PDA

View Full Version : double cross arm brace

BELT AND HOOKS
07-01-2007, 08:18 PM
I have to hang a set of double 8' cross arms for a climbing test. My question is what side of the arms does the brace go. It is a dead end double cross arm installation.

Here are my instructions. Install a set of new preassembled 8' double cross arms in pole top position and three dead end assemblies for 13.2 kv primary. This is a wye three phase single dead end with 6' spacing between primary and neutral. The down guy and anchor are to be considered in place and tensioned. You will be furnished a groundman who will only do what you tell him to do. You are to consider him as not knowing what to do next, but he will know how when it is explained and told when. You are to make the best use of your groundman, having him do as much for you as possible from the ground. A pick up truck with preassembled cross arms, all hardware, equipment and material needed will be at the work site. You will be graded as you work in each phase of the job. If you are not sure that it is apparent to the grader what you are doing, tell him. He is experienced in line work and will recognize most of your actions.
These are my directions and I have went to a climbing school for a year and have installed these before. I have also worked as a ground man for a electrical contractor. Is there any pointers that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Electriceel
07-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Not sure what you are asking?
Double dead ends take 2 sets of braces, get to practicing on drilling holes straight, and nope lags are not allowed.
If you are talking about steel braces face the pole.
There are different ideas so I guess unless you have a spec sheet presented to you, you do it how you feel it should be done.

adamr_41
07-02-2007, 12:07 AM
- Make sure to drill your hole as straight as possible!
-If using 60" braces (bolts on underneath arm) make sure that you dont tighten your 1/2" brace bolts until your braces are installed.
- (Before hanging crossarm) Measure the thickness of the poletop where the crossarm hole is drilled and tell the groundman to set your D.A. bolts to that measurement,This will eliminate the need to measure the outsides of your crossarms in the air.
-My personal preference when im on hooks is to have the braces removed from the arm and install them in the air.

Koga
07-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Large braces or short . If you know then you could drill the holes on the way up. And save your self some time. As mentioned above just make sure the holes are as straight as you can make em otherwise you'll fight em. Also make sure the ground man knows how to send the arm up . Heavy arm first ,DA bolts out away from you so you dont have to wrestle it around yourself. Once the the heavy is up and the braces have been set with the bottom bolt half way through have em bring up the light arm. Now is the time you find out if you can drill a straight level hole. Also think about how it should come up the line too and make sure the ground man sends it up correctly.Once its up stab center hole and either end (ladies choice). then take your hammer and tap the last end on the DA bolt a little. Then if everything is straight a couple of good wacks in the middle and it should go on like "socks on a rooster". Tighten it down and your ready for the next part. A little planning on the ground with your grunt as to how to send it up and what order can make a big difference. Good luck

Koga
P.S. I think the key to this particular test is you communicating with the ground help running the hand line. As long as he understands what you need, when you need it and how to get it there the right way to make it easy on you. A good grunt is important.

LEAFMAN
07-07-2007, 11:25 PM
We dont use double cross arms any more. We now use steel cross arms for dead ends.

Perk
07-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Belt & Hooks,

I'm just a 2nd year apprentice and would assume you would be using "slap" braces as opposed to "bow" braces, using 8' arms. It doesn't really matter what side the braces are put on as long as they come up to you w/ the braces on the back-side of the arm. All the arms I've seen have the "TOP" branded & the manufacturers name branded on one side. We put this brand facing away from the pole.

Make sure the smaller holes on the braces are used to bolt the braces to the arm & the larger holes on the other end go to the pole for driving the hard-head.

If you're using "bow" braces, well good luck is all I can say. Haven't done that from my hooks before & assume you'd have to assemble the braces to arms in the air.

I'd say the three most important things are:

-Make sure the arm/braces come up facing the right way.
-Heavy 1/2 first w/ nuts & washers run back enough to easily work light 1/2 on.
-Have your safety just below the hole for the through bolt so the arm will lay accross it as it comes up making it easier to run the bolt through, saving your arms/back & decreasing the risk of a cut-out.

Also, be sure you work out the rigging for bringing the arms up ahead of time w/ your groundman so you're not on the pole-top w/ an 8' arm laying across your safety trying to figure out how to undo it.