PDA

View Full Version : New CPR technique.

BigClive
09-13-2007, 08:15 PM
A new technique for giving CPR seems to have been discovered that makes giving CPR safer and more efficient. The technique involves pressing the abdominal area instead of the chest which greatly reduces the pressure required and the risk of breaking ribs while also increasing the amount of blood flow and providing lung operation via the movement of the diaphragm that negates the need for separate mouth to mouth.

More details here:-

http://news.uns.purdue.edu/x/2007b/070905GeddesCPR.html

What do you guys think?

Squizzy
09-15-2007, 09:17 AM
Interesting thats the first I have heard of it no doubt the powers that be will have a look at it and we will get taught another method. Did my first aid a few months back and they have changed the EAR and CPR aound just that little bit that I had to go back and look at the card just to make sure its the "new" standard. I did have an issue with our new EAR as we now don't do EAR its straight CPR. I had a go at the instructor as every summer here there is always some poor sod gets bitten by a blue ring octopus which causes voluntry muscle paralysis meaning if you can move it, it will stop that includes breathing so once the diaphram stops what then? Just wait for the heart to stop, two or three years back this guy got one down south and had to be driven around in the back of a ute recieving EAR trying to find a hospital the whole time the victem was fully aware of what was happening he just couldn't say or do anything it took several hours for the venom to wear off and he did survive:D :D

IronLine
09-15-2007, 11:20 AM
Squiz...What the hell is EAR? LOL Never heard of it. Before entering this field I was an EMT for 4 years so this is an awesome break-through. Might miss that rice crispy feeling of cpr on the elderly but whatever can help save more lives right? Everything in the article makes complete sense from a medical point of view, especially forcing involuntary respirations by compressing the diaphragm, thats amazing. Going to make quite a few people feel like jackasses for not thinking of it before....Only thing I don't like is anything GW gives an award for can't be all that smart....:D

BigClive
09-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Apparently the technique is not new. There seems to be a risk of internal damage associated with it, but then, anything's better than death. (And chest compressions raise the risk of broken ribs and lacerated innards anyway.)

Of course, the people who suggest it may cause internal damage could just be mouthing off because the new technique is "not like we've always done it".

IronLine
09-15-2007, 01:29 PM
I agree, I would rather have a bruised or lacerated liver than a punctured lung or heart. Unless you've got one helluva big/strong fella pumping on your gut though thats about the worst you're going to get. Nothing down there really "pops" ya know?

Squizzy
09-16-2007, 03:29 AM
Expired Air Resusitation ie you have found a pulse but there is no breathing...

IronLine
09-17-2007, 12:10 PM
Got it, we just call it rescue breathing. Yours sounds a lot more complex lol

BigClive
09-17-2007, 12:57 PM
I think it's still called "the breath of life" here. It used to be called "the kiss of life" but that was considered a bit camp.