PDA

View Full Version : What is practical exam?

frankp
09-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I passed a written exam for an apprentice position and the next step is a practical exam. Does anyone have an idea of what this may include?

IronLine
09-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Depends on the company brother, some places give you simple sets of instructions just to see if you can follow them, my other buddy tested with a little co-op down in AL, and they wanted him to do a transformer change out, tie in two lines on a double crossarm, of course exhibit his climbing, and tie 8 knots so it can vary. I'm sure if you contact their HR dept. they will give you an idea hopefully! If you see any of their linecrew out working in the area on break you could always stop by and ask. Good luck man!

Doggboi
09-20-2007, 09:05 PM
On my most recent interview there was a series of tests ,

Measure off 24" on a spike, drive it into the ground, retrieve it , and then drive it and retrieve it again.

Climb a ladder, belt off, hand over hand a bag up , tie it off to a center rope, untie the first rope.. tie it to a rope on the opposite side , untie the center rope, and then hand over hand it down. unbelt, and climb down ( actually lost a guy at this point, he refused to climb the ladder even with fall arrest )

Removing a Ladder from a truck and carrying it to a pole, leaning it , and then retrieving and putting the ladder back on the truck.

Measure off 18" of guy wire, tape it , and cut it. Followed by Removing a coil of guy wire from the back of a truck , by climbing up into the truck , laying the coil down , climbing down , and putting the coil over your shoulder.

Assemble a t bracket with a cut out and a lightning arrestor on a pole stub. There is one to look at and copy.

And the most fun , with only hand tool , dig a 18" x 24" hole , then place the dirt in a wheel barrow , march it around a cone, and shovel it back into the hole, tamping every 6 inches.

Along with this there was an interview with approximately 6-8 guys on the panel.

IronLine
09-21-2007, 12:03 AM
Damn. That hurt my head just reading it let alone trying to do it! Did you have a cheat sheet or someone coaching ya? Its all simple stuff, sounds like the majority of it just tests your ability to follow directions. And the jackass wouldn't climb a LADDER? What the hell is he gonna do when he has to climb a pole? Dumbass. (TK rubbed off on me bad)