PDA

View Full Version : New extendo stick attachment

entlineman
01-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Out of curiosity what is everyone out there using on the end of their long stick (extendo) sticks? Due to a lot of fuse barrels falling we are having to get away from the common straight finger w/ the hook on the opposite end. We have recently tried the pigtail type but it is not well liked. Any suggestions?

JAKE
01-12-2008, 10:07 PM
i run a double finger that i made with bit of a larger disc on the end and the disc is offset to the higher side so you have a bit more hook to hold onto your door in not the most ideal conditions. i like the double finger too so if i got a door down i can carry a loaded door up with me pickup the shot one set the loaded one in and shut it. my finger started as a piece of 1/2" 6061 t-6 al and cut it on a bridgeport mill. i will see if i can get some pics up this weekend.

what yall are getting tired of crawlin under your hardhat when that door comes off the end??

entlineman
01-13-2008, 01:11 PM
what yall are getting tired of crawlin under your hardhat when that door comes off the end??[/QUOTE]

Nope, we have a lot of injuires (broken orbital bones, stitches,etc.) from falling switch barrels so our safety dept, managers, supervisore, etc. are pushing for new tools. As for me, I'm up for anything that keepas from going to hospital or wading thru vines or water looking for a barrel!

HIVOLTS
01-14-2008, 05:28 PM
Click on the Hastings add and you'll find what you need.

Bipeflier
01-18-2008, 04:23 PM
http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/powertest/view/pageViewer.asp?pageID=1150

Cat. # PSC4033484 on the right side of page.

Electriceel
01-18-2008, 10:08 PM
That is the one we are using.

tramp67
01-19-2008, 05:30 PM
I like the attachment with the straight finger out one side, and the curved finger on the other side that is facing up. I ran into a homemade one at a REA, and it worked great. Hung the new barrel on the upturned hook, raised the stick and lifted the old door out of the cutout. A little shaking and the old one slides off the straight finger, then the new door is in position on the upturned hook to hang on the cutout. Just make sure nobody is under the old door when you shake it off the extendo!!:eek:

CPOPE
01-21-2008, 06:08 PM
http://www.utilitysolutionsinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=USOS&Product_Code=GRAB-IT-1http://www.utilitysolutionsinc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=USOS&Product_Code=GRAB-IT-1

suddsy
01-21-2008, 10:56 PM
there is a new tool on the market by ab chance it reminds me of a teacup. the cutout door goes upside down in the cup and has a slit cutout in the middle for the ring. a cutout door will sit in it till it is almost upside down. It also has a finger for closing the door. pretty slick shit. I bet that door would stay in the cup in a wyoming windstorm. they (AB Chance)were highlighting it at the International linemans rodeo expo in KC this year. I was very impressed.

PA BEN
01-24-2008, 08:53 AM
Scroll down the page.

http://www.hilineco.com/pdfs/153-163.pdf

suddsy
01-24-2008, 08:42 PM
I looked all over hell for that and couldnt find that link. like I said the tool works awesome. being someone who has fought getting a door up with an extendo and finally giving up and climbing the pole this tool is a godsend. I hope ab chance makes a mint selling these things to utilities and contractors not that they need the money Im sure

tjones
02-10-2008, 11:28 AM
Weve been using the grab it. It has worked great for us so far.Somewhere is the $110 range, not a bad price to pay to keep someone from getting hurt

markwho
02-12-2008, 12:04 AM
We have had the "fuse claw" on the property for a while now. I had first tried it with a universal stick a few times just to see how it worked. It seemed o.k., but was a little much for everyday use. Fortunately I actually have not had much use for the extendo stick in the past, but have used it about 3x in the past year. This past Sunday night was the latest after a wind storm blew over a large pine and knocked out a backyard pot. We hooked up the pole claw to the extendo and it worked like a charm. I would recommend trying it with a short stick first so you can get a feel for the action needed for the proper use. We did not use it for door removal , but will try it next time around.

LINETRASH
02-12-2008, 01:17 PM
I use the extendo alot.

This setup works great. never droped a barrel since I got this.

BigClive
02-12-2008, 02:43 PM
I looked all over hell for that and couldnt find that link. like I said the tool works awesome. being someone who has fought getting a door up with an extendo and finally giving up and climbing the pole this tool is a godsend. I hope ab chance makes a mint selling these things to utilities and contractors not that they need the money Im sure

Well anything that keeps you away from their frickin' cutouts has got to be a good tool. :D

So, ummm, pardon my naivety but what's the aerosol operating stick attachment for? Spray lubricant or cleaner?

Edge
02-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Well anything that keeps you away from their frickin' cutouts has got to be a good tool. :D

So, ummm, pardon my naivety but what's the aerosol operating stick attachment for? Spray lubricant or cleaner?

HORNET SPRAY!!!! hornets and wasps build nests in the most insane places under a tub or a pole top insulator.... in a gd pothead bracket... seen nests in wood pecker holes on hi line h structures, hell even see a nest... musta been 2 feet around or better built in the yoke plate of a 230 bundle on a wooden H structure down in the dismal swamps on the Va. N.C. border!!!

for what it's worth....

Edge...

Line work... separating the men from boys since the 1840's

BigClive
02-12-2008, 07:59 PM
Nasty! Anyone had a bad experience of going up a pole and actually disturbing a nest teeming with hornets or other stingy things? :eek:

Koga
02-13-2008, 04:27 PM
wasp building nest on the inside of the angle iron on 500 towers in the swamp. Once you get 40 ft up and start gettin hit its too late !! Can't jump and can't run. Just back down as fast as possible. Grab 5 cans of spray and go back for revenge:mad: I think the most times I was hit was 5 before I could get back down fast enough. After that it was load up a glove bag with spray and check every ten feet of the leg I went up on. Bumble bees are a whole different breed though. They are on the ground in nest and don't quit no matter how far you back off. Mean bastards that carry a punch when they hit. And the spray didn't seem to have much effect on em, or at least not quick enough. Cable cleaner will knock em down though! Just have to be close range with it and quicker than they are.

Koga

markwho
02-13-2008, 09:21 PM
We had the spray can adapter issued to every truck, but don't know of anyone using it yet. I find the flying squirrels who reside in street light heads interesting. I have run into a few so far. Just last week I had one peeking at me when I opened it up. I closed it back up and it took about 5 blows with the hammer to chase him out.