PDA

View Full Version : How do I get started

bhicks
05-07-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi, I'm wanting to become a lineman and am wondering what is the bert way to get started. I applied to the ALBAT program and they sent me a letter saying that I would be scheduled for an interview within the next 12 month period. Has any body been through this program? How long might it take them to contact me and what are the chances of me getting selected? I was also wondering if there are any jobs I could get before becoming an apprentice. I live in southeast Indiana so if anyone knows of any thing in this area it would be greatly appretiated. Thanks in advance

grizzlybuck
05-08-2008, 09:36 PM
BH, here in Central Ohio, AEP (a rather large investor owned utility) has begun to hire apes/grunts (apprentices) from some technical schools. It used to be normal around here to start as a meter reader and bid out to Line, but now that is not done as much as the kids from school have some practical experience in climbing as well as working some voltage.

Don't know if this helps, but good luck

ClimbingFool
05-12-2008, 09:42 PM
Theres alot of companies taking on people and doing there own 2 years of training and throwing them on a line crew for 2 years and then callingem journeyman. Some are even paying the whole tuition bill and all with a committment to stay on for a few years.