PDA

View Full Version : IBEW and AED's

BigClive
07-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Has the IBEW ever actually investigated the situation regarding the ready availability of portable defibrillators and their potential for saving lives in the electrical industries? It strikes me that the ideal organisation for promoting the use of AED's (Automatic External Defibrillators) is the IBEW.

To recap.... The human heart is composed of a large number of muscles that contract in sync to provide the pressure required to pump blood through the body. When an electric shock is received of just the right current to cause part contraction of the heart it can knock the muscles out of sync and the heart goes into a state of fibrillation where some muscles are contracting while others are expanding and the net result is that the heart stops functioning properly. It's absolutely vital that the heart be re-synced as quickly as possible, since the odds of survival are very time critical (minutes). It's not good enough to hope the emergency services arrive quickly, immediate treatment is very important.

When a portable defibrillator is applied across the chest it monitors the heartbeat to see if treatment is needed or even possible. If necessary the unit then provides a synchronising pulse to the heart to bring all the muscles into sync again.

From the crews perspective, when someone is electrocuted they fetch the small defibrillator unit from the cab and as soon as they open it the unit gives spoken instructions. They apply the self adhesive electrodes to the victim according to the images printed on the backs of the electrodes themselves (usually diagonally across the chest). The unit then gives appropriate advice and applies treatment as needed. And that's it. Hopefully the injured worker recovers.

There's really no excuse for the electrical industry not to issue these units given that they expect their employees to work with live electricity on a daily basis. Since we started discussing defibrillators on this forum several people have died who would probably still be here today had a defibrillator been available. It's time to make it a legal requirement that power companies issue these units to their workforce. IBEW has the clout to do that.

BigClive
07-30-2007, 07:35 AM
It's YOU guys that are in the IBEW, so you are in a better position to push for it in America than I am in the UK.

This is a situation where the retired members could make themselves into a "thorn in the side" and potentially save the lives of linemen and other electrical workers.

Little
08-06-2007, 11:23 PM
There's been some talk about that up here this year..

There was a near fatality from induced voltage, where the crew had to perform CPR for 14 mins before paramedics arrived. After this accident, the contractor bought two AEDs. Even this isn't enough for a decent sized company..they put one in the offices! It's, of course, 'too expensive'. Hopefully the cost of AEDs will come down in the next few years as they become more widespread, and I hope insurance companies will start making it more expensive to not have them (after all, it's the money that talks, right?).

I look forward to the time when I know I'll always be able to find one when I need it, right between the first aid kit and the fire extinguisher.

BigClive
08-07-2007, 07:37 AM
They seem to be around the $1000 mark as I recall. That's Nothing compared to what they do. I'm sure the company wouldn't hesitate to buy an astronomically priced time domain reflectometry cable fault tracer. Maybe it all comes down to the profit is more important than safety thing.

In that case they have to be FORCED to supply the things.

They put one in the office and one out for the guys actually exposed to the risk of electrocution? So how many crews share this one machine?

I guess they were "forced" into the action of buying two because of the emotional shock of almost having a death on their hands with the expense that implies.

I stumbled on a really dreadful picture a while back that could be the poster image for defibrillators. The picture is so high resolution and graphic that it could almost be from a film. (Maybe it is...) but if it's not then it truly is unpleasant. Do I post it here with a warning? It's not something I'd actually want those who had lost a family member to see.