my apprenticeship, I had a journeyman that took me under his wing and taught me all he had. I have never forgot what he did for me and never will. I pass on his wisdom everyday and his passion for climbing.
I have a pole in mind for my last working day... It's a 90 footer located just outside our yard. Bring your camera!

southernIndy
07-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Going on 53 years old. Still climb when I have too to get the job done.
I like to climb and do this work. 30 years at company in Jan.

graybeard
07-07-2007, 08:16 AM
52 and was just up one on the 5th to cut a jumper open. We work hard on doing ALL our own work so if its needs climbing we do it. Only 2 of us right now so we take turns for the most part. We're kind of lucky that we only have one guy who hates to climb so if I get him with me I try to make him as much as possible. Climbing is part of the job and when it needs to be done its awsome when when you work with guys who all are still willing to GET YOUR SHIT ON.

buzzit125
07-07-2007, 11:25 PM
I'm soon to be 51, in the trade 31 years.
Well; for me it's underground one day maybe two, then overhead the rest?
I have worked jobs that were nothing but easement work, all by hand. Dig, set climb. That job lasted almost 5 years. so glad to see that conversion job go away. That reminds me of a poem. Dig a hole, set a pole, hang a pot, make it hot, mess around, burn it down, hit the ground, to the foreman's frown, hire a man, fire a man, all in a days work. Oh the pole climbing thing.. "In the old days", (see I can say that). Lineman did the Over Head work, and the Under Ground men did all the URD work. Today everybody wants a cross-trained, multi-tasking, High voltage power lineman. So for me its all about the work to be performed that week. All I know is, we have a lot of easements out there. Like I tell all the cubs, they bring it in from overhead somewhere. the hooks are here to stay.

LostArt
07-08-2007, 09:03 AM
Wow. I'm truly impressed guys.

So far:

9 do it every day

10 do it once a week

10 do it a few times a year

and 6 rarely do it unless trouble or storms

And it seems by your posts, that most of you are over 50. Very impressive.

mscheuerer
07-08-2007, 09:05 AM
Buzz is right;

Here in Jersey (PSE&G) you more than likely have your hooks hanging in your truck. It's pretty much case specific depending on what type of area and/or urban terrain your dealing with. (always try the bucket first i'll admit) I also must agree also, it's bad enough your out by yourself and meet up with your 2-3 man crew (in seperate trucks i might add) when doing work. The days of full truck crew gangs are just about gone, at least here on the east coast. They definetly want a cross trained line hand capable of handling most tasks at hand now'a'days.

-M

Swollen Tongue
07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
Yeah, they want to cross train the lineman for URD. Don't see em cross training the narowbacks to tool up and jin in a few pots.

LostArt
07-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Refresh my memory please. Is a narrowback one that works trouble?

Orgnizdlbr
07-08-2007, 10:49 PM
Refresh my memory please. Is a narrowback one that works trouble?

Its a Wireman, not a Lineman.....

LostArt
07-09-2007, 06:34 AM
Its a Wireman, not a Lineman.....

Thank you Georgie. :D

Trampbag
07-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Now THERE's a thought!!:cool:
That's a way to make some more Useable Union Linemen! :D

Like THAT's gonna happen....

The Line Trade has just become..."Trade Specific to the Inth" degree.

URD is somethin I thought all Distribution Linemen were schooled in.

Shit, I'm just a Rat, and I can do URD, with the best of em.
It's just "overhead", buried in the dirt, with "specifics" on makin up the cables to make up Terminations....WTF?:p

Would MUCH rather do Overhead though. I hate Fuc$in shovels...;)

At times you actually make sense. This isn’t one of them.

Swollen Tongue
07-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Yeah we all had UG training. Just didn't do much of it because there used to be a dept. specifically for Substation and UG const. and maintenance. Hell it aint rocket science I know but the point being in my case everyones a T-Man as long as they can cherry pick. During storms keep us in the backlots and wanttobe's on the street. Don't mind taking the bitter with the sweet; just don't want all bitter.

Trampbag
07-10-2007, 11:33 AM
I guess what my point is is there is one hell of a lot more to U/G than just sticking an elbow on a piece of cable. I’m certain that most linemen can accomplish that task.

However, when it comes down to switching, including writing out the switching order (paralleling and looping), rotation and phasing as well as trouble shooting and simply not cutting a live cable because of misidentification, U/G becomes just a little more complicated.

Koga
07-10-2007, 05:26 PM
My favorite. I have spent years doin urd in just about everything there is to do with it. We have as much URD as anywhere else and Ive done my share of it. While I dont have as much time in the down town network I have have dabbled in it some, enough to know I don't like it worth a damn. Out in the subdivision and commercial areas its a little better and thats where I have the majority of my underground experience.I have to agree with Tramp on this one Swamp it aint the same. Its alot more aggrivatting than overhead. Especially in the older subdivisions where you might go in 3 to 4 transformers untill you find one that the elbows dont look like there ready to fall apart if you touch em.That is if you can find the transformer under all the damn junk piled on em ! Everything from old engine blocks and boats to fences and decks built over em. Even had on home owner fill in his back yard and bury the damn thing under 2 ft of dirt. Then wanted to know if why it takes so long and if we're going to put everything back like it was. :eek: Oh ya of course we will sir. Fix a fault heat it up and blow the dip again. Oh ya I just love me some URD :D And the ass hole that came up with those big ass purple Elastamold elbows , ya know the ones where you pull the transformer off the slab before they break loose :mad: That son of a bitch ought to have his ass kicked.. .... See !!!!! See..... you got my blood pressure up for nothin. I'll stop now but oh ya ,mmmm boy URD , you can have it give me some hooks and a back lot anyday.

Koga

Koga

LostArt
07-11-2007, 06:22 AM
I guess 37 voters is pretty good for this site. http://www.avowners.com/forum/smileys/doh001.gif That means there are more younger linemen out there than I thought.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the posts and the votes! Glad you all hung in there with me.

Mike Hanson
07-16-2007, 01:01 AM
Im 55 and still climb the last job i was on the gf asked me if i could climb and i told him i clumsome. Slim Flatten retiered GF from NSP in MINNESOTA is 80 now still Puts his hooks on and trims trees

ZapCzar
07-17-2007, 09:20 PM
48 here and I still climb, after I stick my truck up to the door handles in mud and can't find a tree to winch too. :p

markwho
08-10-2007, 12:24 AM
49 here, 29 yrs with the co. Running service/trouble truck and run into some backlot jobs and customer lights. Have been climbing with my son the past 6 mos. or so and has helped keep me in shape. Most of the guys I work with don't climb or like it. I seem to enjoy it and put the tools on once in awhile to stay in shape. I will have to throw them on once the temp cools off a little. It definately give a whole new meaning to respect for those who came before us and to those who climb on a regular basis. Average age of employees at my shop is 48 or so. We hired a 60 yr old fellow last year, second week on the truck with me we had a backyard light, he wanted to climb, I offered but he declined. He marched right up there, wanted to see if he still had it! He did a fine job and said it had been aboout 15 yrs since he climbed.

Mark

OutRigger
08-10-2007, 04:59 AM
I love to climb and do so a lot some times. at 49 years old I stop myself and let the younger ones try and learn,but it is hard to do.

LostArt
08-10-2007, 09:40 AM
49 here, 29 yrs with the co. Running service/trouble truck and run into some backlot jobs and customer lights. Have been climbing with my son the past 6 mos. or so and has helped keep me in shape. Most of the guys I work with don't climb or like it. I seem to enjoy it and put the tools on once in awhile to stay in shape. I will have to throw them on once the temp cools off a little. It definately give a whole new meaning to respect for those who came before us and to those who climb on a regular basis. Average age of employees at my shop is 48 or so. We hired a 60 yr old fellow last year, second week on the truck with me we had a backyard light, he wanted to climb, I offered but he declined. He marched right up there, wanted to see if he still had it! He did a fine job and said it had been aboout 15 yrs since he climbed.

Mark

Wow, 15 yrs since he had climbed? That is impressive. And those of you having your sons come in and working along with you is a novelty these days. I don't think I've seen much of that here. At least not where the Boss has worked.

It's been posted somewhere here, and mentioning the average age being in the 40's (at least in some places--maybe more rural?), makes you wonder what is going to happen down the road when the last of you retire. I wonder how many youth are even interested in this type of work. I'm sure the IBEW has maybe done some statistics, but would that only be for the union members in the trade? Anyway, it would be interesting to know.