PDA

View Full Version : Cramps

Perk
07-22-2007, 09:10 PM
I had to do some serious leathering up this past Thursday, well, more serious than I'm acustomed to, and cramped up really bad in my hands.

We are extending a 1/0 3-phase line for a church in West Knoxville and the poles aer phone co. poles, (no holes drilled). Just 45' & 55' sticks. So our superintendant decided to get all us apprentices (3) on this job & have us frame out of our hooks. I am nearing the end of my 1st 6 months of my 2nd year & they are about a year ahead of me, but about 10 years younger.

We each framed a 45' straight line (single arm) then a 55' verticle. I made it through the straight line very well, even w/ drilling all 5 holes w/ the gas drill. The other two apprentices had their holes drilled w/ the zizzer from the bucket.

The verticle should've been much easier, but I struggled, dropped a washer & a guy-bond & had to stop repeatedly to deal w/ hand cramps. It was about 90 degrees w/ 90% humidity & I hope that's what caused it.

I felt really good after the straight-line, but really discouraged after the verticle. I was the last one down, but had started before the other two.

But like my Foreman says, "if it was easy they'd have women & children doing it."

Koga
07-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Drink a lot of water and pickle juice. Stuff with extra potassium.

Koga

IronLine
07-23-2007, 05:19 PM
Hey man, like he said, pickle juice, and bannanas! Bannanas are great, or hit up your local GNC or health food store and look for potassium tablets. I was an Ironworker before this, and the first three months tying rebar, I couldn't make a fist in the mornings. Excruciating pain bud, but ya gotta just drive on! And I'd watch it, I've seen some pretty bad ass female lineman.

Mike-E
07-23-2007, 07:10 PM
acknowledge the pain is there, but do not let it stop you

Perk
07-23-2007, 07:30 PM
for the advice. I am really conscious of keeping myself hydrated, but haven't tried pickle juice. I had a banana that morning w/ my sausage biscuit :D, and drank a bottle of power-ade & green-tea during lunch before the verticle. I'm a really big sweater though. I also had a potassium tab, but forgot to take it.

I'd say alot of it had to do w/ my positiong on the pole & fighting the framing, things I learned from & hopefully will correct the next time. I was up there way longer than I should've been.

My Foreman tried to get me to come down a few times when he saw me rubbing my hands but I stuck w/ it, even though I had the overwhelming desire to panic & have the bucket come get me.

One of the biggest parts of getting into this work is over-coming fear and the desire to say "I can't".

Dang, I love it though!

scammy
07-23-2007, 09:37 PM
sometimes the home remidys dont work,, sometimes its just too hot ,let your leader know and take a break,,,scammy,,,,,no shame in knowing when to say when,

Koga
07-23-2007, 10:37 PM
but if your dogs aint barking ya aint doin something right ! Don't worry about speed, that will come with experience. Just think it through and make every move count. Think about your position on the pole or structure, work your way through, so you dont have to be moving from one side to the other alot. Finish on one side with everything you can do, then when you move you don't have to go back again. Always put that hoist out a little farther than you think you need to give your self that little extra, believe me you'll need it at times. If you think you got up on it just enough, get a little more.

Relax a little,learn to hold an object with the rubber gloves on with out feeling like you have squeeze the crap out of it. I guess what I'm trying to get across is work smart and learn to use finess instead or brute force. I learned by watching one of the best I've ever saw. He always made it look so damn easy. Your joints and muscles will thank you for years to come.

Koga

west coast hand
07-25-2007, 12:41 AM
Are you kidding me framing a straight line pole whats that consist of hanging one arm and putting some dollys on the arm whats that a 15 min job what a joke my hands hurt suck it up. We do alot of pole change out, out here I've been on the pole for more then 12 hours at a time never climbed down even have eatin my lunch on the pole this is a rough hard trade suck it up or get out. so put down your purse and keep climbin???

Perk
07-25-2007, 05:48 PM
Are you kidding me framing a straight line pole whats that consist of hanging one arm and putting some dollys on the arm whats that a 15 min job what a joke my hands hurt suck it up. We do alot of pole change out, out here I've been on the pole for more then 12 hours at a time never climbed down even have eatin my lunch on the pole this is a rough hard trade suck it up or get out. so put down your purse and keep climbin???

Congratulations & thanks for the advice, just wondering though, @ what point during your apprenticeship did you spend 12 hrs on a pole and eat your lunch on a pole?

If you read my post, I didn't cramp up on the straight-line, it was the verticle, the second pole. I did "suck it up" & I didn't come down before the job was complete, so cram your "purse" comment up your @$$ after you go F yourself.

toddelec1
07-25-2007, 07:02 PM
Hi there Perk : Don't for one sec. let west coast hands comment to you get you upset. Obviously he is above and beyond wanting to help or give advice to anyone. He must have forgotten what it was like going through an apprenticeship. Maybe he is so skilled he skipped right over that time period and got his jl ticket. Who knows. I do know one thing , if I ever had to spend 12 hours on a pole , I sure wouldn't want it to be with such a competent professional such as west coast seems to be. Good luck to ya perk........Be safe

dirtdobber
07-25-2007, 07:36 PM
hey still get the hand cramps pretty darn bad where I cant open my hand without help from the other.try tonic water with quinine not real good for you to drink daily but works pretty damn quick.also west coast ate his lunch on a pole top sure before the line truck stood it up!!!!!!!!!:) :p

Swollen Tongue
07-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Yeah Perk, cramps is something we ALL have to deal with at times. You will also get em from wearing your rubber for long periods of time. Damn thumb will cramp over to the palm of your hand. A real bitch. The gatoraid will help some. When you get really hot, let cold water run over your wrist. The blood is close to the surface there and believe it or not it helps cool you off all over. Try it.

polemonkey
07-27-2007, 09:19 PM
All of these ideas are good and over time you will find what works good for you. Just remember it doesn't matter how fast you get the job done(within reason) as long as you do it safely.

CenterPointEX
07-28-2007, 02:21 PM
drench your long sleeve shirt with water before you go up the pole... It kinda works like and air conditioner... You are gonna sweat it wet anyway... and one fine day Perk just like the cramps in your hands... Life will begin to feel that way... You'll look back over the last twenty years and think..." What the **** was I thinking?"... You'll groan when you strap on your hooks... stretch a little bit... then crawl your old dumb ass up the pole... and when you get up there... you'll grimace as them irons settle into your shins... you'll look around take a deep breath... and feel the adrenaline pumping through your nerveous system as you look out over the tops of the trees... Then you'll grin, knowing you wouldn't trade the last twenty years for anything in the world... You will be one of us.

dirtdobber
07-28-2007, 10:06 PM
now your starting to post like a true friend of lineman not just a bible thumper thank you sir!!!!:D

Squizzy
08-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Here is a similar set of symptoms hopefully not what your experiencing Perk...

http://www.mycarpaltunnel.com/symptoms-carpal-tunnel-syndrome.shtml