PDA

View Full Version : lineman career

nathan700
10-19-2007, 03:57 PM
I have a couple questions about being a lineman.

Will a 2 year lineman training school be beneficial in the long run?

When you get to be about 50 years old, are you still climbing poles and stuff or can you advance to supervisory positions?

Bull Dog
10-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Go to the local union for outside wiremen and apply for an apprentiship. 2 yrs sound like too much time for a lineman's school. Most of the ap's around here go for a year or less but they continue for 5 more years when they get into the program and top out. Yes you will climb till you retire if you stay in the overhead department but there are other departments that never climb. Lots of the time is spent in a bucket now a days. When you get a position as you call it the climbing is much less or not at all. Not everyone gets a position though so getting into another department would help some. Trouble is the night work might still require you to climb... Good luck. I wouldn't think about hanging up my hooks just yet!

Koga
10-19-2007, 10:26 PM
or school taught by real qualified lineman will be benificial down the road. As long as you realize its just a start. And not a 2 year I'm a journyman crash course.

Second question. Im 52 goin on 28 years in the buisness. Yes I still climb. Did last night twice. Dont have to as much. Now a days I have a choice . Not sure Id want a supervisory position.

Genoin NW
10-21-2007, 10:18 PM
There are many great schools out there that teach the fundamentals of basic linework and prepare you for an apprenticeship with a construction outfit or utility. Get all the pretraining you can to prepare yourself.

Climbing after 50? You bet! I'm 56 and I've been in this trade for 32 years. I still prefer climbing to the bucket but that bucket looks better and better every day. Those aches and pains are more frequent now. I'd like to know how many verticle miles I've climbed in my career, that would be interesting... I've been a foreman for 10 years and have no interest in being in the office behind a desk.

Good luck, be safe...

ready2go
10-21-2007, 11:48 PM
nlc has a great pre apprentice program that only takes about 15 weeks. so you should check them out.

nathan700
10-22-2007, 04:17 PM
Alright, thanks for the info guys.

One more question.

There is a technical college thats pretty close to my hometown that has a 2 year program and a 1 year diploma. Would going for 2 years make someone more desirable or would the 1 year be just as good for getting hired?

Pootnaigle
10-22-2007, 07:06 PM
The greatest benefit will be the schools( in the tuition you hafta pay) Other than that and from what I have seen the new hires out of school dont know much of anything.True some of em can climb a tad and most of em have a CDL ( Probably the biggest benefit) when they graduate.Dont sell that short It relieves Companies from having to help get em.But you can get that on your own if youre driven.An apprenticeship thru any local construction union will carry you just as far and let you learn on the job with a few nights of school thrown in for good measure. Damn sure cheaper on you that way( You earn and learn at the same time)

Doggboi
10-26-2007, 09:14 PM
just as a side note.. when I joined this site.. most of the old timers scoffed at the schools saying that you shouldnt have to pay for something that you can get paid for.

Its refreshing.

On topic .. Even with schooling, some IOU's and companies will not recognize anything other than their own training. And some company's will not hire people without any schooling. You might want to poke around, find out where you want to work ( location ) investigate the companies/union in the area, and call and ask questions. You can never be too informed.

Good Luck

markwho
11-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Nathan, Does the 2 yr program offer you an associates degree? If it does is that something you would like to have? You don't really need it but may be of use down the road if you want to branch out to a different job in the same field such as safety and or training. Or it maybe just the satisfaction in knowing that you earned it.
My son tried SLTC, but it didn't pan out for him and is waiting to hear from a local utility who is in the process of hiring. My thoughts were that it would give him a nod in his favor as far as getting a job. He did get some climbing experience in wich I think will help him anyway. Like dogboi says ask around and see where you want to work. If you go through NEAT some of their training earns you credits towards a degree, 20 I believe. But that would entail going to school nights.
Good Luck, Mark