PDA

View Full Version : Vero Beach, Fl. Worker Shocked

safetman1
10-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Please keep Jason in your thoughts and prayers

Vero electric worker shocked by live wire
By Henry A. Stephens (Contact)
Friday, October 26, 2007

VERO BEACH — A city electric worker was shocked Thursday morning by a live wire while doing some preventive maintenance on a power switch at State Road 60 and 23rd Avenue.

Jason Erwin, 28, of Palm City, was transferred later to Orlando Regional Medical Center's Burn Unit for evaluation, city officials said.

Indian River County Assistant Fire Chief Brian Burkeen said Erwin was conscious and talking after the shock, but said he had "pretty significant burns on both hands," most in the thumb and palm area.

City Transmission and Distribution Director Randall McCamish said Erwin was up in a bucket about 10:20 a.m. Thursday, trying to move a switch from the east side of a power pole to the north side to avoid contact with tree limbs if the crew ever had to replace the fuse.

McCamish didn't know the details of how Erwin was shocked, and Erwin declined to comment later. But somehow, McCamish said, Erwin got near the top of the switch, which was connected to a line carrying 7,620 volts east-west along S.R. 60.

That much power, McCamish said, was enough to have shocked Erwin through the air, if he was close, without physical contact.

"This probably jumped out and got him," McCamish said.

The bottom of the switch, leading north across S.R. 60 at 23rd Avenue, had been cut off for the work, McCamish said, adding he didn't know why the top line was still live.

Firemedics first took Erwin to the Indian River Medical Center emergency room, where he was listed in fair condition before the transfer to Orlando.

"When you get a high-voltage shock, (doctors) won't know how you're doing internally for two or three days," McCamish said.

Records show Erwin joined the city as a lineman in August 2006 following similar work for Florida Power & Light Co. from 2000 through 2005.

BigClive
10-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Yes. It _could_ jump out at 7kV but let's face it, it would be barely more than 3/8". Sounds like one of those accidents that happens.

safetman1
10-26-2007, 03:55 PM
All of our line-trucks, supervisors and police dept have them on their vehicles, he did not go into v-tach. There was approx. 30 people there within 3 minutes all with AED's in hand. I just left the burn center in Orlando and Jason is doing really good. Burns to both hands and right thumb. Hope he will have a full recovery.

BigClive
10-26-2007, 04:13 PM
I hope he makes a good recovery.

Great to hear your company has the defibrillators on hand in case something does happen.

scammy
10-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I would like to here the truth about what happend,,,victom needs to man up,,,,,so we can all benifite,,,,,scammy

Orgnizdlbr
10-28-2007, 09:03 AM
I would like to here the truth about what happend,,,victom needs to man up,,,,,so we can all benifite,,,,,scammy

Lets wait till the investigation is over Scam.......

buzzit125
10-28-2007, 12:28 PM
Where are the rubber gloves in this accident?
AC don't jump out and get you. I'm with Scammy... :confused:

Orgnizdlbr
10-28-2007, 12:46 PM
Where are the rubber gloves in this accident?
AC don't jump out and get you. I'm with Scammy... :confused:

You and I werent there, we know it dont jump. But there are other implications, before we go jumping the gun and finding fault, let the investigation confirm what happened before we go give the wrong folks ideas.........

loodvig
10-28-2007, 01:02 PM
You and I werent there, we know it dont jump. But there are other implications, before we go jumping the gun and finding fault, let the investigation confirm what happened before we go give the wrong folks ideas.........

The above advice is right on the money! We all can read between the lines here. But we are not the only ones who read this!

US & CA Tramp
10-28-2007, 05:13 PM
The above advice is right on the money! We all can read between the lines here. But we are not the only ones who read this!

It certainly would be too bad to have anyone reading these posts get the wrong idea! After all Mr. McCamish is busy enough trying to cover the City of Vero and his ASS!

I pray this young man keeps his hands, and that his family contacts Rusty White.

scammy
10-29-2007, 06:16 PM
yes,many things could have gone wrong,,,,I hope he is ok,,,the facts will come out ,,,scammy,buy the way ,,didnt mean to come off like an ass,,,,its just the way I am ,,sorry,scammy

Orgnizdlbr
10-29-2007, 08:14 PM
No need to be sorry Scam, when we post, we just need to be cognizant of the fact not only us lineman visit this site...............

iceman1
10-29-2007, 08:15 PM
I know some guys on this system from what they were told he was readjusting a switch with the top side still hot,one hand on the top of the switch and the other on a fiberglass bracket that was tracking he had leather work gloves on,they took the bracket for the inspection

biff2ibew
10-29-2007, 09:40 PM
1stlet me say how i hope every thing is alright and jason makea afull recovery. i know from personnal experance that randle the reat of the management take this mishap serously i worked there as contractor for w,a .chester for 2yrs. & they take safety as job one. i was not there but what it sounds like to me is another power company hand that came from big company to small company & over confindent and in hurry took short cut and got burned.

safetman1
10-29-2007, 10:13 PM
I know some guys on this system from what they were told he was readjusting a switch with the top side still hot,one hand on the top of the switch and the other on a fiberglass bracket that was tracking he had leather work gloves on,they took the bracket for the inspection

Iceman1 is correct, that is what has happened. After doing some interviews with the crew and speaking with Jason at one point the switch was dead and the last step he made it hot after booming down it was decided the the switch needed to be readjusted, Jason boomed back up and did not put his gloves on. We utilize a 5 foot rule or anything above the neutral you must wear your rubber. Jason will have surgery on his right hand Wednesday hoping for a full recovery.