PDA

View Full Version : Climbing

Sparks33183
05-23-2008, 05:20 PM
hey everyone I have a question and need some advice....Currently I am third step apprentice in the NEAT apprenticeship...The highest I climbed was to date was a i believe a 50 or sixty footer H sturcture...I didnt climb alone, a J.L. was with me and we hitch hiked up together and we walked across to the other side, nailed up three numbers walked back and hitch hiked back down.... So my question is, is it normal to feel somewhat weery of climbing a 90 footer and have to do some real work, like sag or clip in or something... and is it normal to hitch hike or free climb...I dont wanna be a crappy apprentice or turn into a crappy J.L. I know experience comes in time...I dont wanna be the apprentice who kinda turns his head when a 90 footer needs to be climbed..PPl say if u can climb 30 u can climb 90..Is it true? or is this just something I just have to do to understand?:confused:

IronLine
05-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Hey man, I wouldn't worry about it. Hell yeah its normal to feel wary about climing 30+ more feet than you are used to, but at the same time man, thats where the work is. I remember going from climbing 35' poles to my first 65' and I was a friggin' nervous wreck. As sketchy and wavy as that 35' was I thought it would be way worse, but it was so much better on top of that big ass pole. You got a lot of room to move around, and they are normally pretty damn solid up there I always thought. (Unless you hop on that 30 year old weathered cracked dry rotted stick with three generations of woodpeckers livin' inside). Don't turn your head when the opportunity comes up, be the first to volunteer, only way to get comfortable doing it is to do it partner. Be safe!

PK270
05-25-2008, 09:19 AM
You only have to repeat what you did the first 30 three more times and you are there. Been doing this a long time and still have a "pucker" every now and then. I hate climbing big ones for numbers, you settle down a little more when you are able to do some work at the top. Most of what we do the brain is saying WHAT,you will have many conversations with the little voice over the years. Just remember to listen to it. Dont worry, everyone feels "wary" from time to time.

BigClive
05-25-2008, 01:56 PM
Most of what we do the brain is saying WHAT,you will have many conversations with the little voice over the years. Just remember to listen to it. Dont worry, everyone feels "wary" from time to time.

Yeah, but what if the little voice says "touch the shiny metal! Touch it NOW!!!" Or what if it says "Undo your belt big boy. Today we are going to FLY down like a triumphant eagle!!!" :(

Pootnaigle
05-25-2008, 03:04 PM
You would be amazed at the comfort level the addition of hardware adds on a naked pole.Dont add a thing structurely but sure makes ya feel better bout ridin the timber .Might also remind ya why linemen want a pole tamped properly when its planted.The true test is climbin em after they been there a spell and are leaning like a bitch and the work always seems to be on the low side.

Sparks33183
05-25-2008, 03:34 PM
I heard about the pucker, one of the instructors in class told me once.....I am sure once I just get over that 60 or 70 footer working a static line or reaching out on my belt to sag a phase...But thinking about it b4 actually doing it is murder...:eek:

PK270
05-25-2008, 07:32 PM
Anytime you want to work on my crew come on, one hell of an addition. There has been a few arguements with the voice, but whiskey was involved. I knew I should'nt get on that bar.

Clive, you are crazy as hell. Whenever you head this way the first one is on me.

mjames
05-31-2008, 06:57 PM
I live in Seattle, have no problem with the climing bit... question is I have not seen anyone "climb" a pole in 15-20 years...They all use the bucket trucks... Do linemen still climb?

MEGA81
05-31-2008, 08:26 PM
Until them anti gravity boots come out, lineman will have to climb poles.

ready2go
05-31-2008, 08:51 PM
lineman should always climb. buckets cant get to all the work

PA BEN
06-01-2008, 12:35 PM
lineman should always climb. buckets cant get to all the work
I'm a bucket baby, but I still put the hooks on once in a wile just to keep in the game. We just had our pole top rescue training out of our hooks. My crew had so much fun setting up the training, we're going to try a Lineman Rodeo next mouth. Two older lineman, one new just topped out lineman and a hell of a good apprentice. We might get our butts handed to us at the rodeo, but you have to start somewhere.:D