PDA

View Full Version : Heli Work vs. Ground

IronLine
05-01-2008, 01:59 AM
Hey ya'll-

So I've been working for an Aerial Line contractor for the past 7 months or so, I came here right after graduating from SLTC (line school). I've got a great job that pays really well, good bennies etc., but I don't feel like I'm ever going to learn more than just the superficial aspect of the trade that we do. We do a lot of line maintenance, (installing marker balls, wire pulls, conductor splices/patch rod, clippin in, s/w hardware installs repairs etc.) but there is no formalized apprenticeship program here. Plus, I really don't like working non-union. I've been looking at going back to my original plan, which was to try and get on with the Northwest Line JATC program, anyone here going through, or gone through it? It pisses me off when I don't know everything that I can about the trade that I'm in, and I think that this would be the best route for me to take, get my time in on the ground, get my ticket, then maybe go back to Helo work at a later point if it still called to me...Any advice?

BigClive
05-01-2008, 06:50 AM
Given the differences between the two jobs I'd guess that you'd be starting on the bottom rung again, and that would probably mean a dramatic wage drop.

I can understand why you'd want to do it though. Just a need for technical "completeness". Just remember that the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the hill.

I get the feeling that you might find the ground based work much harder though, since you currently basically fly straight to your point of work from a central base. Certainly worth a go though, as long as you feel you have an opportunity to back track and get taken back on with the heli company.

IN THE SHADOWS
05-01-2008, 11:44 AM
It pisses me off when I don't know everything that I can about the trade that I'm in, and I think that this would be the best route for me to take, get my time in on the ground, get my ticket, then maybe go back to Helo work at a later point if it still called to me...Any advice?

IronLine
Absolute good move on your part to go ahead and get your Journeyman
Lineman Card through NWJATC or a utility apprenticeship.

Might be an initial step back in wages, but in the long run it would be well worth the effort.

Completing an IBEW apprenticeship will land you the "ticket" in your back pocket that will allow you to walk in to any employer in the world qualified to perform any facet of line work; transmission, distribution, wood, steel, underground, whatever.

As you are obviously aware, there is so much more to linework than what your doing, and so much more would be available to you with the "ticket".

There is now and coming soon an even more serious shortage of Journeymen Linemen. I'm talking about a huge number of "50 somethings" thats going to be retiring in the next 3-6 years that have to be replaced.

Go for it. It's the best trade in the world. You'll be glad you did. Good Luck!!

Trbl639
05-01-2008, 09:19 PM
IronLine
Absolute good move on your part to go ahead and get your Journeyman
Lineman Card through NWJATC or a utility apprenticeship.

Might be an initial step back in wages, but in the long run it would be well worth the effort.

Completing an IBEW apprenticeship will land you the "ticket" in your back pocket that will allow you to walk in to any employer in the world qualified to perform any facet of line work; transmission, distribution, wood, steel, underground, whatever.

As you are obviously aware, there is so much more to linework than what your doing, and so much more would be available to you with the "ticket".

There is now and coming soon an even more serious shortage of Journeymen Linemen. I'm talking about a huge number of "50 somethings" thats going to be retiring in the next 3-6 years that have to be replaced.

Go for it. It's the best trade in the world. You'll be glad you did. Good Luck!!

Good advice!! Get your ticket, and you'll go anywhere ya want to!!! I'm one of those '50 somethings' gonna have 38 years in December, and gonna retire myself....gonna convert my utility card to an 'A', so If I want to do some Trampin, I'll be set!!!!!!!!!