PDA

View Full Version : Not Power Industry but....

a78jumper
08-30-2007, 05:39 PM
Food for thought perhaps. I think the machinery aspect of the details has applicability to those here as well.

Yesterday at 3:15 pm while I was on a professional development day, ie on the golf course after a hard morning of planning, at the time my lead hand slipped while getting out of out forklift at my mine located layup yard. Claims he was wearing gloves, as this is gloves on company when in the mine and elsewhere. He grabbed for something and right ring finger and ring snagged on the latch for the fork lift door, resulting in a laceration and a pretty nasty bruised bone. Fortunately did not lose the finger!! One week light duties no lifting the result so I have put him exclusively in the forklift and provided another labourer to halp out with the grunt work.

I stopped wearing rings 15 years ago when I threw 30 lbs of lead diving weights on a belt onto a pier and somehow the belt snagged my ring and broke it before much damage done. Still smarted like &^%$#@! In the navy rings were prohibited on board ship; you could have on your ID disk chain if you wanted.

Anyways how many of you wear rings, whether under gloves or not. There are a lot of things on a tree related worksite to snag rings and the last thing that is needed is a preventable distraction at the wrong moment. Food for thought.

BigClive
08-31-2007, 11:32 AM
It's not just rings that should be banned. It's the marriage that makes you wear them that should be banned. ;)

22900013A
08-31-2007, 12:52 PM
I don't wear any jewellry at all, no piercings either...don't see the point really.

dirtdobber
08-31-2007, 03:01 PM
marriage is of the heart not whats on your finger.do not where jewerly of any kind and suggest to my employees that they not where any. for there own safety no long chains are allowed no bracelets etc.gold platinum white gold etc. these are great conductors.

compression
09-05-2007, 11:09 PM
I've got a ring through the head of my pecker for my wife to lead me around with. I usually keep it tucked away when on the job though. Occasionally it snags on a bin door after a quick squirt while neighbors might be lurking. :eek:

BigClive
09-06-2007, 08:13 AM
I've got a ring through the head of my pecker for my wife to lead me around with. I usually keep it tucked away when on the job though. Occasionally it snags on a bin door after a quick squirt while neighbors might be lurking. :eek:

The correct terminolgy for this piercing being a "Prince Albert" I believe.

My own item of "jewellery" is a small gold hoop earring pirate style. Way back (over twenty years ago) it was common for young tradesmen to get one after they had served their apprenticeship and had become full tradesmen. It's a "trade earring".

I'd say that the only real jewellery risks are metalwork on the hands, particularly round the wrist, or maybe excessively large or dangly metal bits in the ears which pose a snagging hazard. The primary hazard in the electrical industry is that if a wire brushed against a watchstrap or ring then the combination of a large area of metal in close contact with sweaty skin would make for a good body electrode and run the risk of much greater current flowing than would occur if a wire brushed bare dry skin.

Other small facial items like for instance the nose ring adorned by the bearish looking Roger Beckman (pictured) in the image archive of this site pose a pretty low risk that has to be balanced with personal right to a chosen image. In the same vein a beard is not very conductive so theoretically acts as a low but useful level of facial protection against shock. (Not to mention small flying objects and the elements.)

http://www.powerlineman.com/pic_archive/2004/january/rice/br1.jpg

Squizzy
09-06-2007, 10:37 AM
I wonder if you were close enough to some transmission lines weather or not that nose ring would induce enough voltage to "tickle your nose"...

BigClive
09-06-2007, 10:54 AM
It's too small for that. The rest of your face would act as an equipotential plane that would mean the prospective induced voltage would be too low to feel. Theoretically at super high frequencies you could remotely induce current in the ring but the only effect of that would be heat and quite frankly if the energy level was high enough to do that then you might as well have your head in a microwave anyway. :)

Quite frankly he looks the type to stick a crocodile clip on that nose ring for controlled punishment anyway. :rolleyes:

loodvig
09-06-2007, 11:30 AM

Now, really, who gives a fuk? Way too much info!

dirtdobber
09-06-2007, 04:40 PM
that shit looks like and sounds like it hurts.compression what the hell is wrong with ya man your penis for what?:eek: I personally think men with earings no matter where on them have a little sugar in there tanks but just a personal thing dont give me to much shit SWAMP.:)

compression
11-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Sarcasm Detector must need the battery's changed out guys......it is getting close to daylight savings time:D

Come on, you really think there's a lineman out here with his Pecker Pierced? .....Well, okay maybe somewhere there's one.

That induction comment is funny though. Man that would hurt up there on a transmission pole.

billfoster67
11-03-2007, 12:08 PM
I haven't had problem with it for 3 years. My wife is my life, my child is my life. When I have it on me-its apart of me. There are the mechanics of safety. But that ring on my finger and the cross, St. Christopher medal, and the image of Mary are the things that I wear. I pray everyday to the Lord for my safety, my brothers' safety, for my family. I don't plan to go phase to phase or phase to ground. Many men wear wedding rings. Mandating to get rid of jewelry is like, mandating to get rid of your soul if items mean something.

I have been up a lot of 500 kv towers, and gloved a lot of distribution. It hasn't been an issue. The religious items I wear with leather.