PDA

View Full Version : Troubleman changing transformers alone.

chand1jk
07-27-2007, 01:44 PM
How many troublemen out there have changed out a transformer alone? How many troublemen have done this in a capitol city? What is OSHA'S stance on this flagrant use of troublemen to work alone on line equipment? How many linemen work energized primary alone?

Bull Dog
07-27-2007, 05:17 PM
This is a no brainer you don't do it period. Against osha and common sense. Osha says if you touch the primary you must have a groundman no if ands or buts.

shaun
07-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Never replaced a transformer as a shooter and was never asked to do so. Cut it clear and installed jumpers from another pot tempo until a line gang could replace the bad pot and restore back to normal. As far as working energized primary though, you bring up a good point, rather Bull Dog brings up a good point. It should be discussed and I'd like to see OSHA's rule about it because it's going on. I firmly believe that you should have at least 1 more guy if you're playing with primary.

scammy
07-28-2007, 08:59 PM
when in primary area ,,,you need a second set of eyes,,to watch your back,,,not a ground man ,,but another QUALIFIED lineman,,,in case of resque,or need of extra hand ,,if you work out of this policy ,,you are breaking the saftey code ,,grab your nades,,,,and demand the extra hand ,or refuse to do the tasks,,,scammy

92trlb
07-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Was a troubleman before retirement.......one person did not work primary or change out transformers.

US & CA Tramp
07-29-2007, 06:00 PM
OSHA is very clear on the subject.
1910.269(l)(1)(i)
at least two employees shall be present while the following types of work are being performed:
1910.269(l)(1)(i)(A)
Installation, removal, or repair of lines that are energized at more than 600 volts,
1910.269(l)(1)(i)(C)
Installation, removal, or repair of equipment, such as transformers, capacitors, and regulators, if an employee is exposed to contact with parts energized at more than 600 volts,

buzzit125
07-29-2007, 11:34 PM
I was with Indy power and light for 22 years, six years of that I was a trouble man. I never changed out a single transformer out, or was asked to...clear the legs jump the balls out call for that crew
Also if we had to put up wire, and we did allot of that, we doubled up two Tman together... trouble men are first responders. eyes and ears for the company.
That is why they have line crews, I know things are getting tight in the world, but unsafe is unsafe, you can always say that.. You cant work that one from the office, don't let them try to talk you into it... be safe first.
Buzz

flashman
07-30-2007, 02:40 PM
I changed alot of transformers out, none by myself. You are supposed to have a qualified groundman,no stinking bosses on the ground either. You will have some cowboys that think it's no big deal to do it solo. If you get hurt it's all on you and if you get killed the boss on the ground will say you screwed up because your not there to defend yourself. flashman.

JPSURF
08-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Never!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Koga
08-02-2007, 05:28 PM
replies to the same question in the linework forum. Its still against OSHA rules no matter where its done.

Koga