PDA

View Full Version : The Bucksqueeze

lineman4aep
03-26-2008, 06:56 PM
I am getting ready to go back to lineman school, C-300, in april and they are going to train us in the bucksqueeze. I was wondering if there was any tricks or tips to using the thing? The guys that already have them seem to be having a rough time getting use to it. Thanks

Lnhnd13
03-26-2008, 07:48 PM
Not to pull you off your subject, but are your lower ape's being taught to free climb at least for emergency situations. I work for AEP west and was wondering how it was being done.

topgroove
03-26-2008, 10:09 PM
I am getting ready to go back to lineman school, C-300, in april and they are going to train us in the bucksqueeze. I was wondering if there was any tricks or tips to using the thing? The guys that already have them seem to be having a rough time getting use to it. Thanks

i've found that if you put your right hand in the carabeiner and left hand on the yellow handel and keep it a little loose its a lot easier to slide up the pole. take two steps and slide it up. don't fight it cause it'll just tire your arms out. I use a second retractable seatbelt type safety and belt in above an obstruction, then I can loosen up the bucksqueze and swivel it around to open it up and get it above the obstruction. coming down is a lot easier and smoother with gravity on your side. i've also found its a lot easier and quicker to just use a 28 ft ladder to get you above the secondary.

johnbellamy
03-27-2008, 01:07 AM
How do retired or semi retired lineman think about the bucksqueeze, or the new so called lineman and safety procedures or whats happening to the trade in general.

Please don't sugar coat it, tell me how you really feel.

If you had to work this way, would you still have wanted to be lineman?

Are you laughin your ass off, cause I think you are.

topgroove
03-27-2008, 01:44 AM
How do retired or semi retired lineman think about the bucksqueeze, or the new so called lineman and safety procedures or whats happening to the trade in general.

Please don't sugar coat it, tell me how you really feel.

If you had to work this way, would you still have wanted to be lineman?

Are you laughin your ass off, cause I think you are.

I'm not semi retired but I'ld say I'm in the seventh inning strech
every crazy idea thats come down pike has never once stopped me from making money... In fact with each insane policy brings me more oppertunity to make even more money than the year before. How many jobs are there that you make more money than your supervisor, they have no idea how to do your job, and if they get pissed at you another job is available withen a couple hours probebly for more money.

PA BEN
03-27-2008, 08:16 AM
i've found that if you put your right hand in the carabeiner and left hand on the yellow handel and keep it a little loose its a lot easier to slide up the pole. take two steps and slide it up. don't fight it cause it'll just tire your arms out. I use a second retractable seatbelt type safety and belt in above an obstruction, then I can loosen up the bucksqueze and swivel it around to open it up and get it above the obstruction. coming down is a lot easier and smoother with gravity on your side. i've also found its a lot easier and quicker to just use a 28 ft ladder to get you above the secondary.
A lineman using a ladder on a perfectly good wooden pole? That tells me this bucksq@#^% isn't worth a s#!t.:eek:

topgroove
03-27-2008, 10:23 AM
lineman4aep asked a question and I answered it honestly. Yea the bucksqueeze is a pain but the fact of the matter remains. It is what it is. You may not agree with all these rediculous safety rules your employer comes up with but its their table, their cards and their chips. We're just the players. The comment about the ladder was simply the honest truth. very few backlot poles are nice clean poles. most have several risers on them, pole steps, cable tv and telephone drops making mandatory use of the bucksqueeze not practicle. If you ever had to use one You'ld understand the situation.

PA BEN
03-27-2008, 01:01 PM
If you would rather pack a 28ft ladder to a back yard pole, then use this skid, that tells me it isn't worth a s#!t. I'm sorry you have to use it. I liked the old skids that had the one spring lock. I have a hard time with the new double safety lock skid with my left thumb joint gone. I get-er-done but I don't like it.:eek:

PA BEN
03-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Every so often we renew our first aid card, renew our forklift card, renew our flagger card. We do pole top rescue. All of this to cover our and the utilities ass. So why not have a climbing recertification with normal climbing gear?:rolleyes:

topgroove
03-27-2008, 01:28 PM
that's a good idea ben, but we were told this whole fall protection fiasco has to do with osha compliance.

freshjive
03-27-2008, 04:00 PM
Its true...this is the only way I know how to climb proficiently...(we freeclimbed but not nearly as much) As for hints:

rub the brown strap against the pole back and fourth to break it in..The hardest part of the bucksqueeze is tightening the brown strap when the pole gets skinnier at the top..I also found a secret to make this very easy..It may take a few extra minutes but it saves your forearems, and alot of unnecessary energy

Hook your 2nd belt around the pole (so you have the bucksquueze and the other belt attatched)..Then, loosen the bucksqueeze until it wants to slide down the pole..(all of your weight will be on the 2nd belt and not the bucksquueze. Then pull up the bucksqueeze to where you want it and sinch it up to 3:00 and 9:00 position.. Since all of your weight is on the 2nd belt, it is like you are tightening it with zero resistance...... But to each his own, it worked for me and this is how i do it everytime to conserve my energy...

I was stuck in it for 7 weeks straight, so I have kind of grown fond of it

lineman4aep
03-27-2008, 07:53 PM
Not to pull you off your subject, but are your lower ape's being taught to free climb at least for emergency situations. I work for AEP west and was wondering how it was being done.

I was brought up free climbing, and I still do every chance I get. After I get done with school though, I won't be free climbing anymore.

johnbellamy
03-27-2008, 09:00 PM
The guys I have mostly worked with let guys do what they want, so life is good, and I have chose to ignore most of the shit they are coming up with. But some of the new guys have said stuff like you got to. My reply is I don't gotta do shit. I will take the heat if and when it comes, but I can only play the ignorance card for so long.

Some change is good, but most of this shit, well its just shit.

Pootnaigle
03-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Back in my day we didnt use a harness in the bucket we used our body belts and saftey. Fortunately I have never been exposed to the bucksqueze but I already know I would hate it. May work fine on a clean pole but jus how many of those are there? I cant begin to imagine usin one on a sewed up leaning corner pole. I spoze it like Swamp sez we are resistant to change........ With that said just imagine the changes that have taken place since the 1930's or 40's. Felt hats were the order of the day and hydraulics that we all use daily didnt exist, for digging, lifting, or ascention. Just imagine what one of the real oldtimers would think about todays methods. Gloving 4kv was risky business and 34.5 was not to be handled by hand.Fiberglass wasnt in the picture either so everything was made of wood and required meticulous care. Mules and wagons, Lottsa men, Cast iron Transformers that weighed a ton.......... I spect the oldtimers would say "Hell I'll stay home and send the wife to do what them boys do"

wtdoor67
03-27-2008, 11:23 PM
I want to see how they manuever those things up one of those poles covered with vines.

You know I spent a lot of time climbing poles by hitchhiking or arkansawing as some call it. I always thought it was a very safe method. Never had a fall doing it with that method.

Never saw anyone free climb a weather cracked 90 footer in the winter with a ton of clothes on and the wind blowing like a gale.

With those little back yard buckets and the trend toward URD, I expect climbers will be in museums someday. Progress, you can't beat it.

johnbellamy
03-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Get use to it man.....cause it's gonna Run YOU OVER.

You WILL Do it, or ya won't be in Linework anymore. That simple. It's comin to YOUR Hood. It's just a matter of time.

I think they will look at what they have done and say what the **** were we thinkin?

I think If they tell companies in my hood you got to by buckets for everyone, bucksqueeze for everyone, gloves and sleeves and say glove everything, throw your sticks out, Naw that ain't goin fly around here.

I WON'T DO IT, and I will still do linework, bucksqeeze, I will fight it and say it is more unsafe because of pole top rescue, climbing busy poles where you have enough problems with one skid. Its not a practical tool to use in linework, somebody will have to show how efficent they can be with one of those ****ers, not just go up a clean pole. I ain't buyin it.

We have to re certify every year to climb and be efficent at pole top rescue, So climb however you want when your certified your a big boy,
or go someplace else to do linework, not in my hood.

mainline
03-28-2008, 08:05 AM
My utillity is usually 20 years behind on just about everything. I hope we stay 20 years behind on this one. I feel bad for all the guys like topgroove who are forced into it. Thanks for the answer to the question asked . I had actually wondered about that myself. As for using a ladder if it is easier it is easier. We have used them on poles that have risers on all four quarters. Do what you have to to get the job done, and if it takes longer we get paid by the hour. I do hate doing s$%t that makes the job needlessly difficult.

500 KVA
03-28-2008, 09:44 AM
I've been around a long time as well. I never had to do the body belts and lanyards thing, and Hitchhiking was for pussies. Too many years have gone by and Too many things have happened.

I never wore a belt and lanyard because I didn't know any better. Nobody told me. (No excuse).

I had a friend die because his bucket was hit by a tractor trailer and he was slung out and landed on his head. He would be alive right now if he was harnessed in! I've heard that similar story a few more times over the years. There is no reason not to be harnessed in. I don't want to hear it because there is no excuse not to be!

The bucksqueeze. Haven't really seen it yet. I'm sure it's coming. If it keeps one person from falling and being a qaudrapelegic or dead, then its worth it. Who cares what all you "Old Timer" bad asses say! You want to hit the ground, do it on your own time. Me, I want to go home every night, and another tool in my arsenal that will help me do it is okay with me.

Everything was invented for a reason. It serves some purpose. Safety rules are the same way. I guess we would like to go back to the good old days of linework were 50% of linemen were hurt seriously or killed. Yep screw these new f-ing safety rules like RUBBER GLOVES. Homemade Climbers that use bent nails as your gaffs. Screw the storebought kind that they just invented.

You guys need to quite being dinosaurs. These new kids will be following your example and even passing it on to their apes. Trouble is you'll be out of the trade and they'll be engulfed in things you never would comprehend in your career. Don't screw them with your old timers attitude.

Just my 2 cents.

wtdoor67
03-28-2008, 10:49 AM
The hardest thing is to change. I expect something like the Bucksqueeze is really a good thing.

The most reflexive resistance to something like that is that most power co's don't present things in a good manner.

Their attitude of forcing things upon people is the biggest problem. So many rules are put upon folks without adequate explanation. The arrogant order of "Just do it and don't ask questions" is what puts most people off.

I remember once during a safety meeting that I had raised a question about something. I'm sure it wasn't all that important but I recall I was just trying to present another view. The local supervisor jumped to his feet and began to yell. "Goddammit, what difference does it make?" "Just do it." In attendance was the district manager (the local supervisor's boss), and the head of HR. Neither made a sound. That to me is just the typical attitude of many management people that just put people off.

If co's nation wide had a rash of falling accidents, I could understand, but I've not heard of it.

To me they pick and choose some. My comments about Nolan labs and AEP's attitude on EPZ grounding is just typical. They have a hangup about it but just won't share their views with other co's and come to a decision.

Another good example. I knew a person once who was a safety man with another entity. I said to him. We get periodic accident reports sometime and I'll just forward them via e-mail to you. He said, thanks that would be a big help to me in my safety meetings. I did this and periodically he would comment that it was a big help to him. Anything for safety right?

Eventually an accident came through that involved a 480 meter made by GE. This meter blew up and severely burned a man. I forwarded the accident report to my friend as it was written up by my Co. Upon presenting this report to some other entities, it was reported of course that it was made by GE. Eventually I got an E-Mail from GE threatening to sue me and my co. if I did not cease this type of activity. Anything for safety, right?

Any time a new safety device or practice comes I view it with suspicion. Sometimes there are hidden agendas that come to light. There used to be the old urban myth that the purchasing agent or some higher up sometimes owns stock in the co. that makes the device. Sometimes true I believe.

puc
03-28-2008, 11:36 AM
never had to use it like alot of you guys but the the belt everyone is going to in ontario is the pole choker 4 its almost like a regular two clip belt just one extra belt in front of you i recommend it and instend of a pizza cutter it has two squares on the belt with little spikes (not to sharp) for the pole

Buzz Lightyear
03-29-2008, 10:54 AM
Been Using a Bucksqueeze for some time now! use it almost daily.
company Mandated it for most folks, the most Senior Guys can still Free Climb until they either have an Accident or can't re-qualify and must be retrained on it!Granted i work for the Telco, and thus I dont have too many obstacles i have to climb over like most of you would have too.

However, As a safety tool I must say that if you cut out or in CA. where we have Earth Quakes!!:) YOU WONT FALL!!

I agree though that Free Climbing should be taught anyways as a back up for such instances as Pole top rescue! i cant see that as being as possible
with some newbie doing it with a bucksqueeze!

as for linemen who dont free Climb or who use a bucksqueeze being pussies
or any less of a man:do we call marines who wear a Battle helmet on the Front lines as opposed to Marines that wear only Boonie hats while in the Field Pussies or being any less of a man or marine for that matter ?!:rolleyes:

Just my 2 Cents

Trbl639
04-19-2008, 09:57 PM
Been free climbing for close to 38 years myself.........Free climbed my last pole on Company property on April 1........right before they trained us and certified us on the BuckSqueeze........climbed several that day......and haven't used it since, mainly cause I had hand surgery on April 2!!!!!!!

Go back to work in another couple of weeks, and then I'll have to get used to it..but being a Trblmn, I won't use it that much...then I plan on retiring the end of the year, and I can go back to Free climbing............

Nobody with our outfit wanted to use it..was forced on us by upper management, mainly after a young kid in our Boot Camp took a nasty fall, and got broke up pretty good........he's gonna be ok, but it busted him up !!!! He had been climbing maybe 6-8 weeks!!! Our Transmission hands had been forced to hitch-hike for months even before this guy fell..they got the BuckSqueeze a few months before we did!!!

Trbl639
04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Yup.

Just the "Mandated' thing man.

The "Bullet Proofin" of Linework. Pretty soon, Anybody can do it!!

Next,
Linework won't be a "Skilled Trade" anymore.
We'll be like....
well, no...I won't say that...

Cause, nowdays....That's a "skilled trade" too.:D

BUT...once ya "RUBBER UP" a "Linemean" enough....
shit...they can do anything...No "Skill" needed. Just call em a "Lineman", and "RUBBER em up" :rolleyes:

When we are told by the company that .........They can find LINEMAN on any street corner in any town, anytime.......we always say Yeah Right!!!!

Well.......before long THEY won't be Lying to us!!!!!

The old timers/Real Lineman like us and the ones we came up under... are becoming more and more.............

A RARE AND DYING BREED

mainline
04-21-2008, 02:05 PM
No offense to you old timers, but the new guys can't do line work sh&* wears thin after a while. I've only been in the trade for eleven years, but from what I have seen there are good and bad lineman in all groups. I have seen great 20 year old and sh*(ty 30 year guys. It has nothing to do with the age of the guy, it has to do with desire. I don't care who you are, in order to do hot work well you have to be good at your job. Cover up does not take care of stupidity it just puts off the inevitable...death. So next time we get back to the, back in the old days crap, remember the old days weren't that great, and there were still dipsh&ts back then. I know I have met some of them, and heard about more. Still I am in agreement about the bucksqueeze, I don't want one.

Trbl639
04-22-2008, 12:58 AM
No offense to you old timers, but the new guys can't do line work sh&* wears thin after a while. I've only been in the trade for eleven years, but from what I have seen there are good and bad lineman in all groups. I have seen great 20 year old and sh*(ty 30 year guys. It has nothing to do with the age of the guy, it has to do with desire. I don't care who you are, in order to do hot work well you have to be good at your job. Cover up does not take care of stupidity it just puts off the inevitable...death. So next time we get back to the, back in the old days crap, remember the old days weren't that great, and there were still dipsh&ts back then. I know I have met some of them, and heard about more. Still I am in agreement about the bucksqueeze, I don't want one.

I gotta agree!! I work with a few guys that have 20+ yrs and are sorry...work with some that have the desire, and know their Sh!T....would just as soon work without some of the slackers, that are there for the paycheck, and think all a trblmn has to do is find it, and let a crew fix t...and that ain't the way it's done!!!!!!!
Also work with some young new hands that just topped out, and are gonna be some great hands, even a few apprentices that have it in their heart as well.........
as far as cover-up it's made to use, yet some guys don't want to use it right......me, I was brought up old school and I use the pee out of it !!! But because of an accident last year where we had a guy (about 10 yrs experience) get burned pretty bad ...he is ok now...because of lack of cover-up.....all out jmen/sr lineman/trblmn have to go to a 1 day cover-up school..but the good thing is, the company is buying us a crapload of new cover-up, things we've tried to get before, but the budget wasn't big enough, if ya know what I mean:mad:

and if ya get caught not using it, it's time off for a few days or gone for good!!!!

albmm05
04-24-2008, 07:21 PM
the bucksqueeze may be a pain but in Canada we have a peice of sh_t call a jelco 3 or jelco 4. It does not allow you to free climb at all, ZERO. Even with my full float bashlin I can only move the amount that the belts itself allows me. We were required to turn in our regular straps for these abortions. So far I have shorted one jelco 4 with the ice picks and caught my jelco 3 on the telephone and cable more times than I can count. If this is safety it was thought up by some monkey in a suit who has never climbed let alone worked in the trade. This thing is dangerous.

Koga
04-25-2008, 07:42 PM
have declared its comming and we will get trained to use it. But that still wont teach em to climb or what to do once they get up there. I watched a few of our so called 2nd and 3rd class guys climb the other day! All I can say is it was a damn shame:mad:. Some folks just aren't cut out to be linemen.
Koga

freshjive
04-26-2008, 02:05 PM
we had to learn how to freeclimb, but most of our time was spent in the bucksqueeze..there are examples when freeclimbing is still allowed (when there are far too many obstructions on the pole and you cannot get to it with a bucket)...I will admit i'm alot better with the buckqueese, but that's what i used for 7 weeks....If i freeclimbed for 7 weeks i'd probably suck at using the bucksqueeze......I don't mind it, (since that's kinda how you have to do it these days if you want a job LOL) but with all the obstructions on poles these days, by the time you get to wherevever you need to go on the pole, you are sweating and exhausted from all of the double-belting.........

TresAmigos
07-22-2010, 01:07 AM
All of our new apps. have to belt climb. Been a Co rule for about 3 years. I agree, that guys should learn how to free climb before even thinking about a buck squeeze or second rope safety, gain respect for it. When I was in climbing school, we didn't even get to wear our belts for the first week, just gaffs and gauntlets. Im by any means no old timer, but I have to say that all these impractical rules being mandated by some upper managment washout are a slap to the face of the line trade and every lineman that made this the great trade that it is. And also gives the guys who wouldnt take three steps up a pole when we had to free climb, another chance, when they have no business being there in the first place.

old lineman
07-24-2010, 08:58 PM
the bucksqueeze may be a pain but in Canada we have a peice of sh_t call a jelco 3 or jelco 4. It does not allow you to free climb at all, ZERO. Even with my full float bashlin I can only move the amount that the belts itself allows me. We were required to turn in our regular straps for these abortions. So far I have shorted one jelco 4 with the ice picks and caught my jelco 3 on the telephone and cable more times than I can count. If this is safety it was thought up by some monkey in a suit who has never climbed let alone worked in the trade. This thing is dangerous.

Nice to see your so happy with the Pole Chocker 4. Nobody said it was going to feel like free climbing does. It's obvious to a five year old kid that there is a huge difference.
It's also obvious that you don't know sh*t about how it was developed.
It's amusing how some jerk can criticize something and never even offer an alternative. Right from the get go seasoned linemen were involved, that's why it's fourth generation.
OK Smart ass put a better idea on the table.
The Old Lineman

Edge
08-05-2010, 08:49 PM
Nice to see your so happy with the Pole Chocker 4. Nobody said it was going to feel like free climbing does. It's obvious to a five year old kid that there is a huge difference.
It's also obvious that you don't know sh*t about how it was developed.
It's amusing how some jerk can criticize something and never even offer an alternative. Right from the get go seasoned linemen were involved, that's why it's fourth generation.
OK Smart ass put a better idea on the table.
The Old Lineman

well ole great old safty man I DO know how it was developed... and knew 2 of the lineman that were involed....

heres a better alternative...

make climber inspection include the gd gaffs for proper shape and sharpness...

most of the great north that I worked was penta poles or 'sotes when it was bustion... yellow jacks for mission... what ever....

those bitches are soft as hell... so most hand up dere ehh... would let there gaffs round out ... hell I knew some that even put them on a grinder... cuz they hate how bad that it pulled on their knees when they climbed... bitch with those poles vs most cca's like we got down here is shale or shell rot... a shitty hook or gaff or what the **** ever you call it means your in the shale not the wood...

quick way to the dirt...

learn how to climb learn how to use your tools...

and learn how to take care of them... the RIGHT way...

for what it's worth...

Edge