PDA

View Full Version : Do I or Don't I

Justin33
06-02-2008, 01:54 PM
So after getting a degree in applied electronics and computer technology and going off doing something totally unrelated for a year I am tempted to maybe get into this, here's the problem. I have some friends that went to a one year certificate for this program but I wouldn't be able to get into it for another year. I also am not totally ok with heights as it wigs me out if I know I can fall. My friend that just graduated is setting poles right now, but I'm sure he will work his way up.

If I decided this route, I would be 27 by the time I am done school. I am at home right now as I left my other job for reasons and am trying to decide if going back to school is a good idea. What would you tell a guy that is a hard worker, but scared of heights and would have to wait a year to even get into a program to learn the basics?????

Justin33
06-02-2008, 03:30 PM
So do any of you have an opinion on this? Should I try to go to the local IBEW, wait a year for school, or just move on?

IronLine
06-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Probably a negative for you there bud. Heights is kinda sorta what we do. Good luck with whatever else ya decide on tho!

Justin33
06-02-2008, 05:22 PM
So if I've always been leery of heights, just say screw it?

Pootnaigle
06-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Well for starters your gonna be 27 If you decide to clean out zoo cages or try to become a lineman. If you dont try YOU will never know if ya had what it takes or not............. No shame in that Most dont. If youre truely interested Try and suck it up And see if you can overcome your fears...... Or not. After all Life is all about overcoming obstacles. So My Vote is endeavor to preservere and see what yer made of. Might find a rewarding and lucrative carrer.

MEGA81
06-02-2008, 06:35 PM
try and ask yourself if you could work 60ft in the air off a pole swaying around, while your suspended by a strap and two little points of steel.

MEGA81
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Well for starters your gonna be 27 If you decide to clean out zoo cages or try to become a lineman. If you dont try YOU will never know if ya had what it takes or not............. No shame in that Most dont. If youre truely interested Try and suck it up And see if you can overcome your fears...... Or not. After all Life is all about overcoming obstacles. So My Vote is endeavor to preservere and see what yer made of. Might find a rewarding and lucrative carrer.

Good post bro, thats pretty solid advice

Festus
06-02-2008, 09:33 PM
I went to a one year certificate program. When I started I was a little leary about climbing. After I was taught the proper technique and learned to trust my gear it got alot easier. After a while it was no diffrent being up at 40' then it was a just climbing to 10'. Give it a try but when you start climbing and feel that you just cant get somewhat comfortable dont waste you time and money. Most climbing classes will have you climbing in the first week or two just in case you do get comfortable and want to drop the class. Good Luck

RadonHuffer
06-02-2008, 10:40 PM
My degree is in electronics engineering, Transistors and microchips and that kind of thing, I started out in line work with a solid math background.

My hobbies also include many years of rockclimbing and Skydiving, Lots of geek stuff too like farnsworth fusors and tesla coils that involve high voltage, Not limited to but including 5 foot streamer arcs in my garage. I have a 40 KV line transformer that I run off my 100 amp main breaker that is not childs play, I also have a couple xray machines that generate high voltage at many amps that I rebuilt to my specs in the garage.

Fear of heights is a short coming that you can overcome, If you cannot overcome that fear you cannot do the job.

As for the high voltage at many amps you really need to understand that a little arc can turn into a huge 5 foot arc if you screw up, Arcs at this kind of energy level create tempertures of about 10,500 degrees really fast, it melts copper, steel and aluminium in a moment.

If your body is in that mix, and if your lucky you are only in a burn unit minus your arms, Maby a foot or two.

Its serious.

I respect anyone that can do the job and cover my back.

I wont work with anyone that cannot do the job or trust.

I have seen a guy moving houses get fryed, It was ugly and he survived.

You never get that smell out of your nose.

pwrhawg
06-03-2008, 01:57 AM
I thought I was afraid of heights when I started in the trade but realized its not that bad once you get up there and start working. Now it doesn't bother me at all.

Justin33
06-03-2008, 03:46 AM
Well I mean seems like I shouldnt try. I'm not all that fond of climbing on a laddder that doesnt feel sturdy. It also seems dumb to go back to school when I could just try to get into an apprentice program.

IronLine
06-03-2008, 10:30 AM
If you have the opportunity to get into an apprenticeship program without going through a school, then definitely do it, as long as you think you will be able to beat your fear of heights, and you aren't walking away from something that you can't go back to. But hell, if you can beat it for 3.5-4 years I've seen some contractors down in FL that do nothing but underground :p

grizzlybuck
06-03-2008, 11:42 AM
I was 29 when I started in the apprenticeship program, I was also "leery" of heights, not really afraid if the structure felt sturdy, and liking the view if it was sturdy.

When you are taught how to climb and begin to feel comfortable in your gear (if you do become comfortable in them) you will realize that while there is only a little bit of steel holding you up, you are on a sturdy structure (most of the time at least :p)

If you like to work outdoors, aren't afraid of hard work, like the idea of your coworkers being your brothers, then give it a shot. If those draws aren't enough to get you past your doubts, then the job isn't for you.

Justin33
06-03-2008, 12:11 PM
Yea I like being a laborer and being outside. I just don't know if the heights thing is something that would go away or not. I'm just really unsure because if I do try the apprentice stuff, how much do they pay as i owe money from my previous degree and need to get out of the house ect. I'm a jock kinda guy and don't wanna troubleshoot stuff my whole life with the degree I have, but I'm not sure if I would be able to do the linesman stuff.

grizzlybuck
06-03-2008, 01:56 PM
As far as conquering a fear of heights, unfortunately, you won't know 'til you try. If you can climb a stable set up ladder to a roof for example, you will probably be alright in your hooks, but climbing is not a natural thing. Most apes, in my experience, wash out because they are afraid to climb.

Another consideration, albeit an unusual one is your walking gait. A buddy of mine from years back tried to become a lineman, he was smart, strong, a good worker and not afraid of heights, but he was pigeon-toed I spoke to the instructor of his first ape class and he said that my buddy tried everything, including speaking orally on each step "toes out" but his habit of having his toes pointed in kept him from being able to get his gaffs properly set in the pole. Walking with a slight toes out gait I think would help you with the placement of your gaffs in the pole.

Around here apes start somewhere around $15 an hour and there is usually a decent amount of overtime available to make some extra cash.

Justin33
06-03-2008, 05:10 PM
I have feet pointed straight. I just don't know, can't say that I know I want to do it for sure since I don't like heights and don't know if it would bother me. I thought they used buckets anyways.

grizzlybuck
06-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Justin, if you are still that concerned about heights, then I say you should probably pass. You are correct about buckets and I believe most electric companies and co-ops have buckets, but just look around, do you see any poles in back yards with no alleys, any pole lines running off the road through woods/forests? If you cannot climb, you cannot be a lineman, you won't be allowed in a bucket until you show you can climb.

A good journeyman will have you playing chase the bucket, if the crew size and the job allows, chase the bucket means you climb, and as the lineman in the bucket works you hit knock on the bucket to let him know you are there, and as the bucket moves to get the lineman to the work, you follow and chase the bucket.

Justin33
06-04-2008, 01:16 PM
I've never tried it so I don't know. I just know being 8 feet up on a unsturdy ladder wasn't always fun. Just trying to decide if its something I could do since I like busting ass and being outside. Making a decent amount of money doesnt hurt either.

Justin33
06-04-2008, 07:07 PM
The fact that I could blow off my limbs with a mistake kind of scares me as well. I watched some random blog guy online that worked for nevada power for a day learn what their job was about. He didn't seem like he could climb very well, but it didn't look that bad minus he was like 6 feet off the ground. I consider myself athletic and like a challenging job busting my ass, I just dont know how I would feel 40 feet up until I did it. Not sure if I should go work at the grocery store and go to my local IBEW and see what happens, or actually go to school for it, which I would have to wait a year for.

Justin33
06-05-2008, 01:10 AM
I think being up there would be a rush, just don't know if it would bother me. I would have to use my buddies stuff and see if it bothers me climbing up stuff.

freshjive
06-05-2008, 06:14 PM
you never know until you try, but most people with doubts going into the job, unfortunatly don't pull it together..You have to be 100% sure of yourself, and trust your equipment..But with that said, having a fear of heights is a big negative considering most of the work we do is either out of a bucket or on hooks...........Good luck to ya whatever you decide.

Justin33
06-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I don't know doesn't seem like people are falling left and right so these hooks must do the job. I just don't see the need to wait a year to go to school for a year certificate like a friend did, when all he is doing is setting poles right now. It would be 2 mor years before I had my certificate. I'm tempted to go to the local IBEW down the street and see what they have to say.

Justin33
06-06-2008, 01:24 AM
I don't know of any contractors around here. I think my buddy that went to school is working for one setting poles. Contractors do that right?, anyways I don't think they are hiring, but maybe I will ask him this weekend and see if he will bring his climbing shit.

EvanSparks
06-23-2008, 05:09 PM
The only way you're gonna know if you're afraid of a 40 ft. pole is to strap on some hooks and get up there. You might feel at ease when you get up there and become exhilerated or you might realize it aint for you. But no matter where you go you have to know how to climb. Whether you think you can or can't do something, either way - you're right. Just give it a try.