PDA

View Full Version : 40 year old Apprentice

jnewsom
04-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Nice forum guys.

After 18 years as a low volt guy. 12 of witch comes with the IBEW, I am looking to become an apprentice again.:eek:

For the first time in my life I just can't keep steady employment. There are lots of reasons, but the big one is not enough work to go around with out traveling with the work.

So with 18 years in one area of the trade I am going to try and get into another, outside lineman work.

I will take any advice that you guys can offer. I do understand that my skills as a journeyman electrician do not qualify me as a lineman that's why I say apprentice AGAIN:eek:

MEGA81
04-20-2008, 09:11 PM
You are gonna have to travel if you do the IBEW apprenticeship. If you can score a job with an IOU or CO-OP, then you can stay at home. I would try and find a happy medium like Sub-station tech or Instrumentation and control, or cable splicer. Of course, if being a Lineman is all that you can think about, you better just go for it. Best of luck man!

jnewsom
04-21-2008, 12:00 PM
MEGA.

Thanks for the words, not sure what i would be best at. I am sure that getting the heck out of Michigan is one of the goals.

Hemingray Insulators
04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
what part of Michigan? i'm from SW MI, and graduate HS may 30th and am puttin in aplications at almost every JATC lol. welcome to the site:)

RadonHuffer
05-02-2008, 12:26 PM
I am in the same boat, and also from michigan.

Getting shot at while doing my job was not part of my original job description and working for the city of saginaw was full of pitfalls.

I am driving to Iowa every week and loving it Great crew and My career is back on track.