PDA

View Full Version : A little help please!

YooperTurnedFloridian
11-01-2007, 12:13 AM
Hello, Moving to Miami Lakes in Jan would love to get a job with FPL, Been to a line school in Mi. Worked for a rinky dink company American Energy Services that inspects Transmission Lines For FPL. Worked for them from 03till this spring. I understand that it doesn't mean much and that I start at square one. Extremely willing to work A military vet I have a Class A CDL Boots Gear Just need direction on how to get into FPL's apprentice line school!

billfoster67
11-01-2007, 09:44 AM
SelCat is one of the best schools in the country. Join their apprenticeship. Because you will get an A ticket, full certifications, and you have to have so many hours in every phase of construction... substations...distribution... hot hours. I wouldn't wait for a job. They will give you hours and then top out in three years... goto the IBEW website and give them a call, go for the interview.

Worked fulltime for one utility, had a great foreman, one of the best lineman in the country, EB LU47 SCE. Worked for three as a temp. Quit one because a secretary wanted me to kill power to a building with several tenants, asked for the general manager, she got mouthy and I told them to give me my money. Alot of BS, you have to go through.

We need construction hands, we are short. And we need good ones, five years construction- you can go anywhere!!!! And you will learn not from one a couple of hands but many... you wont be a one county boomer on a one way street!!!

YooperTurnedFloridian
11-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Hello all, Well called SELCAT today and got a application coming my way! I have read nothing but good news about them! Does anyone know how long it usually takes to actually start in there program? Im willing to wait as long as it takes but am very excited to start ASAP!!! Thanks! Chris

billfoster67
11-01-2007, 10:36 PM
Go to the hall, call the hall, bug them everyday about interviews. Ask to sign the groundman books, make sure they know that you want this for the rest of your life - thats it.

Its tough starting out. Just keep yourself motivated. You will get blamed for everything. You'll dig a lot of holes. Oh Boy, keep the truck straight and never miss material.

Keep looking at the air. Try to predict what the lineman is going to do next. Have everything ready. Build the arm, pre build the can. Take the crimpits and squeezons and put them in the bucket. Whatever you can do to make that lineman's work easier- the better off you are- and the more you learn. Get a tarp layout everything he'll need, and put it in the truck when he is done. And you will catch on quicker-know his moves.

Man I had a mean lineman. But I did learn a lot and he instilled a lot, But its sad now I have to do all my own prep work, and I can understand if he was a 1st step but a fourth or fifth step, help us all.

Its a hard road. And when you top out you just start learning. And if you quit learning, its time to leave the trade.

YooperTurnedFloridian
11-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Just got off the phone with the local 222 looks like my lucky day the are in need of a groundman down in Miami and im going to have to give it my all!! Hopefully SELCAT gets ahold of me by the new year!! Thanks for all the help!