PDA

View Full Version : Starting out with union

newbie22
10-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Once I graduate from NLC, I want to go the union route for an apprenticeship. Can I go to the union hall and just sign up or do I have to apply through the JATC? Does anybody know who recruits from NLC? Thankyou for any info.

Oregon Lineman
10-11-2007, 11:00 PM
In the Pacific Northwest you will need to go through the NW Line JATC. I think they interview 2 or 3 times per year. Their phone No# is 503-253-8202 or on the web at nwlinejatc.com The directors name is Bill Stone. I know a couple of kids that were able to start out with Pacific Gas & Electric as apprentices or grunt right out of NLC. You can also go to the Union Hall and sign the Books and go out as a groundman, mostly on the tree side. It is some experience. Good Luck to You

surfinlineman
10-14-2007, 09:34 PM
Cal- nev JATC call for the address, 951-685-8658, then you have to send a request for application in writing. I think all the JATCs operate like this as the apps are numbered and monitored by US DOL. We have over 300 apes in cal-nev right now, the work has been real good for several years, but a couple are on lay offs from time to time. PGE, SDGE, LADWP, and SCE all have ape programs also, but (throw some gas on the fire), outside line is where you learn to be a lineman, LOL!!!