PDA

View Full Version : Brand newbee here ..lineman hopefull

1welder
04-21-2008, 01:49 PM
I have enjoyed reading the posts here. Some good stuff.

I was pondering getting out in the field again. I currently have held the same position for nearly 10 years in electronics; therefore, not having any recent utility experience.

Prior millitary, working as a tower and chimney technician (electronics) and then later working out of bucket trucks installing traffic lights, I was hoping this would be some sort of experience. I made an interview last year w/ a local co-op that looked very good; however, better luck next time. I found out later they had been getting several guys from Pike.

So Im going to try them soon. 34 too old for an apprenticeship?

Just wondered if anyone here had any thoughts for fellow in my position.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/nojeep/scan0002-2.jpg

BigClive
04-21-2008, 04:57 PM
34 is young. There's plenty of time to do what you want to do. Just keep trying and you'll get there.

1welder
04-21-2008, 10:03 PM
So 34 is not too old??? Hope they think so.

I gotta get some sky under my boots again.

Im still fit.:rolleyes:

tolex42
04-22-2008, 10:20 AM
I have enjoyed reading the posts here. Some good stuff.

I was pondering getting out in the field again. I currently have held the same position for nearly 10 years in electronics; therefore, not having any recent utility experience.

Prior millitary, working as a tower and chimney technician (electronics) and then later working out of bucket trucks installing traffic lights, I was hoping this would be some sort of experience. I made an interview last year w/ a local co-op that looked very good; however, better luck next time. I found out later they had been getting several guys from Pike.

So Im going to try them soon. 34 too old for an apprenticeship?

Just wondered if anyone here had any thoughts for fellow in my position.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb226/nojeep/scan0002-2.jpg

Go to the IBEW web site. There are links there to Outside Apprentice Training in every area of the USA. Contact them and apply to there program.

22900013A
04-22-2008, 01:02 PM
I trained alongside some guys in their 40s! Okay, thats in Englad but things can't be that different. Over here the utilties are keen on ex-military folks too.

Good luck mate!

1welder
04-22-2008, 09:25 PM
I spoke w/ the local 39 of the 422 and got most of the info I needed to get my application in. We went through all the pay scale numbers and several other things.

I was surprised with thier interest. Now to wiegh and l consider the union route.

Thanks guys I really didnt know how seemingly easy it was to get squared away with the folks here at the local IBEW.

ROBL
04-24-2008, 03:09 PM
Hey welder,

I was 34 when i became an app with the IBEW......best thing i have ever done for myself and family. I am about half way thru my apprenticeship and love it. Good luck!!!

shoponline
04-24-2008, 03:15 PM
we can supply low price with high quality products.You can view our website for the details.
Thanks for your reading , pls email us if u have any questions about business . We hope that will make a long&great business with you in future.
Your satisfactions,Our pursuit!
Please Email me to get discount!!
MSN: newnike-shoes@hotmail.com
YAHOO: newnike-shoes@yahoo.com.cn
or E-mail:newnike.shoes100@gmail.com
Best regards

LostArt
04-24-2008, 09:18 PM
we can supply low price with high quality products.You can view our website for the details.
Thanks for your reading , pls email us if u have any questions about business . We hope that will make a long&great business with you in future.
Your satisfactions,Our pursuit!
Please Email me to get discount!!
MSN: newnike-shoes@hotmail.com
YAHOO: newnike-shoes@yahoo.com.cn
or E-mail:newnike.shoes100@gmail.com
Best regards

Sorry Dude. You have to go through the proper channels. Not to mention that you don't even make sense in this thread! You didn't even use any creativity! Jeeze.

Bull Dog
04-25-2008, 11:52 AM
Good luck son your the perfect age and I see your a ex military also helpful as long as it a honorable discharge. Keep up that good attitude and you'll get on with a opportunity. To many guys go in like they owe them a job not good. I'm shure they will like your experience. Remember its a long road and can be frustrating and tough for a new man but I'm betting you got the right stuff good luck.

1welder
04-25-2008, 11:22 PM
Good luck son your the perfect age and I see your a ex military also helpful as long as it a honorable discharge. Keep up that good attitude and you'll get on with a opportunity. To many guys go in like they owe them a job not good. I'm shure they will like your experience. Remember its a long road and can be frustrating and tough for a new man but I'm betting you got the right stuff good luck.

Thanks bulldog working on my class b CDL right now.

Im excited.

IN THE SHADOWS
04-25-2008, 11:30 PM
1 welder
Go for class A CDL with air brake and haz mat endorsements...not class B, first aid/cpr card and a flagging card get em all if you can...it'll help you on any interviews to have em in your back pocket...good luck

1welder
04-27-2008, 01:16 AM
1 welder
Go for class A CDL with air brake and haz mat endorsements...not class B, first aid/cpr card and a flagging card get em all if you can...it'll help you on any interviews to have em in your back pocket...good luck

Thanks
Going to fire dept Mon to get more info.

thatguy0003
05-02-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey i am going to be going to a lineman school and was wondering if anyone has been and could maybe tell me what to expect. I would kind of like to know a little what it's going to be like before i get there ya know. And if anyone has any climbing tips i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks guys

IN THE SHADOWS
05-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Hey i am going to be going to a lineman school and was wondering if anyone has been and could maybe tell me what to expect. I would kind of like to know a little what it's going to be like before i get there ya know. And if anyone has any climbing tips i would greatly appreciate it! Thanks guys

Having sat on IBEW apprenticeship committees for years and interviewing/testing applicants I can tell you that guys who have been to "lineman schools" usually have a leg up on apprenticship applicants off the street who have done nothing more than maybe watched a line crew work. The failure rate is lower also. Once you complete your lineman school I highly encourage you to apply for an accredited apprenticeship program and get your Journeymans Card. It will pay off in the long run.

As far as climbing tips..# 1 get yourself a belt and set of hooks and find yourself a Journeyman Lineman mentor to teach you the right way right off the bat.

If you got room somewhere, you can usually get a pole planted for you to practice on.

If that aint an option, and your lineman school didnt get you certified, check with a Local IBEW Union Hall for the location of certified climbing schools, usually associated with "pre-apprentice" programs run by the Local's JATC. There are a few around. Best of luck to ya.

grizzlybuck
05-17-2008, 11:35 AM
That guy, it has been my experience, having been a guest instructor at a line school and being a lineman and at times crew leader, that the apprentices/students attitude is the most important thing. Don't be a brown noser or a$$kisser, but pay attention, be alert, ask questions (try to think about them first) and the instructors and linemen will go out of their way teach you to the best of their ability.

Linework is a brotherhood and we appreciate a grunt or ape that respects the job and committment it takes to do it right, work your tail off, respect your elders (doesn't mean being a brown noser) and we'll bust our tails to turn you into a llineman.

Perk
06-11-2008, 08:18 PM
I started my apprenticeship @ the age of 36 goin' on 37. I'll be 40 next month & still have close to a year to go. You have the heights thing licked already so you'll have no prob. Since you're ex-military you won't be as intimidated when the climbing school instructors are being prick$ trying to weed people out. Like someone suggested, get w/ a JL and have them work w/ you on your climbing before getting started, especially if they are among the same people you'll be working w/. They'll be more than glad to help & you'll get a healthy dose of respect from them by showing some initiative & seeking their guidance.

EvanSparks
06-23-2008, 04:42 PM
34's not too old. I'm in a C class now and half of my class is in their 30's. One person is 47 so you definetely aren't too old. I would second the recommendation for getting your Class A CDL. Good Luck and I know there's a fair amount of opportunity in Mass. and the Northeast.

tonykinetic
06-30-2008, 08:41 AM
Hey welder,

I was 34 when i became an app with the IBEW......best thing i have ever done for myself and family. I am about half way thru my apprenticeship and love it. Good luck!!!

This a good thread for me- I'm 35 and thinkin of goin Lineman, too - I was electrical in the military for 7 years, then i've been project manager for electrical construction for the last 9 years- and I can't see me runnin work for another 30 years- I hope i don't lose my house, because I'll be taking a monster paycut, but i'm filling out the apprentice IBEW forms today-

I miss ACTUALLY doing something with my day... other than budget/paperwork...worse comes to worse, I can always go back inside in a few years- but im still in decent shape, so nows the time-
thoughts?

newbie22
07-01-2008, 08:07 AM
I'm 36 years-old just graduated from NLC in California and went right to work yesterday.

tonykinetic
07-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Congrats- I'm pretty anxious to get this process underway.

What's NLC and who picked you up, contractor or Union?

swetngblts
07-01-2008, 09:06 AM
I'm 36 years-old just graduated from NLC in California and went right to work yesterday.

Well, tell us about your first day. :)

Tonyk
I just graduated from Northwest Lineman College as well and am in my 30's.

tonykinetic
07-01-2008, 09:10 PM
Ski- that's good news about all you guys in their 30's speaking up about makin the move- It makes me feel alot better about chasin this thing down- I gotta tell ya, I'm sweatin the choice a bit since i'm a single dad, house payment, established career, etc- blah, blah, blah- but honestly, I been runnin electrical work from a desk for 7 years now and it will steal your soul!!!
I may have been bitchin about workin on a genset when it was 30 below ten years ago in the field, but I sure miss that sense of accomplishment- ...Guess all I can do now is wait for A "prompt" response (you'll get the joke if you know the unions) from the Hall- hopefully, we'll still have electricity by then-
How'd you get into this line of work?

swetngblts
07-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Ski- that's good news about all you guys in their 30's speaking up about makin the move- It makes me feel alot better about chasin this thing down- I gotta tell ya, I'm sweatin the choice a bit since i'm a single dad, house payment, established career, etc- blah, blah, blah- -
How'd you get into this line of work?

There was a few more guys in our class around and/or above the age of 30. Prime age if you ask me. I know i still have 30+ years of work left in me. We had a few instructors in there 70's that could out work us any day. My dad is in his 70's still running a business. We're still babies in our 30's.

I'm sweating some things too. Mortgage, kids, toys, girlfriend. I had a very well paying career that i'm leaving behind. Wasnt happy anymore and it wasnt challenging for me. I researched for about 6 months, planned accordingly and made the move. Not looking back either and i'm risking losing it all.

It looks like i'll be entering the trade next week. :)

tonykinetic
07-02-2008, 11:35 AM
I feel the same way; what i'm doing now just ain't for me- being management just don't interest me anymore, too much stress and no job satisfaction...it blows!

Planning accordingly is the right call- I'm actually doing a bit of "positioning" now, but I guess it's really just waitin for call from the Hall-

Goodluck on the start next week- I hope you'll keep us posted...I might want to see what i'm in for. Who you working for? are you going union or contractor?

swetngblts
07-03-2008, 10:41 AM
I'm going with a Non-Union contractor for the time being. Waiting for the Union to call which may be a while.

freshjive
07-03-2008, 05:22 PM
you get out of lineworl what you put into it...I'm a 3rd class (7.5 months in) and have a lot to learn still but if you have an open mind and do what your told to do when your told to do it, you'll be fine..Its verrrrrrrryyyyyy frustrating for the first few months....Every simple task seems hard, but with time, what you thought was once hard becomes easier, and you start to understand more and more what the person in the air, being it you, or your crewleader is gonna do before he starts the work....The thing i've noticed about this job is it is a lot of repetition..You can only do so much with a pole and some wires..Pretty soon, you'll learn by repetition, and doing it over and over....It'll seem awkward at first, but the more you do it, like anything else, the easier it becomes

tonykinetic
07-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Well I got my apprentice package out to the Missouri Valley local yesterday, so now I get to sit back and wait for the call......yay-
I'll keep ya posted- I hope local 160 needs alot of help this year!!

Doggboi
07-25-2008, 01:07 AM
I too changed Careers into Linework at the mid-30's range. I dropped comcast cable and went to school at SLTC ( the story is somewhere here on the forums ) The one thing you will have to deal with is the average equal ( or in my crew quarters 1 yr + ) apprentice will be about 10 years your jr, and cocky as hell, but as long as you can stay smooth , and let what you already know about leadership , they will come around and start asking what you think on the jobs. Wouldnt change it for anything , although I still wonder what I was thinking when I decided to sell a house that was 5 miles from the ocean to do this.

D