PDA

View Full Version : What does a underground tech do?

scrapster1
09-30-2007, 11:56 AM
Hey guys, i was accepted into the Calvejatc about 7 months ago and im still waiting for the climbing class-hopefully they call me soon. I got my class a and everything, i just cant wait to get going...Im excited and i really want to start learning and being part of something greater. Anyways, i signed the books down at the hall last week and tommorow im supposed to start as an underground tech? Can anybody give me some advice on what to expect

Koga
10-01-2007, 07:11 AM
to what goes on. Dont be afraid to ask questions, and do what your told. Dont stand around with your fingers up your ass while a senior man has a shovel in his hands digging something up.If you know it needs to be done dont wait to be told, just do it. After you have seen what it takes to do a job such as making up elbows or a splice , then have things ready do it. Your job is to have things ready and make your linemans job as easy on him as possible.He has already done his time . Have things ready and clean up after the job is through. Keep the truck clean and keep a list of everything used during the day to restock the truck. Just as important is learn the safe way to do things. Learn the safety rules and procedures you have at your co . If it dont feel right or your told to do something you know aint right then stop and question it. Cover your ass. The wrong move can kill your ass in this buisness. This is a few things off the top of my head to help get ya started . Good luck .

Koga

scrapster1
10-01-2007, 09:38 AM
Hey, i wont forget the advice. i needed to hear it and that helps ot alot.THANKS.

dirtdobber
10-01-2007, 06:26 PM
KOGA, is correct the only thing I will add is for your benefit underground relys on your prints. make sure every chance you get you read the print and ask ?????. the only stupid ? is the one you do not ask.:)

Pootnaigle
10-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Follow Kogas advice and remember that anytime you see a lineman with a shovel in his hand you must not be doing something right.Your job as a helper is ,sad to say. whatever crummy job ( that can be done on the ground and on de energised stuff) comes along.Muddy work has your name all over it.Show some potential and the lineman will help you avoid Laborious misteaks. Dont show any and he will watch you work yourself to death n maybe grin.Absolutrly Positively do not sit on your ass and wait for direction. The instant youre not busy ask what else can be done. This advice is, as most, free of charge. Follow it and prosper dont and its anybodys guess.

scrapster1
10-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Im going to take your advice to the fullest. I just cant wait to get going, i just want to get dirty , bust my ass, and learn all i can. All the things you guys said made hella sense to me. Its a respect thing and its a gotta earn it thing. And me being me I want to have the shovel in my hand more than any body else because i want to earn mine, like you guys. This is a new beginning for me and my family and im gonna put 110 percent of my heart into it. Its a new life, a better life and hopefully if god lets me finish the apprenticeship-Ill be somebody for real a LINEMAN. Thanks again for helping this wannabe...

scrapster1
10-02-2007, 12:17 AM
Attitude Determines Altitude

lineman-up
10-02-2007, 12:49 PM
sounds like you have the right attitude and hopefully have a pretty good sense of humor, you are in for a real ride. the physical work is only part of the training you will endure the lineman will test you mentally also. some yelling will probably be involved and you will get to be the butt of many jokes(many) but how you take them will determine if you ever get to play them on someone else. i also see you like sayings here is a cool one!!

"luck is what happens when opportuntiy meets preparation" my dad always says it but it is true.. when all my buddies went to college i bought a set of hooks and a belt. i bought the first new truck they said i was lucky (prepared) i was a crew foreman on my construction crew at age 25 they said i got lucky cuz some of the older guys were just happening to be retiring(prepared) then when a city job open up in the town i grew up in they said i got lucky and got this job (prepared is what i call it) they say good things come to those who wait, i say dont stand around and wait to long some one like me will push ya down on the way to what i fell is rightly mine. just a little advice and get ready.

oh and make sure you know how to use the wire stretcher it makes underground work so much easier!! good luck :D

49pan
10-02-2007, 07:24 PM
All good advice, listen to them. For 25 years I was pure OH, when I moved It took me awhile to adapt to the UG, even as a journeyman. Remember overhead for show, underground for DOE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ be safe

Doggboi
10-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I was a few months out , working in Overhead, and recently have been introduced to Underground. One thing I can tell you is my mindset.. and its something I am going to have to continue to remind myself... That we put OH wires up high so people dont mess with them.. An open transformer can/pedistal is a very dangerous thing.

But what everyone else here said.. is spot on. Its been explained to me, ( and I believe it ) that a good ( helper ) assistant knows what the Lineman ( or linemen ) need before they need it. And a good Helper ( assistant/groundman ) will make a decent lineman.

Good luck , come back here and tell stories of your days on the job

scrapster1
10-03-2007, 02:45 AM
I was supposed to get out to work this monday...But they havent called me yet. I got a good friend down at the hall and he said hes gonna get me going not to worry...Well im worrying. Im eager, impatient and want to start working like-YESTERDAY. I got a big family and i want to be productive. I hate sitting. Ive been calling everyday to see if i can get in. I just dont want to piss those guys off at the hall because they might just accidently forget about me. I keep telling myself that its gonna happen I just need to be patient. I dont know what else I can do to start working. Im accepted at the apprenticeship, just waiting on the climbing class-I got my class A as well...I guess i just gotta pray more. I want to be a brother.You guys have any advice for me?

HookMan
10-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Koga just about nailed it. Dont be scared of it, just RESPECT it, this determines whether you wind up in a bed or a bag at the end of the day. Also respect the guys you work with but be cautious to trust everything they say be 100% sure for yourself. Do as much as you can, if you have the opportunity to get in and do terminations etc... do it, dont just sit on the side of the hole and shoot the sh*t.

Dont let the yelling and jokes get to ya, they both will subside with time. Just pay attention and listen listen and listen some more. A good groundman makes a good lineman for sure. Be patient as you progress, gloves and sleeves are work but you get to the point when you dont feel right without them. Be prepared and have the stuff you need in advance and take the initiative to do stuff on your own. Hope I helped ya, and welcome to a whole nother world. Good luck and keep us posted.

surfinlineman
10-14-2007, 09:59 PM
The UG tech classification is separate from actual outside linework here in LU 47 and 1245, it was created to cover things like dirtwork and traffic control. The bargaining aggrement is separate from outside line although administered from the same hall. Wages, benefits and description of work are different. For any questions in LU 47 contact Scott, he is in charge of the " teledata" side.
Be careful of the work you do if you are working alongside an actual "line crew". Some of the JL and foremen will try to get you to do work out of your classification. Some guys will be unpleasant, just cuz they can. Let them know you are going into the JATC and they will probly be happy to answer questions.
First day, first thing, find your shop steward, let him know who you are, and that you are in it for the long haul.

Ski_Digger
10-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Koga has hit the nail on the head as everyone else. Stay bussy and work hard listen to what everyone has to say. Urd is a whole other world. Don't trust it. Make sure it is Dead and Grounded or wear your gloves, and yes you can terminate with gloves (rubber) on. One other thing make sure your tagging is right for sources, taps and loads. Seems everything gets changed but the tagging in the long run. Good Luck.

scrapster1
10-17-2007, 02:30 AM
I appreciate the advice from all you fellas. I need to get as much information that I can. Hopefully everything goes good.