PDA

View Full Version : Climber Pads

Festus
09-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey guys....I just started climbing school last week and I was wondering what everybody thinks about diffrent kinds of climbing pads. Right now I have the straight C-pads and they are really uncomfortable. I've heard some guys like the Velcro style. Im a bigger guy at 5'10 220lbs. Just wondering what the veterans like the best for comfort.
Festus

IronLine
09-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Hey bud, at SLTC we used the offset bashlin gaffs and pads and they worked real well for me, also, if your gaffs are hurting your feet, which I found a lot of the bigger fellas at scool suffered from they do have "pussy pads" (the instructors names for 'em not mine) which go in between your hooks and the arch of your foot to relieve some of the pressure. Take care man good luck be safe.

42linehand
09-08-2007, 01:40 PM
Buckingham velcro pads with the metal insert. I have used different types in the past and these are by far the best.

Festus
09-08-2007, 01:41 PM
The problem I am having is more of the upper support. Some guys use the T pads and I have seen some others with the velcro style. From what I have found out so far is that the C-pad rides into your shins at an angle where the cushioning doesnt help at all. What style pads do you have on your hooks ironline?

Festus
09-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Thanks 42linehand. The velcro style seems to have enough support but not leave your shins bloody when your up and down the pole 20 times a day? I seen some guys with the metal insert and some without. Is it a big deal or does it provide more support?

harley
09-10-2007, 08:49 AM
If the C pad is digging into your shin you have them adjusted wrong. I would guess you have them set to high. They don't set as high as the T pad. I wore C pads for years, never had a problem with them after I had them adjusted.

PK270
09-10-2007, 12:28 PM
I have used the Bashlin with the steel inserts for 20 years, I used a set of velcros when they came out and I didnt like them. I just bought a new set of Bashlins (steel insert) that are a double pad (twice as long), they have 2 straps. They make you sweat slightly more but they distribute the pressure across a broader area on your shin. I have spent 6 hrs straight for several days on a pole with no discomfort, at least there was not the typical "raw" shins from climbing. If you can use several types and find the one you like. Many guys will swear by different brands. See what works best for you if you can.

Good luck.

42linehand
09-10-2007, 07:10 PM
To me the metal insert makes a big difference. It gives you much more support. Hope that this helped.

Edge
09-11-2007, 07:48 PM
Buckingham makes a variety of good pads in the Velcro style... Wrap around, wrap around with metal insert, wrap around with the "D" ring to bind them down... and more.... all very comfortable...

But if it's good enuff to damned near come with guarantee to keep your ass in the stick... it's prolly form Bashlin....(I really like that new style 2 strap pad they got out atm...)

remember... keep your toes up!!! and be safe bud....

Edge

LINE WORK: if it was easy.... You could do it

compression
09-17-2007, 11:28 PM
I went through the same thing with those stiff ass c-pads. You gotta put'em in a vice and bend the crap out of them so they ride flush with your shin....once you wear a hole in your shin you're gonna ge bloody everyday for a long time.

I broke down and bought the buckingham velcro's with metal and the cinch....for around 90 bucks. If I had known that they were gonna be as comfortable as they are I woulda gave them alot more! Definitely cadillac stuff. Getcha a pair and you'll be jumpin out to them monkey braces!

Limberneck
09-17-2007, 11:34 PM
I'll second that - first time I wore my velcro pads I remember feeling like I didn't have any hooks on at all. :D

graybeard
09-29-2007, 06:46 AM
I was the first one to get the velcrow steel insert pads and took alot of guff for it. But after letting new guys try them I'm not the only one using them. Is anyone using the WOLF hooks? Tryed them when I was helping train an app at climing school, they were alot differnt then my Bashlin offsets but I kind of liked them.