PDA

View Full Version : Any one work for SELCAT?

YooperTurnedFloridian
12-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Hello all, just wondering if anyone has done there apprenticship through Selcat or if they are with them right now? I interviewed with them and am second on the list to get called so just waiting right now. I have a osha class and a cpr first aid class at the begining of the new year. Thanks for all the info!!

IronLine
12-23-2007, 12:54 PM
I have not gone through SELCAT but I have a couple friends who have, and without a doubt it sounds like your typical Union JATC apprenticeship, that is you WILL travel, not ALWAYS get per diem, but you will get the most well rounded training possible. From everyone I've talked to the Union JATCs offer the best apprenticeships out there, I hear the schools are run kinda like boot camp though! Be ready buddy, good luck and be safe!

Sparks33183
12-24-2007, 02:32 PM
I am not a selcat app. I am a NEAT apprentice...How much different? Prolly nothing...I honestly believe it is a great program if you are def sure about becoming a lineman....be aware there are a bunch of hot headed deep throaters out there...Think they are better then apprentices, when they all went through the same program....Some of the work is relaxed and most of it is hard work......It might seem alot at once, but once you get into the hang of things, you become use to it all...Great job, very rewarding...And most of all you meet a ton a good guys, a handful of ass lickers and life time career...Good luck man...

77liner
12-24-2007, 08:46 PM
Hey Sparks
It looks like you have everything figured out. Interesting how you can put the mouth on the journeymen when you are still wet behind the ears.
Try keeping your mouth shut and learning from the guys in the trade, it will take you a long way. This is a great trade respect it.

Swollen Tongue
12-25-2007, 09:34 PM
Went through SELCAT 28 years ago. Great program. I went to pole climbing school in West Palm Beach. Norman Mizzell was the head instructor. He passed on a few years ago. Kinda boot camp like. Pretty tuff on ya but have the right attitude and you can get through it OK. Bone up on all your transformer bank hookups. Pretty big part of the school. Get some good boots. Other than that its just yo yoing those damn poles. Basic framing, pole top rescue, yada yada, yada. After that, the bookwork is I suppose like any other program. Be ready to move around some. You may get lucky and get to stay close to home. I did for the most part.

YooperTurnedFloridian
12-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Good to know, and don't worry the minute I go to work I understand that im the apprentice and the journeymen are my teachers. Absorb as much as I can, and learn from everyone around me!

Sparks33183
12-29-2007, 04:40 PM
I didnt mean anything by my comment...I just wantted to state that this trade isnt for everyone...I went through boot camp with with 26 guys, right now there are 18 left....I was just stating that if u dont keep ur mouth shut and eyes open u wont last...I learned that already!!!!! didnt mean to offend you!

YooperTurnedFloridian
01-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Starting work with a contractor for the IBEW!! Thanks for all the help, going to be some hard work and alot of great working experences!!!!