PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Valley JATC

HOYT 17
02-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Hi I currently live in Iowa. I am 18 years old and have been looking into the Missouri Valley JATC. I was wondering if any of you have been threw the program and how your experience was. Thanks a lot Nick

compression
02-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I just finished it a few months ago. Go, get gone, get after it and don't look back! 18......if I only....

I would say my apprenticeship was crazy good! or outstanding might be a better word. I saw more, did more, expericenced more and felt more things than I ever had in my first 37 yrs of life. That being said, I think most of that is because of the contractor I worked for and not the Apprenticeship itself.

They have alot of good training tools and a nice pole yard, but I don't think I used either of them. The bookwork is pretty cheesey. Most of it needs re-written pretty bad. The workbooks are like a bad B-movie - you can tell they're trying to make a point but info is coming at you so F'd up that it becomes pretty easy to say the hell with it. They just hired a new head hauncho with no Line experience, but a with alot of school background. So maybe they're planning on fixin the book stuff. Either way there's enough info out there in the real world you can teach yourself the book stuff pretty easily.

advice: be as observant as humanily possible, notice what's upline, downline, across and so on. Ask questions and speak up! Don't shy away - lineman like to think that they are Dickheads on the outside, but most are the nicest guys on the planet.;)

HOYT 17
02-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the reply compression. I am currently enrolled at Hawkeye community college. I have two semesters left there. once i complete them ill probably send in my application.

Logan H
02-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Check out the waiting list for classes now. Sheldon has had a 1 year waiting list before starting classes.

HOYT 17
02-21-2008, 06:02 PM
ive been checking into northwest iowa fall of 2009 before i could get in and i have to get my math score up on the compass test before they will accept me.

Festus
02-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Hoyt, I just interviewed with missouri valley yesterday. From what I understood going in I thought there was going to be a math test before they even interviewed. Apparently they must have dropped that part because we went straight to interviewing. If I was you I would go and interview with them before commiting to a school just to see where you would rank. The questions they ask are more or less just common sense questions. I had a 10 minute interview. Called today to find out how I did and found out that I am number one on the list for local 160. Just an idea. Dont spend the money on tuition if you dont have too.

HOYT 17
02-27-2008, 11:26 PM
thanks for the info festus. did you know how long it will be before you get some work?

Festus
02-28-2008, 07:04 AM
They said during the winter months they are calling out 2 to 3 apes a month. Work should be picking up in the spring though im sure. They told me to give my current employer a 2 week notice once you rank number one because odds are you will be called out by then. I have to be put on military hold because I will be deploying for a few months but they told me I wouldnt lose my spot so I thought that was a good deal. I would think if you put your application in and interviewed you have nothing to lose. If you rank low you can always go to school.

1st Class Husker
03-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Also try Northeast Community College( Utility Lineman Program)
In Norfolk, Nebraska

Its a two year program, power companies, nation wide come in and recuit kids!
Its one of the best in the United States!
It's half class room and Half labs. All hands on, not just that shitty class room experience! After the first year, you have a 12 week intern with the Power company of your choosing! A great way to impress a company and get your foot in the door! Best of luck to ya!