PDA

View Full Version : Trying to learn any advice?

vandalvw
07-17-2007, 12:21 AM
I work for the local utility company on the irririgation side. I am hoping to transfer to the electrical side. I went climbing for the first time today with a co-worker and loved it. The word is that they are going to be hiring around five apprentices in september or october. Does anyone have any advice on what to study for the climbing or written test? I have the lineman cablemans hand book that I have been reading,which it still looks like chinese but I'm trying. What would they want to hear in the interview? Thanks for any advice or help.

lineman-up
07-17-2007, 08:31 AM
reading the linemans handbook will help with some terminology maybe. i would try to learn the parts and where they are in the truck and the tools of the trade. most of what is in the handbook is going to be to indepth for ya. and as far as climbing practic, practice, practice. that along with your attitude will earn you some respect from the other lineman, along with giving you a way to get a closer look at the action on the pole. good luck

500 KVA
07-17-2007, 02:11 PM
Study the basics for an aptitude style test. Math and reading comprehension skills.

Nobody is going to expect you to know anyhting about linework. They may ask you why you are interested in becoming a lineman.

Do a few ride alongs with the line crews if they'll let you. That shows interest, and you'll pick up some useful information to use when at an oral interview.

Ask the present apprentices questions about the apprenticeship program.

Hang out where the line crews are and ask questions while they are cleaning off trucks, or loading material. Learn the tools, and material that they would expect a beginner to know.

Clean up for the interview. You don't need to wear a suit, but don't look like a bum either. Be respectful. Yes and No Sir to all questions asked to you. Sit up straight and speak up and with confidance.

Keep practicing climbing with your buddies. Never climb alone!

vandalvw
07-17-2007, 06:54 PM
thanks for the help, I going to be asking around the yard to find some used boots to buy just to learn with. I have me trying to meet as many lineman as I can. And get as much info as possable.

OLE' SORE KNEES
07-17-2007, 07:31 PM
thanks for the help, I going to be asking around the yard to find some used boots to buy just to learn with. I have me trying to meet as many lineman as I can. And get as much info as possable.

What size do you wear?? , I have a pair of Wescoes you can have if they fit.

Bull Dog
07-17-2007, 07:50 PM
Welcome to the lineman club I hope you can get union so you will get a good deal. We still learning after all these years so you have started on a long trip if your interested will last most of your life. Good luck

Perk
07-17-2007, 08:24 PM
The most important thing to do is to learn to hate yourself right off the bat! LOL. Seriously though, like somebody said above, climb as much as you can. It goes about as far as possible in earning some respect from the Journeymen, at least until you actually get on the crew and you are truly new meat.

If I can do it, anyone can, although I'm still only 1/2 way through my apprenticeship, I think I'll make it. Anyway, I turned 39 yesterday & transferred from the meter reading dept. So the guys on the crews & management were probably very sceptical of me anyway. But weeks before I transferred, I got w/ some of the linemen after work and climbed. They were a huge help & also helped me out a lot w/ gear. Basically the only thing I bought was a safety & a diddy bag.

Above all, show those guys respect, show that you are eager, & show you are willing to work hard.

As for the book work, don't sweat it a whole lot, they're not gonna weed you out there, that's gonna happen in the field work or labs of whatever program you go through. When you go to climbing school, go w/ a bur up your ass & determined you will not quit. More than likely they will try to weed some out & it will be the hardest thing you've ever done in your life unless you've been through the military or something.

vandalvw
07-17-2007, 09:02 PM
They have a union the ibew. They say its pretty strong. For sure I am not afraid of hard work I crawl and patch irrigation pipe right now I would love to climb I had a lot of fun yesterday climbing and have be reading the book every chance I get. One of the new guys on our crew went to a climbing school and was a grounds men for almost a year so I have been asking him anything I can think of. thanks for all the replies.

SORE KNEES I wear Between 10 1/2 in redwings 11 1/2 in regular shoes 12s would probably work just to learn with, that would be great if you have a pair and much appreciated.

OLE' SORE KNEES
07-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Check your box...........take care