PDA

View Full Version : Should I get CDL?

newbie22
10-22-2007, 08:02 AM
I'm attending NLC in March and they offer the permit only for a CDL. I'm debating if I should go ahead and pay a trucking school $4,000.00 to go ahead and get my CDL. Can anyone tell would this make me a much better candidate to get in with the Local 47 or 1245. thanks.

ready2go
10-22-2007, 11:16 PM
they do just offer your permit but they just started having a guy from dmv come over and help get you started, call them and talk to charlie

damn_encode
10-22-2007, 11:38 PM
I wouldnt pay for a seperate CDL from another school. If you enter into the Mountain States JATC they require that you have your CDL before 6 months or they hold your step until you get it.

Lots of people that I went to orientation with didnt have it, they just used the company provided trucks and a trailer equipped with air brakes to get their Class A. The driving parts easy, passing all the knowledge tests are whats difficult.

Just an option, but if you can get it while your in line school I would.

newbie22
10-23-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I was told by a lineman from SCE the CDL would help alot if I wanted to try and work for Local 47. I can take a class here locally for $10 that preps people for the permit. I think I'll do that instead and wait and see what happens after lineman school.

Oregon Lineman
10-23-2007, 08:12 PM
One simple answer. YES. It make you more useful. I would look around before paying that kind of money though. Work Safe

MEGA81
10-23-2007, 09:07 PM
I am going through the same thing right now. I didn’t attend a line school, but I am a grunt through LU 84 (have not even been called out yet, so a green grunt at that) who is about to apply to SELCAT here in GA and the CDL requirement sounds the same. I am planning on getting the permit, and taking the test in a company truck, once I get situated. I think the main point is getting your application in to the JATC/IBEW as soon as possible. If you have to get the actual license to remain competitive in the app. pool, cross that bridge when you get there. Either way, best of luck to ya!

WCLR
10-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Yes get your CDL's. It will be worth it. Most companies will hire you if you have your CDL's over someone that doesnt. That driving part is easy (if you can drive...haha), the tests werent bad, but if you have no knowledge of vehicles the pre-trip will be tough. The majority of people that fail the CDL test fail the pre-trip.

Most companies are going away from paying for your CDL test. When I started they also gave me 6 months to get them or I wouldnt get a pay raise or move up.

Doggboi
10-26-2007, 08:52 PM
What I have found is the permit is a must. The company you go to after NLC may have their own CDL process though , so that will save you some duckets.

Just a heads up