PDA

View Full Version : Could use some help.

shane
12-11-2007, 05:59 PM
Hey guys i have a question you might be able to help me out with. I was working as an apprentice and was let go because i was having child care issues that caused me to be late repeatedly. These problems have since been corrected though. I have 1990+ hours as a groundman and 3990+ hours as an apprentice. My question is, is there anywhere i can go to continue my apprenticeship? Could I go union or utility to do my hours? Or do i just ahve to start over? I live in san diego but am willing to travel anywhere. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

damn_encode
12-11-2007, 09:26 PM
Did you leave on good terms? Were you in Cal/Nev JATC? You might want to apply or re-apply. With that much experience, if you were a good apprentice they might take you back.

I dont know but it might be worth a shot.

IronLine
12-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Personally Shane I would go to either the Cal-Nev JATC or NW Line, depending on where you want to travel too. The Union JATC programs will give you credit for your prior experience, as long as you have some way to prove it (documentation like hours sheets or letters from prior employers). Most utilities will NOT give you that credit, they will make you start at 1st Step and work your way back up. Thats my take on it man, good luck with whatever you do!

shane
12-12-2007, 01:41 PM
I left on okay terms, but they said they needed to make an example of me. So whatever that means. But i could probably get documented hours from my jatc chairman because i called him to get my hours to date the other day. so you thibk a union would be my best bet?

PA BEN
12-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Keep looking on line for jobs. Some utilitys ask for apprentices with hours in thr trade. www.nwppa.org is one good site. Go to job mart then linecrews.
good luck.:cool:

Roy56
04-29-2008, 07:30 PM
You might have to make some strong sacrifices, say, leave Kali. or go for lesser wages just to finish you apprenticeship. It will pay off in the long run. Many of us have "beed there" "done that"! I know one guy that had been a company employee for 15 years or more, coal plant guy, then he got apprenticeship late in life, was into the program almost 3 years, the company froze all jobs, kicked him back to the plant, and he left and went back east and got on another utillity as an ape! He completed his apprenticeship, worked a year or two there as a journeyman, and came back to the outfit I worked for as a journeyman, they were highering a few by then. He is retired now.

shane
06-01-2008, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't mind leaving Cal. but i applied to cal/nev jatc like 7 months ago and they sent me a letter stating that my app had been accepted and that i would have an interview in 5-6 months. Is that type of wait normal or is it because of slow work? Anyone else dealing with this jatc and going through the same thing?

swetngblts
06-01-2008, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't mind leaving Cal. but i applied to cal/nev jatc like 7 months ago and they sent me a letter stating that my app had been accepted and that i would have an interview in 5-6 months. Is that type of wait normal or is it because of slow work? Anyone else dealing with this jatc and going through the same thing?

When i interviewed a couple weeks ago there was 28 apprentices out of work. There was more just prior to that but they put a few to work. Some have been out of work for a while. I'm not holding my breathe for the Cal/Nev JATC even if i get accepted to the climbing class.

PA BEN
06-02-2008, 08:26 AM
http://www.ibew77.com/?zone=/unionactive/private_view_page.cfm&page=Apprenticeship