PDA

View Full Version : Landed an apprenticeship with Davis H. Elliot

Fischbone
03-07-2008, 02:51 AM
Tomorrow, I graduate from the Electrical Lineworker's Program at Northwest Lineman College. I am driving back east this weekend to start an apprenticeship with Davis H. Elliot Companies. Any advice on what to expect and pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Special ED
03-07-2008, 04:49 PM
Plan on getting screwed and not learning much... Then invest in a drag bag cause you will need it.

Fischbone
03-07-2008, 06:50 PM
I take it you had a bad experience with this company. Screwed in what way?

powerhotdog
03-07-2008, 08:11 PM
there are or I should say were a few good hands at Elliot now they have mostly all gone to where the grass is GREENER.

Special ED
03-07-2008, 08:19 PM
Aint seen a good lineman yet from that out fit.. And watch your hours on the apprenticeship.. Dont let them screw you. I never worked for them. But the guys Ive had come work for me didnt know what they should have. The last journey man I got for there was anything but. He had the hours and supposed training but he didn't know anything and his first day he went from journeyman to groundman.

scammy
03-07-2008, 09:26 PM
wow ed seems you give advice ,,but never worked for them....hmmmm,,going by on one bad apple?,I just worked an ice storm with em ,,not too shabby to me ,,and to the kid seeking advice ,,,,,,believe half what ya see ,,and nothing ya hear ,,,,you will be ok ,,and remember ya get what ya give ,,if ya wanta learn you will ,if not ya might end up like ed,,,,,scammy

Special ED
03-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Actually Scammy we got alot of their flunkies and one out of 10 panned out. Seemed like everytime we turned around we were hearing of their near misses and accidents.

Nate
03-08-2008, 12:46 AM
Tomorrow, I graduate from the Electrical Lineworker's Program at Northwest Lineman College. I am driving back east this weekend to start an apprenticeship with Davis H. Elliot Companies. Any advice on what to expect and pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I dont have any idea who this company is, but at my company we have hired two guys from Northwest and they have been good hands, our first just topped out and the other is doing a good job for us.
Either go to a munie or go to the hall if you want a good appentiship.

Pootnaigle
03-08-2008, 08:39 PM
I had about 50 guys from Elliot work for me in 2005 after Hurricane rita. They were from Kentucky and Tennesee, Couldnt ask for better help and most of em were apprentices.The GF was and old hand and did know his business very well.They worked without complaining and Gawd knows they had every right to as they were sleeping in thier trucks and eating whatever came their way. They didnt back up from anything and did a far superior job to Pike, who also came to assist. They had very good equippment and work ethics.
Other than that I know very little about em but they did leave me with a positive impression.

wudwoker51
03-29-2008, 01:12 PM
Davis H. Elliott came into our area a year or so ago on storm restoration, we spent an extra week fixing their F%$# ups. Oh well the extra double time pay was nice. Just be careful, if you don't know ask and always use your PPE. They seem to be like most non-union contractors 10% know want their doing the rest are just gophers working for peanuts. Remember if its " Not Grounded it's Not Dead " and " NO JOB is SO IMPORTANT that it cannot be performed SAFELY!"

swetngblts
05-02-2008, 06:12 PM
Hey fischbone,
How's it going? Did you make it out there to work? I'm at NLC right now and researching companies.