PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Contact in Rochester NY

A Laska Lineman
12-17-2007, 10:22 AM
Does anyone have the details of an electrical contact incident that occured Friday in Rochester N.Y.? It is my understanding that a Linemans hand came in contact with an energized 34.5 line while or after moving the static or the tower. Details are sketchy at this time. Any information would be appreciated.

Goathead
12-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Apparently the lineman was in a double bucket one lineman was sliding hard cover with a shotgun the other was operating the bucket.They some how contacted the un insulated upper boom stow with a phase of 34kv while the operator was touching the static and the control lever.The operator had no rubber gloves on.He is a lineman out of Alaska,hes currently in the burn unit at strong memorial hospital in Rochester NY.He burnt both hands,and has lost some fingers.I dont no his name but I believe he is 44 years old.They are working on the RPT project in Rochester.He was working for Hawkeye I just found out his name is Phil Hardin the other lineman wasnt hurt

A Laska Lineman
12-17-2007, 06:27 PM
Goathead, thanks for the information. All our prayers are with him and his family.

catman 1393
12-25-2007, 08:42 AM
a good tramping polebuddy from alaska that knows phil said he lost all fingers on right hand. gary call me on 12-22-07

PA BEN
12-26-2007, 08:53 PM
Serious Accident - Brother Phil Hardin

Brother Phil Hardin is a member of Local 1547 and was currently working out of Local 1249 located in Rochester, N.Y. While working for Hawkeye Construction, (not L.E. Meyers/Hawkeye), Brother Hardin was involved in a serious contact accident and has been hospitalized at Strong Medical Center. Many of our members worked with Brother Hardin at PSE, Avista, and in Construction. We will provide updated information as it becomes available.

Brother Hardin and his family are in our thoughts and prayers.

A Laska Lineman
12-27-2007, 11:53 AM
I have been in contact with Phils mother at the Strong Memorial Hospital. Phil is heavily sedated and on life support so that he doesn't fight all the tubes and his body can start healing. He is stabilized and seems to be improving. His right hand (entrance wound)was amputated including about six inches of his forearm. They are trying to save as much of his left hand (exit wound) as they can but it is my understanding he already has lost three fingers and they are working to imrove his thumb and forefinger today (12/27) but don't expect much feeling in them if any. Today he will go into surgery for the start of the skin grafting. It will be a long road to recovery. I am waiting for Phils mother to contact me on where to send donations to and I will post it as soon as I find out.

Orgnizdlbr
12-27-2007, 02:03 PM
Thouhgts and prayers for Brother Hardin.

PA BEN
12-27-2007, 08:42 PM
Even though I don't know him he is in the brother hood. Thanks for the up date. Our prayers are going out to him.

A Laska Lineman
01-07-2008, 06:07 PM
Brothers and Sisters, Phil Hardin is still in the Strong Memorial Hospital ICU and has a long road to recovery. His Mom and girlfriend are at his side daily and sending us updates whenever anything changes. They say there are good days and bad days , so he is definitely not out of the woods yet. A donation account has been established at Alaksa USA Federal Credit Union to help defray his economic burden while he recuperates. If you would like to contribute, the information is as follows; Phil Hardin , AlaskaUSA FCU, PO Box 196613 , Anchorage, Alaska 99519 If someone out of state wants to contribute they can access the web-site akusafcu.org, go to Branch Locations, next to Shared Locations, finally National Locations. From that point interested persons should be able to locate a branch FCU in their area and make donations to Phil's account. The AKUSA FCU account number is # 1365628. Any donations are greatly appreciated Brothers and Sisters, so thank-you in advance for any and all donations to a Brother in need.:) :D :cool: :)

Koga
01-08-2008, 06:35 PM
for keeping us informed. My prayers to him and his family'

Koga

US & CA Tramp
01-11-2008, 02:35 PM
I heard that they were in a snorkel lift in the live substation. Anybody know if there is any truth to this?

A Laska Lineman
01-15-2008, 01:04 PM
No, there is no truth to that. According to a preliminary report they were in an 83' material handler Altec Bucket truck getting ready to set the second piece of a 90' weathering pole. One 34.5kv circuit was hot and the other 34.5kv side was dead, with a static on top. The static was moved to the hot side to avoid hard contact while setting the second piece of the structure. After that, reports get sketchy on what really happened. We think he was moving/or just started to move the bucket when everything went to s*#!& real quick. With out any official report yet everything is just speculation. But it appears that contact was made while the JL was operating the bucket and the left hand was contacting the static at the same time. The boom lock mechanism ( located about 5+' behind and under the upper boom) had a burn mark on it where possible contact was made. It is my understanding that the energized 34.5KV was heavily loaded and there was a light wind blowing also. So many questions, so little details. Again until the official report comes out the rest is speculation. As for an update on Phil's condition he is on and off kidney dialysis and they had to remove his left hand because of all the damage done. He has good days and bad days and still has a very, very long road to recovery.

BigClive
01-15-2008, 01:39 PM
So he's lost both his hands then. Not so good. :(