PDA

View Full Version : ? on moving from AJATC to utility apprenticeship

alfrt
07-02-2007, 12:37 PM
As a potential apprentice, would the Union Hall hold any bad blood toward someone who went from working for a contractor in the AJATC apprenticeship program to applying for and going to work as an apprentice for the local utility. (same hall)
Current situation: I'm at the top of the list for getting called for the AJATC apprenticeship and could potentially get called sooner than the utility's apprenticeship opening will be posted. I'd rather begin the AJATC and get started getting experience while at the same time not assume I'll be getting the job w/ the utility. Currently, there are also no openings w/ the utility to where I could apply from within.

Genoin NW
07-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Take the opportunity given to you. Make the most of it... learn it, understand it, teach it!
I've been in this trade 31 years now and have worked for contractors and 3 utilities and held a union card for the duration without any conflicts whatsoever. GO FOR IT KID! Make a difference in this trade for the good.

500 KVA
07-03-2007, 03:27 PM
I would take the contractor apprenticeship if it is offered first. You know you will have that one.

Unless you are the son of the Utilities president, you won't be positive about getting into that apprenticeship. Strange stuff happens within a Utilities Organization sometimes.

Here's the problem. If you take the contractor apprenticeship you will have two issues. They will make you sign a contract that will cost you money to break.

The next issue is it will PISS THEM OFF when they find out you have left their program just to get into the Utilities apprenticeship program.

You will be burning a bridge. Maybe it will not be a problem for you. Maybe it will be a huge one sometime down the road when you need that union. Linemen have very long memories. They are vendictive.

Granted I have been through an outside apprenticeship and have learned alot. I honestly believe a utility apprenticeship may offer a bit more. It really depends on what you put into it.

That is my gut feeling. Hope it helps you. It is a big decision. It will probably all come at you all at once so give it some good thought now.

west coast hand
07-08-2007, 04:21 PM
Take the job with the contractor and do your apprenticship there, you will get a better apprenticship and be a better well rounded lineman in the end you can always go to a utility after you top out if thats what you want to do

alfrt
07-18-2007, 12:29 AM
I appreciate the advice, thank you.