PDA

View Full Version : N. Idaho utility worker electrocuted

PA BEN
10-26-2007, 06:35 PM
N. Idaho utility worker electrocuted
THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
HAYDEN, Idaho -- A 23-year-old north Idaho utility worker has died after being electrocuted while working near Coeur d'Alene.
Jake Booth had worked for the Kootenai Electric Cooperative since 2005.
Authorities say the accident happened Tuesday as Booth was helping place a power pole.
He leaves behind a wife and infant son.
Kootenai Electric Cooperative investigators have joined officers from the Kootenai County Sheriff's Department who are trying to figure out what went wrong.
Kootenai Electric has 75 employees and more than 21,000 member accounts in parts of Kootenai, Benewah, Bonner and Spokane counties

CPOPE
10-27-2007, 02:31 PM
N. Idaho utility worker electrocuted
Authorities say the accident happened Tuesday as Booth was helping place a power pole.

In recent years, there have been many changes in the pole crew work environment. As our systems age, pole replacement has increased on energized lines, the voltage carried on distribution poles has increased substantially, and the new popularity of steel poles gives us another reason to revisit the work methods and safety procedures for pole crews.

Granted, the necessary steps to prevent an accidental pole contact during an energized pole setting job are well established. Pole crews know, for example, that installing insulated cover-up on the conductors and/or insulated cover-up on the pole and designating an observer/signal person reduces the probability of accidental contact. Operators using modern digger derrick equipment have become skilled at controlling the pole, and they normally have no problem setting a pole between covered up live wires. But even though these steps are in place and are adequate, the steps to protect everyone when Murphy's Law takes over are often less than adequate. If it can happen it will.

Step Potential
When an object such as a pole accidentally makes contact with an exposed live conductor, electrical current flows into the earth (ground fault). At the point where the pole touches the ground, there is a rise in voltage relative to any earth farther away from the base of the pole. This current can take many paths as it flows through the earth. As the current flows away from the pole, the earth acts as a resistor, usually lowering the voltage as it gets father away from the base of the energized pole.

This voltage also has been called ground gradients, potential gradients or step potentials. It behaves like a ripple in a puddle after dropping a stone in the middle. As the ripple moves away from the base, a voltage difference develops between each ring of ripples, typically decreasing with each ring farther from the center.

Step potentials (accidents) occur when a worker gets one foot on a high-voltage ring near the base of the pole and the other foot on a lower voltage ring farther away from the pole.

When a fault-to-ground occurs, the current will flow through the earth back toward the source through the easiest paths available. In other words, during a ground fault there is no way to know where and how far the ground gradients will travel. The return flow can be into the earth, back up any ground wires to the neutral, along fences, creek beds and so on. If the derrick truck is grounded to the neutral, then the return path for much of the current could be back to the truck and up to the neutral.

Everyone in the electric utility business today knows the safety steps to avoid touch and step potentials. Procedures such as, minimum approach distance, truck grounding, truck barricading, wearing of electrical resistant footwear, staying on the operating platform and/or dedicated observers; these are a given.

Most utilities and employers also require the promotion of a quick trip-out of the circuit when accidental contact is made in order to reduce exposure time to a ground fault. There are still other utilities and employers that do not ground the truck and rely instead on keeping people away from the vehicle by using barricades. This is done by grounding the truck to the best ground electrode available, which is usually the neutral on most distribution circuits. A truck ground does not make it safe to touch a truck. Its purpose is only to promote a quick trip out. But as any field personnel will tell you, it does not help the worker controlling the butt of the pole.

The Pole Butt Position
The worker most at risk while setting a pole in a live circuit is the worker controlling the pole butt. While the signal person and boom operator can stand clear of any objects that may become energized the person handling the butt is at risk. Traditionally, the pole butt worker handled the pole using rubber gloves to protect from touch potentials and tongs to keep his feet away from the highest potential ground gradients near the pole. But, with the higher voltages today, whether it is a higher distribution voltage or a subtransmission voltage, this protection may not be enough.

The derrick operator is safe while on the operating platform; other observers or supervisors on the ground can keep a safe distance from the truck, truck ground cables and any attached trailer, but the person handling the pole butt is in a vulnerable location.

The worker on the ground should take measures to prevent touch and step potentials should a pole (and therefore the truck, truck ground cables and any attached trailer) become accidentally energized. Other observers or supervisors standing near or touching the truck, trailer, grounding cables and/or ground rod are obviously also at high risk. Depending on the voltage, the conductivity of the pole and the type of earth, the ground gradients around the pole can spread out at some unknown distance from the pole.

The development of procedures for setting transmission poles could reduce those risks. One idea would be to have crew members steady the butt with ropes tied off in three or four directions to control the pole butt without touching the pole during placement. This would keep workers at a safe distance from the pole. This work method might be difficult to implement for distribution because of the additional manpower required and the limited space on most distribution jobs.

Ground Mats
Again, borrowing from other energized work applications, there is a common bonding principal: If your feet stay at the same potential as your hands, there can be no electric current flow. If you cannot stay totally away from it, then totally bond to it.

To protect the truck boom operator, he stands on a metal operating platforms. He is protected because the matt is bonded to the operating controls the operator's feet and hands remain at the same voltage if the truck becomes energized. Similarly, a person operating a disconnect switch in a station keeps their feet on a grid bonded to the operating handle or workers at the tensioners in a tension stringing operation stay on a grid.

This same bonding matt principle could add safety to the distribution line crew setting poles and particularly to the very vulnerable worker position of handling the butt of a pole. Setting up a ground-gradient matting grid bonded to the truck ground and bonded to the pole would insure that the worker controlling the butt will then be protected, should the pole become accidentally energized when it is being raised.

There is bound to be resistance to the introduction of ground-gradient matting, but newer fabric-style ground-gradient matting may make this added procedure a little easier to swallow. Keep in mind that other than the use of butt ropes, there is no other assurance that a person is out of range from hazardous step potentials.

Reducing Exposure
Another important step that is not practiced everywhere is setting circuit breakers or reclosers in a non-reclose position and placing a tag or card to reduce exposure time when things go wrong. This added step would ensure that the circuit remains isolated if it trips-out. Not only does this reduce worker exposure time, it is a safer way to carry out a rescue if necessary.

Pole Tongs
The use of epoxy pole tongs also should be revisited, given the higher voltages on today's lines and the common misconception as to what the tongs are used for.

Pole tongs or "pole handlers" were designed to keep the worker away from the pole, away from the highest step potentials - the voltage difference between a worker's feet on the ground and hands or another part of the body such as a shoulder touching the pole.

While pole tongs do provide additional insulation, they cannot be considered a means to provide insulation unless they are stored, maintained and retested like a live-line tool. The perception is that using pole tongs along with rubber gloves will provide additional insulation for higher distribution or subtransmission voltage. But, in practice, their only function is to protect the worker from step potentials.

Steel Poles
Steel poles, which are common in transmission line construction and in distribution in other countries, is beginning to migrate toward the distribution side for replacement and new construction. This advent of steel poles highlights the fact that all poles, regardless if they are wood or steel, should be handled the same. From a safety and operational perspective, no pole can be guaranteed to be safe to handle when in contact with a live circuit. The work method used for protection from a pole with a high conductivity should be the same as discussed here. There may be a "bark" from a wood pole contacting a line, but just because the line does not trip-out, does not mean that it would have been safe to touch during the contact.

The effects of step potential may vary depending on several factors, such as the voltage of the circuit, the conductivity of the pole and the type of soil. However, if a pole (wood, concrete or steel) makes contact with a live circuit, there will be touch potentials.

Interestingly, the more conductive the pole, the lower the potential difference or touch potential between where the pole is touched and where the pole is touching the ground. This almost sounds like its safer to touch a steel pole than a wooden pole that is in contact with a live line, but no pole is safe to touch in an energized work environment.

PA BEN
11-02-2007, 08:32 AM
The boss read an e-mail he had on this accident. They were setting a pole using a back hole to dig the pole hole. While setting the pole the bank caved and the pole butt slid in the hole, the apprentice tried to hold the butt ( without rubber gloves ) no cover on phases and no cover on pole top and a ground wire top to bottom on pole.

Alan Mac
11-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Why the hell would anyone set a pole with a ground wire top to bottom, in a position where it could contact a live conductor? Even my wife would know better!

Sorry for the loss of a mans life though.

Mac

billfoster67
11-02-2007, 01:05 PM
Electrician apprentice put a steel street signal pole in 69. Arms blew off.

I have had hot poles, rubber slid on the line, just had my rubber gloves on. Stabbed it in the hole. cleared it out of the phase before, got 40 foot extendo and slid rubber back. Its happened to me twice.

Always have my gloves on and stayed calm. 1st time as an apprentice. Second time as a journeyman. Foreman didn't want to layout the wire (stupid). No pole covers.

It takes about 5 seconds to put a pole cover on. You can even rig it to slide. Or better yet get some snails up and slap them in the insulators to hold.

Did they have a defribillator?

I am tired of this- something has got to be done. These posts are way to frequent!!!!

tickle1st
11-29-2007, 05:45 PM
I have a two part question directed to safety co-ordinators regarding pole setting.

The first part of my question is this....

The job is to install a wooden pole in a live three phase circuit. All proper cover up has been installed. What would be the response from safety professionals to an electrical contact incident if was found that the wooden pole that was being installed in live three phase primary had been intentionally wrapped from top to bottom with a ground wire?? This ground wire wrapped around the pole had inadvertantly made contact with energized equipment and resulted in an electrical contact accident?

The second part of my question will follow after your response to this incident.

Bull Dog
11-29-2007, 07:08 PM
I'm convinced that un'till someone is made to pay for this i mean really pay like jail and millions in fines this will never stop. The attitude is its a accident bull crap. Oh the bank caved ok no ones fault just a freak accident bull crap.
I'm shure the facts are being covered up as i type. My heart felt sympathy to the family.

BigClive
11-29-2007, 07:54 PM
It's exactly the same scenario being repeated over and over again....

Are they using labour gangs to replace poles?

In the meantime a family has lost a son. :(

duckhunter
11-30-2007, 01:14 PM
I'm not sure that you would not have had the same result without the ground, if their poles are like ours. Most of the poles we are recieving are still wet from the CCA treatment. Kootenai is known as a quality place, I am real suprised that this sort of intentional violation of work rules happened there. I will never understand how one human being can put another in the situation they put this apprentice in. They are supposed to be teaching this young man how to live a long life in this industry.

US & CA Tramp
11-30-2007, 01:55 PM
Having a pole ground stapled to the top of the pole is not the violation, but it is not a very good work practice. Setting a pole in a hot line with a pole ground is no different than setting a concrete pole, steel pole, or soaking wet pole in a hot line. Correct procedures need to be followed such as adequate cover on all phases, rubber gloves, or even equal potential mats depending on the situation. The Management or the Foreman should have never allowed this situation to occur. It should have been addressed and correct safety procedures decided upon during the tail board conference.

US & CA Tramp

rat1369
12-01-2007, 08:47 AM
:( There are not nearly enough legal means to hold people responsible for those under their supervision. Personnally speaking, I am scared to death to allow any of my crew to take chances. In a situation while working for Red Simpson in Fl, a Fm, Jl and Ap were spotting poles on a Saturday. The Fm and Jl both were still drunk from the night before. The Fm was asleep in the truck, the Jl was on the digger and the ap was on the pole. The Jl got the boom into the 23 line, killing the ap. After an investigation, the Fm was tried and convicted of negligent homicide and is serving 12 yrs, while the Jl was convicted of the same and is serving 8 yrs. This happened back in 2003. Even if you don't care if the people around you go home every night, I'm sure none of you want to be imprisoned for basically not giving a damn. Since that time, in Fl there have been efforts to make these laws tougher. The Fm and Jl's out in the field are the ones responsible for everyone around them. It's better to say something and piss people off than be nice and have to go talk to their 3yr old and explain why daddy ain't coming home.

BigClive
12-01-2007, 01:54 PM
That's almost justification for not becoming a foreman or Journeyman Lineman.

HighPotter
12-02-2007, 11:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkxStI9RC_Y&feature=related

Local news broadcast

HP

US & CA Tramp
12-07-2007, 01:18 PM
:( There are not nearly enough legal means to hold people responsible for those under their supervision. Personnally speaking, I am scared to death to allow any of my crew to take chances. In a situation while working for Red Simpson in Fl, a Fm, Jl and Ap were spotting poles on a Saturday. The Fm and Jl both were still drunk from the night before. The Fm was asleep in the truck, the Jl was on the digger and the ap was on the pole. The Jl got the boom into the 23 line, killing the ap. After an investigation, the Fm was tried and convicted of negligent homicide and is serving 12 yrs, while the Jl was convicted of the same and is serving 8 yrs. This happened back in 2003. Even if you don't care if the people around you go home every night, I'm sure none of you want to be imprisoned for basically not giving a damn. Since that time, in Fl there have been efforts to make these laws tougher. The Fm and Jl's out in the field are the ones responsible for everyone around them. It's better to say something and piss people off than be nice and have to go talk to their 3yr old and explain why daddy ain't coming home.

Was this Lineman the same guy that was found to have cocain in his system, and didn't have the outriggers down??

PA BEN
12-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Our safety rep. said at our last safety meeting that the pole was in the hole and the foreman was plumbing it. The truck boomed the pole into the phase 7200 v. No one knows why the apprentice was holding the pole at the time of contact, he didn't need to be. The old pole was a 40ft'er the new pole was a 50ft'er. with the copper pole ground on the pole. No pole cover, no phase cover, no rubber gloves. These are good linemen and are know to be very safe. We can ask why this happened? We can bust there balls. It still won't bring the kid back. I'm sure the men on that crew will never be the same again. Brothers and sisters outthere in the trade, we need to watch out for each other. We need to work safe so we can go home every night to our families. There’s new OSHA rules coming that’s only going to make our jobs harder. And it’s because we cut corners at times. We might get away with it for a wile and then someone gets killed. There’s no substitute for GOOD WORK PRACTICES.

Bull Dog
12-07-2007, 09:21 PM
Im sorry but there is no excuse for this if the facts are as you say. Ive been in the ibew for 37 yrs these are not my brothers.

PA BEN
12-08-2007, 09:51 AM
They did have and use a Portable Defibrillator on the kid. Just didn't work this time.:(

BigClive
12-08-2007, 11:46 AM
They did have and use a Portable Defibrillator on the kid. Just didn't work this time.:(

But it was there and available which is important. If the current passed was enough to cause serious internal damage then nothing could save the poor guy, but it sure as hell was worth trying.

Now on the other hand. If he hadn't passed too much current and the defibrillator had been used and had worked, then this thread wouldn't be here right now.

Special ED
12-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Is it really that hard to slip some guts on the line and cover the pole with pole covers? Here we didn't always have pole covers so we had to use our blankets and tape them on from just above the middle all the way to the top. We would set them with grounds installed and would leave the top side coiled down below the blankets and it was gloves and sleeves the whole time the guys would handle the pole. They had to wear them to cant the poles and make up the ground wire as well. Once that was complete one slow shovel and a fast tamp and the job was complete.

Cover it up, lay it out, do something, shit just make it safe.

My prayers go out to this mans family.