PDA

View Full Version : I finaly got the call!!!!!

scrapster1
10-25-2007, 10:20 PM
I finaly got the call. This morning I got a call from the training school and they told me I start my career on the 5th next month. I am so happy that it is actually happening. I cant wait! If any of you guys out there got any advice for a wanna be--any would be much appreciated. Thanks

ready2go
10-26-2007, 01:41 AM
first congrats, second make sure you get enough rest and buy proper boots. have fun and becareful.

newbie22
10-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Who are you starting with?

scrapster1
10-27-2007, 02:40 AM
Im starting with Calnevjatc. Its located in Riverside. Gonna do my best. Hope I can learn as much as I can.

newbie22
10-27-2007, 12:41 PM
Congrats! I'm going to try and go that route after I attend NLC in the spring of '08. Please post your progress and good luck.

cj28
10-27-2007, 09:29 PM
get a good pair of boots west coast perferred and learn all you can

RWD
10-28-2007, 01:54 PM
1st, Take your time getting boots. It'll be a few days or weeks (posibly months) before you need them. Talk to the old timers on your crew. Look at the boots they wear. Find out if you'll be climbing a lot or a little climbing with a lot of bucket work. Then make your choice.

Two things will happen, one, They will like it if you take their advice and it shows you are willing to listen to them.

2nd, Gear: There is a lot of new gear out there. I've had to buy a bunch in the last few years. I think 6 or 8 belts and hooks for the guys in Yei. I started out buying the Bashlin belts. Tried and true and great equipment. Since it was not my money, I thought it would be nice to compare different belts. I bought some buckingham synthetic belts. They are fairly new on the market but I've come to like them. I've also had the chance to give them feedback and I noted that they incorporated my comments quickly and their newer belts are even better. The synthetics are lighter and more comfortable out the gate. No need for saddle soap and oil. I'm going to talk to them about a new way to connect the ditty bag to the belt.

There is a new scare strap out too. It adjusts easily around the pole. It's a slip buckle. The guys don't like it but I loved it. If your climbing in areas where poles are big at the butt and real small at the top you can adjust in a few seconds rather that leaning around to unbuckle and buckle the belt to size.

Look at the hand tools on the job too. Some outfits use ratchets and others crescent wrenches. I've worked for a lot of outfits and have found that each outfit uses a little different combination of tools.

As for hammers, I've always likes a roofing or framing hammer with a fiberglass handle. Some places make you smooth off the waffle on the head but they have a good swing and ballance for lag screws and staples.

Part of melting into a new crew is learning the guys. Part of learning them is finding out the small things. Some things seem small but you'll find a guy that swears by a type of hammer or wrench and following his advice is going to help you get in. Same goes with boots, Gloves (although why anyone would use any glove but "Yellowstones elkhide" escapes me) and other items.

Good luck.

RWD

YooperTurnedFloridian
11-01-2007, 12:04 AM
Hello all! Been a while since I have been on here, just returned from another military excursion! About the FPL Apprentice school, how does one get info about getting into this school? I have been to a line school in Michigan. I have all my gear and have done some work on transmission lines in Fl since 2003. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Moving to Miami Lakes in Jan and have heard that the school is down south. Once again anything would be greatly appreciated! God bless!