PDA

View Full Version : Texas Linework. Houston Area

Buzz Lightyear
05-27-2008, 11:04 PM
OK JOHN BELLAMY, i'm taking your suggestion
and i'm looking into POWER linework!

here's the deal, for those of you in this TEXAS part of the Country:
I'm currently a Lineman/Splicer on the Construction side for AT&T(oldMABELL)
I can climb,I'm not the typical Phonie ,
that sits in his Van and reads the Paper!
I CLIMB EVERYDAY! and I love it! Ladder lineman my ass! I'd rather work off of my Hooks if I can!I dont do the Typical phone installation and hang a drop from a Pole to a customers house horseshit! I splice the big copper cables
and also do manhole and Vault work so I'm trained in that aspect aswell. I'll even admit that I'm trained on the BUCKSQUEEZE!:D:o
it's company policy. free climbing is no go in the Bell System nowadays!
I have previous Electrical Expeirience with high Voltage from My HVAC days prior to Linework. I'm moving out to Houston @ the end of August.
I have tried to go about the Whole Transfer system to stay in the Company, but due to senority and other factors beyond my Control, it doesn't look like i can stay in the company and move down there and stay in linework!
But I love linework and so the call to step up to Power linework and run with the BIG BOYS is calling my name.

I need names of the Co-ops and power companys down there. union and non union. who's worth a shit and who isn't. which crews still belive in Brotherhood and which ones dont.
is there a way I can get in as a 2nd year apprentice?
the whole reason I'm moving down there is because CA is Goddamn Expensive and even on my Salary I have no choice but to leave due to financial hardship. so starting out as an Ass in the grass Apprentice like i'm freshout of highschool would be another Financial hardship.
I'm a Married man and have 3 boys. Not afraid of hard work or storm duty.
hell I lean out on a Crossarm farther out then some of these Phonies been away from Home!:D

anyone with some Info and Contacts, please hit me up!
I'm as serious about this as a Heart Attack!

johnbellamy
05-28-2008, 08:50 AM
Start with IBEW local 716, contact them and go to there web site. They can give you a list of utilities they represent, also the outside constuction outfits they represent, they can tell you there process of getting an apprentiship.

Then the rest is up to you, contact these utilities by phone or check out job openings on there websites.

Type up a good resume, send them out with a cover letter explaining your desire to get in the trade, the work experiance you have, and include your military record.

A union ticket is worth the short term sacrifices you will have to make, you will be able to work anywhere, and it is up to you on what kind of Brother you want to be, don't get discouraged by politics, they are everywhere.

Good luck, and if you do decide to get in the trade, remember that Lineman don't like guy's telling them I already know how to do that, listen and learn, and stay humble, earn there trust and there respect.

Buzz Lightyear
05-28-2008, 06:10 PM
Start with IBEW local 716, contact them and go to there web site. They can give you a list of utilities they represent, also the outside constuction outfits they represent, they can tell you there process of getting an apprentiship.

Then the rest is up to you, contact these utilities by phone or check out job openings on there websites.

Type up a good resume, send them out with a cover letter explaining your desire to get in the trade, the work experiance you have, and include your military record.

A union ticket is worth the short term sacrifices you will have to make, you will be able to work anywhere, and it is up to you on what kind of Brother you want to be, don't get discouraged by politics, they are everywhere.

Good luck, and if you do decide to get in the trade, remember that Lineman don't like guy's telling them I already know how to do that, listen and learn, and stay humble, earn there trust and there respect.

Thanks john! Appreciate your getting back to me!
I will look into local 716 and their Utilities list!
I appreciate your time!:cool:

LINEHAND
05-28-2008, 08:26 PM
Your looking for IBEW Local 66 (Outside and utility) 713 943 0716

johnbellamy
05-28-2008, 08:47 PM
Your looking for IBEW Local 66 (Outside and utility) 713 943 0716

My bad just punched in IBEW houston, 167 came up. Don't know Texas.

ROPEBLOCK
05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
I Think Centerpoint Energy Is Still Hiring Helpers You Dont Hire On As An App. On A Linecrew Know Matter What Exp.you Have At That Company. RIGHT KNOW IF YOU GO TO LOCAL 66 IT SHOULD BE PRETTY EASY TO GET ON WITH ONE OF THE CONTRACTORS

johnbellamy
05-28-2008, 09:00 PM
My bad just punched in IBEW houston, 167 came up. Don't know Texas.

I'm Dilesexic... and it was early, trick or trout.