PDA

View Full Version : CDL Help!

IronLine
01-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Hey ya'll, so to maintain my job I need to obtain my Class B CDL with Tanker and HazMat endorsements. I've had no trouble getting the endorsements, but I am having a helluva time with the driving test itself. The only 3rd party tester I have near me only rents one type of truck to take the test in, and thats like a 24' moving van, its a 6speed manual transmission. I have absolutely no trouble driving it, and shifting up, but when it comes time to slow down and downshift, I can't get the damn thing in gear. I slam the clutch in and its like hitting a rock trying to drop from 6th-5th etc., so I end up just coasting to a stop and using my brakes instead of engine braking. It costs $75 for the test and $200 to rent the truck for the test, so I can't afford to screw up again:D Anyone have a suggestion on what I'm screwing up on? Or any other Western Washington folk know of a 3rd party tester that rents trucks? (cough)automatics(cough) Thanks!

Stick-it
01-26-2008, 03:14 PM
All trucks are different. Try to put just enough pressure on the stick to the gear you want to go into and rev the engine slowly up about 1500 - 2000 rpm. It should just fall in. You shouldn't need the clutch to downshift. It is all about matching the engine speed to the tranny. If your rpm's are close enough - just force it in. Everyone grinds gears when they learn. It is normal.

Do you have a friend with a CDL? If so, rent a truck, practice for an hour or so, then take the test in the same truck. You REALLY should consider getting your class A.

PA BEN
01-26-2008, 03:24 PM
Doesn't your employer have a truck to use?

powerhotdog
01-26-2008, 06:36 PM
Require the use of the clutch, and require you to double clutch through the gears and bacck down through them. No "floatin through the gears automatic failure. Good luck

IronLine
01-26-2008, 08:42 PM
I work for a helo company, so we have rigs spread out all over the US, and majority of them are regular pickups. F350's etc., but they have a jet fuel tank on the back, so that makes them Class B HazMat vehicles. Thanks for the info guys, and yeah, Class A would be great, but I'm getting the B now just to get by, I can't back up a 6' JetSki trailer, let alone what I gotta do to get my Class A Combo ;)

swetngblts
01-26-2008, 09:02 PM
Require the use of the clutch, and require you to double clutch through the gears and bacck down through them. No "floatin through the gears automatic failure. Good luck

Exactly! double clutch it, throttle up and find the sweet spot, you are a hazard if you are coasting at any time and they will fail you. Even if you put the tractor in neutral and leave it there for a second at a stop light. Always keep the tractor in gear.

and ironline, that 6' ski trailer is harder to back up then any tractor/trailer.

IronLine
01-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Hahaha! Thats what I hear, and screwing around with the trailers at work have proved that right. So it sounds like doin a little double clutchin' with some muscle to force the damn thing in is the key huh? Well I'll give it a shot, I mean c'mon, whats $400 here or there? ;)

gotlift
01-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Also be sure to drag your RPM's down low in the higher gear before you down shift.

IronLine
01-28-2008, 07:26 PM
Wish I could just rent a damn hertz truck or something, have them drop it off and pick it up at the training site, find me a nice automatic ;) Once again ya'll, I appreciate the information. Talked to the 3rd party guy today, I can rent the truck for an hour to practice with one of his guys @ $100/hr. Shoulda started a friggin truck driving school thats where the money is!:D

A Laska Lineman
01-30-2008, 12:32 PM
RPMs is just one key. You should not have to force anything with the right combo of speed, rpm and gear. When the combo is correct you should be able to shift with two fingers no problem. It will almost fall into gear with no clutch. First gear is the only gear without a syncro in the tranny so you can't downshift into it. In older trucks their syncros could be wore out because of drivers forcing their shifts. You are only good as your worst truck. Don't get mad at the truck because of a loose nut behind the syeering wheel:o . Relax and practice, practice, practice when ever possible. Good luck:)

necpoletop
01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
most companies lend you there trucks,if they want you to get your cdl,they will make it happen,good luck