PDA

View Full Version : Starting Out

TN_Lineman
10-08-2007, 12:17 PM
My Name is Matt and i am 18. I am attending high school in Jackson, TN. I will graduate in May of 2008. I am planning to attend the Southeast Lineman Training Center in the Fall of 2008. Can anyone give me advice about the school and what you can do when your not in school?

newbie22
10-08-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm going to attend NLC this spring and they recommended weight training to prepare for it. Along with the weight training I've been doing my cardio on a stair climber to strengthen my legs.

TN_Lineman
10-09-2007, 12:11 PM
I'm 6'3 260lbs right now. I'm going to get down to about 220 or 230 before its time to start the school. I've talked to a lot of older lineman and they say they prefer to climb a pole and work than to use a bucket truck because the truck gives you back problems in the long run. What are your guys opinions?

nate42
10-09-2007, 08:39 PM
i attended the southeast lineman trainning center and it is one of the best things that i have ever done. the instructers are good people and will teach you the basics you will need to know. also you will be a very confident climber. they also have alot of companies from tennesse that will come and recrute you. befoe you go get your class A CDL. if you have any questions send me a message.

IronLine
10-09-2007, 09:10 PM
Hey TN check out the Southeast Lineman Training Center thread a couple of posts down. We've got a lot of information.

TN_Lineman
10-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Hey, nate what exactly is a class A CDL?

nate42
10-10-2007, 04:55 PM
your class A CDL is you commercial drivers licence and A is your class. go to your local DMV and get a CDL book. they are free and you will need to study General knowledge air breaks and combination trailers. it is the same licence truck drivers have. you will need no other endorsements. you will also have to ask them at the DMV where you can take you CDL physical at. you will have to take that physical. then take the written tests and you will be ready to take your driving test. your CDL manual will emplane what you will need to do. one of the first questions the recruiters will ask u is if u have your CDL

TN_Lineman
10-10-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey nate,
My high school offers college days in the spring semester. I was wanting to take 2 days to come to the Southeast Lineman Training Centre to look at the place and kinda get a feel of the atmoshere around there. Do you know if the school will let you come visit?

Thanks for the tip about your CDL:)

TN_Lineman
10-11-2007, 01:14 PM
i never hear anyone talk about the classroom work at the SLTC. how is it?

nate42
10-20-2007, 06:46 PM
yes the school wants you to come and see the school. if u need to get a hotel they have one that you will get at a discounted price. when you call you will want to talk to david powell. you can tell them that i refered you there and it will help you and me. i refer you and you get in and i get $100. you will not be disapointed.

Doggboi
10-26-2007, 08:00 PM
I graduated 04/07 from SLTC and like IronLine said previously there is a thread HERE (http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?t=2738) And I wrote up a short blurb on my time at SLTC HERE (http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/showthread.php?t=2299&highlight=noob) And as nate said they have no problem with you coming by to check the place out. I definately suggest visiting to anyone considering spending that kind of money on a school.

And nate you wont see the money until a month or two after he graduates.. by then you should be well into a program and making good $$. I owe Iron line some adult beverages next time he manages to get over to my side of the world and comes down from his chopper ride.

More than happy to answer any questions you guys have about sltc and what happens afterwards and with the 'recruiters' the school too.

IronLine
11-07-2007, 12:17 AM
THATS RIGHT YOU BASTARD!! I had forgotten about that! You do owe me money lol. I'm in Montana right now, just got here from ND, and before that MN and WI. Should be here another week and then I guess I'm heading to LA. Its been pretty awesome man, I've gotten to do all kinds of platform work, bird diverter installations and marker balls, fixed/replaced some shield wire shoes, its been amazing. Never seen beauty til' you've seen Montana as the sun is going down, cookin along at 60knots on a platform, watching the mountains, fields, and elk all passing by hundreds of feet below ya...I would recommend this job to anyone!!

flhdawg
11-07-2007, 06:49 PM
Ya see Iron sounds like you were right that you would regret later on in life not taking that position and trying it out...see what you would of missed out on I am jealous man keep having fun and be safe!

IronLine
11-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Hell buddy we're always hiring lol c'mon down. The chance for advancement is always open too, they're bring me on as their First Aid/CPR Instructor too, little bump in pay as well. Always nice lol. And the learning curve is gentle yet fast if that makes any sense. They never make you do anything you are not comfortable with, and they do everything they can to help you understand what is going on, why its going on, and what could happen if something goes wrong. Its pretty nice. Hows the kid doin?

flhdawg
11-08-2007, 05:47 AM
I'm a bit to old for that kinda work lmao.....but it's nice to live it thru you. My son is doing great at school, loves the work, just getting a little bored with his down time but all and all taking to the work fine. I think he wants to come home after school is over and try to hook up with a job around here, with the kind of training he is getting it should be only a matter of time. I will mention the chopper work to him though he is a daredevil and that sounds right up his alley lol.

IronLine
11-09-2007, 11:54 PM
I'm glad to hear he's doing well! Tell him he shouldn't have any downtime, he needs to either be studying, at the gym, or at school practicing his climbing. Don't care if he spends his downtime drinking, I don't know how many drunken knot tying contests or 1/2 shitfaced study sessions we had, almost all of our downtime was spent studying. Damn slacker lol. Too old? No way! We've got plenty of older lineman who have done their groundwork and move on into helo work. Got to change out my first insultated shield wire insulator (which is because I broke it trying to straiten out a shoe lol) was pretty neat. Got to hear that cool beepbeepbeepbeepbeep noise you hear in the movies, ya know the one where there is an engine failure? LOL High altitudes and high winds make for bad flying conditions, luckily the pilot was able to get it back. Course my dumbass is out there "WOW COOL!"....I think I've got issues!

flhdawg
11-14-2007, 07:59 PM
ya i think u do have issues...you're insane!

be safe

hillbilly
11-18-2007, 07:14 PM
I believe you would do yourself a bunch of good if you contacted the I.B.E.W.
All the training you get is free.And no matter where you go young brother you will have a certain amount of respect.The ticket in my pocket is worth allot when I show up.I dont have to prove anything to anyone period.I am a Journeyman Lineman,and that is good in all fifty states Panama,and Canada.If you dont go union you constantly have to prove where you came from and what you may or may not know.I have met allot of Linemen who came to the union who were competant enough.Do you really want to pay all that money to be just good enough to start,bet not,I am from East Tennessee and would love to see a big ol' apprentice from Jackson out here.I can make more than 100k in six months time depending on the work.After that I can kill me a bear and have home time.
Don,t let union spook you,it aint the same union that burned everything 150 years ago down here in dixie.This bunch is a brother hood that will look out after your future as long as you do your part.Everybody isnt perfect but I bet you would be better served here.Good luck young-un.