PDA

View Full Version : Please Help!!

TROXMAN
01-21-2008, 05:09 PM
Hey Everyone,

Well im gonna try not to bore ya too much!! Im 31 and soakin up as much info as possible on gettin my foot in the door. I live in Corona CA, wife w/no kids yet. Ive got 8 years of mixed non-union electrical experience. (5residential low voltage, 2 ind/com. and 1.8 in backup power for the phone companies) I also have a valid EMT licence including CPR card. Earlier this month I was laid off due to the housing market here in Calli. so I have decided to quite wasting my time and get some formal training/schooling through the IBEW and pursue a career with a future!! Never had any structure in the past so this should be great!! It seems everybody and there mother wants into this trade so im sure its gonna take loads of patience and devotion throughout the process. So far I have applied to the Cal-Nev JATC (receptionist says 3-9 month wait for interview) and will be going down to the local union to put my name in as a Apprentice Groundman tomorrow morning. Thats it so far!!

Will the electrical experience help land a spot with JATC? (assuming the interview goes well)

Should I try to get in with ELASC, hows the waiting list? Hows the all around experience?

How important is it to get my CDL before the interview with the JATC?
-any recomended cheap truck schools in my area?

I can travel but not relocate, I know this cuts down on my options, but I would like to stay married as well!! So any info/personal experience would be great, thank you for reading!!

IronLine
01-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Congrats on picking this as a career partner, I've only been in it for 7months or so, but I love it. Its tough, but rewarding. But enough self-hype. Personally, I think the Cal-Nev JATC would be an awesome opportunity. The IBEW JATC's offer the most well rounded training and apprenticeship out there in my opinion, I would DEFINITELY suggest that you get your CDL prior to the interview. Class A with Combination/AirBrakes would be your best bet. It definitely bumps up your position on the list, at least have your permit when you go to interview, and you will be able to learn to drive the vehicles on the job. I'm not familiar with ELASC? But I do know that Northwest Linemans Training Center has a school in Northern CA, city starts with a C, don't remember it :) But you can search for their website online. I'm sure you already know, but just be sure that you're aware that sometimes the travel with the JATC programs can feel like relocation. You can end up spending a LOT of time away from home, per diem isn't always great, but its a sacrifice you might have to make. Okay, that about exhausts my knowledge for now :D (didn't take long did it?) Any other questions go ahead an PM me bud. Good Luck!

TROXMAN
01-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the feedback IronLine, yea I know im gonna have to leave the wife at home for extended periods, luckily there are no kids in the equation yet... She seems to be on my side and willing to make sacrifices for our future which is cool.

Anyway thanks for the reply!!!

PA BEN
01-21-2008, 09:01 PM
www.IBEW77.com, upper left corner click on apprenticeship. Definitely get your class A CDL, you have the first aid and a flagger card would help too. Good luck.:)

suddsy
01-21-2008, 10:29 PM
Open up your options by talking to your wife and unless she has a damn good career take her with you. get a good pickup and a decent travel trailer and dont look back. I spent 3 years away from my wife visiting once a month. it sucked. it all worked out but it defidently strained our relationship we have spent the last year just getting to know each other again. bieng a grunt is great experience you can probably get your cdl while bieng a grunt using company trucks. saves you on a truck rental. when I got mine I went to roadwars.com and took the practice tests to help my studying after that the cdl tests were easy then its just driving. when you get on the job just listen up and use your head. this trade isn't rocket science 90% of the work is using common sense and double checking yourself with your pole partner. with that bieng said stay safe, dont get in a hurry ever!! that other 10% you will learn slowly on the job, and in class. good luck.

TROXMAN
01-21-2008, 11:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback, great info!! Suddsy, I admire your dedication leavin the wife and all only visiting once a month, damn thats an understanding woman!!! If I were just 21 again there would be no hesitation, but hey I was busy wasteing time chasing broads, never thought I would age!!! :)

Thanks again

PA BEN
01-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Get your CDL soon the rules are changing to where it's like a apprenticeship. So many hr's driving, backing, etc;:eek:

TROXMAN
01-22-2008, 04:35 PM
WOW, any idea when this might happen PA BEN, thanks for the tip!!!

TROXMAN
01-23-2008, 12:01 AM
I went down and signed the books today for Groundman at local 47. The guy up front told me it could be a year before my name comes around, which I guess I was expecting!! I also went to the DMV and picked up a pamphlet to begin studying for the CDL.

I called local 440 and am considering working as inside wireman while waiting for a lineman apprentice position (JATC) or grunt job to open. They told me that with my 8 years of non union electrical experience they would have me take a test and based on the results either place me at Jouneyman level or if I dont do so well, 70% of journeyman pay to start w/2 years left apprenticeing. Not a bad offer I guess.

Here's the question: Do you think that it would look bad for me to be involved with another apprentice program (inside wireman app.) when the time comes for me to interview for the job I really want. (app. lineman w/JATC/or IBEW grunt) Ive been laid off now for a couple weeks after 5 years with the last company and am starting to feel pressured financially.. Basically I need a damn paycheck.. $450 a week unemployment aint cuttin it!!

I know its a waiting game unless you have the ability to go wherever needed but damn I must admit its frustrating, I want to work and learn now. If just given the opportunity I know I would kick ass. O well guess thats the name of the game!! "SACRIFICE" Sorry for rambling about.........

Thanks for reading!!!!!

PA BEN
01-23-2008, 08:27 AM
WOW, any idea when this might happen PA BEN, thanks for the tip!!!

It was in January 2008, but I herd the date was pushed back. Ask at the DMV. Also any experience in parts of the trade should help. Go for it, union narrowbacks make good money too.:D

TROXMAN
01-23-2008, 03:24 PM
Thanks PA BEN !!!

necpoletop
01-31-2008, 08:09 PM
go to a utilitie co. try getting on with their contractors,im 37 idid it for 1year the co-op hired me 13 hr signed up with there northwest lineman college program,went to pole climbing school.after 6 months i was on the digger,and now 16 months after starting with the co-op i make 18 hr,i guess i got lucky,but i busted my butt and they saw i wanted to work.i did the jobs nobody wanted and now im being rewarded.

theFNG
02-06-2008, 03:17 PM
I got a job with Cal Nev JATC, anyone currently working for this company, please let me know if you know when the next orientation will be....