PDA

View Full Version : V-Watch Personal Voltage Detectors For Sale

saftgeek
12-19-2007, 09:05 AM
Hello all,

I have a total of (8) HD Electric, #VWP-20 detectors for sale. Some have never been out of the boxes, some have been handled, and one or two have rode in a truck once or twice.

All detectors come with their cases and an audio and visual alert, when they detect an electrical field. These detectors are made by HD Electric and sell for almost $250 each. I will take $125 each for them. I will sell all or one, it doesn't matter to me.

We bought these for our crews to evaluate and after less than 6 months, a decision was made to remove them from service. I don't want to discuss this decision in an open forum, so please don't ask. Just like most other folks on this forum, I work for the man.

This is a great way to get your hands on a nice piece of protective equipment for about half of what they normally cost. I can email pictures if you want me to, just send me a PM with your email address.

Have a Merry Christmas and I hope these find some use somewhere...

Saftgeek

Electriceel
12-19-2007, 07:48 PM
We talked among the crews about them and decided we were not going to trust them to give us a correct reading, no one can tell us when they will give you an alarm. After the fact of a contact was not acceptable.

Why did you get stuck with trying to get rid of them anyway?

Orgnizdlbr
12-19-2007, 08:28 PM
Gotta be a reason you're getting rid of them on the cheap.....dont seem to work too well I gather.

Mouse
12-20-2007, 06:33 AM
Gotta be a reason you're getting rid of them on the cheap.....dont seem to work too well I gather.

Either that or his company doesn't know he is selling them. Bet you could fry an egg on those they are so hot. . .

loodvig
12-20-2007, 08:35 AM
I must say he's not a good salesman. "After being removed from service".

graybeard
12-20-2007, 10:23 PM
Anybody know if these things would be worth a toot in a thunder storm?

BigClive
12-21-2007, 07:29 AM
Most of these devices detect the AC field from a live conductor or object, but to do so they be oriented in the direction of the conductor with no grounded or conductive objects in the vicinity to "shunt" the field. That includes grass or foliage, especially when wet. They can also detect leakage or coupled current on de-energised lines that have no significant load to pull the leakage voltage down.

If used by someone who really understands their principle of operation, they should be a useful enough tool. Not 100% what I'd call a decisive tool though.

saftgeek
12-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Sorry for the delay in posting. We've been cleaning up after an ice storm and I've been pretty busy.

For the guy who insinuated these were stolen or being sold w/o anyones knowledge, you're wrong and an ass.

These are being sold because they work well in very limited situations. Are they better than nothing, maybe??? If you trust them, then you may rush into a situation that could end up getting you killed. These must be worn on the outside of your clothing and are very directional. They have an effective range of about 9 ft, which is too close, in my opinion. If you wear them on the side of your belt, then the range is cut down even more.

If you think these are priced too cheap then your welcome to write the check for more. We had a seasoned lineman walk into a downed line at a neighboring Coop and that is why we tried them. Our Safety Committee made the decision to get rid of them.

I didn't want to go there in a public forum, but some folks are wayyyy too happy to try to make things look evil and corrupt. If anyone else has questions or comments you can PM me and I'll give you my phone number or whatever else you need.

Have a Merry Christmas

Saftgeek

PA BEN
12-21-2007, 06:03 PM
A non lineman, bird dogging outages at night for a big utility after a ice storm walked into a 7200 line, caught it just under his hard hat rim. Something like this might have saved a life.