PDA

View Full Version : Bonneville Apprentice Program

kd7skx
06-06-2008, 02:24 PM
Hello, i am looking at the Bonneville apprentice substation program. I am currently in the coast guard looking to get out. But I am having a hard time deciding due to the application process. Is there any one who has made it through the process that can explain what goes on, what are they looking for. Just trying to weigh my options at this point, i want to go into this program but if I don't make it through the app process I am out of a job and so is my family. Thanks

milkman
06-06-2008, 09:01 PM
Bonneville power admin. is super hard to break in to. Like you, I was in the Guard. What is your rate? Where do you live, and where are you willing to go to work? This trade does a lot of travelling so be sure you want it. I chose to attend Northwest Lineman College in Idaho, the G.I. Bill paid most of the tuition, and after that I applied to the Cal/Nev J.A.T.C. which is a union apprenticeship....good thing about that is the G.I. Bill pays you money monthly on top of the money you make working. To me this is the best way to becoming a Lineman...Union, IBEW, and a formal apprenticeship, but there are endless routes to choose. Good luck, this is the best job I've ever had, and the money is reeeeaaaaalllly good.

kd7skx
06-06-2008, 09:36 PM
I am an AET, aviation electronic technician, E-5. I am wanting to do the substation program, I am told it has less time on the road since you are assigned a substation to work at. I don't mind moving around, I do that now. I am just ready for a change and this looks like a really good job to get. Thanks

jmorehouse24
06-07-2008, 12:28 PM
I did my lineman apprenticeship at bonneville and topped out about 4 years ago. It is a fairly hard apprenticeship to get into, but the military points will help you. The substation apprenticeship has very little to do with linework. All the substation operators do is open and close breakers and sit on their asses. The substation electricians work in the subs, but they never get to get out and see the country. They don't get payed high time, they do the same routine stuff day in and day out. If you do get hired on with Bonneville, you could be stationed anywhere in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and Western Montana. During your apprenticeship every 2 months you will spend 2 weeks in Vancouver washington for electrical theory classes. This lasts for a little over 2 years. So you will still be on the road a little. It is a 4 year apprenticeship. It is definitely a good career and if you do get into the line apprenticeship you will travel some, but not a lot. Also anytime you travel, the company will put you in a hotel and pay your meals for you. It is usually not more than a week at a time.

wtdoor67
06-07-2008, 12:32 PM
If you can get in Bonneville's sub. app. program, do it. I once worked for the U.S.B.R. ( now it's DOE). I'm familiar with the federal program. Expect to be a part of the IBEW (we had our own local). I worked as a lineman but we had several substation hands in our show up. Expect to be able to settle down and live in one town. A lot of your work will be out on Monday and home on Friday on their time. Stay in motels etc. and Sam will pay your expenses etc. You will like it probably if you have good cohorts to work with. We probably spent about half our time staying out of town but it's not that big a deal as long as your expenses are paid. Your military time will count in some instances. When you get vacation etc. you will get credit for your military service. If you have 3 yrs. or more in the military then you will get 4 wks vacation to start with. Not bad. Also sick leave, at least when I was there. Don't think it has changed. You can find all this out when you talk to them. I think the application process has changed since I was there but I'm sure the rest of it is pretty much as I discribed. Contact the IBEW local where you are thinking of going to work and ask them for a copy of the contract for your work group. It will explain a lot of things for you.

Festus
06-07-2008, 07:12 PM
I have been thinking about applying to the Bonneville apprenticeship too. I am in the guard also. I noticed they only open their apprenticeships up once a year in October. Then its about a 6 month process before you find out if your hired or not. Government jobs are the way to go if you can get them. I am currently a state employee and since bonneville is represented by the ibew that just makes it better. Good luck to you and maybe we'll meet ya down the road somewhere.

wtdoor67
06-08-2008, 08:35 AM
The only question I ever had for those Coast Guard people was why are you all so tall? They explained that you had to be at least 6' 4". I said why? The answer was so they could wade ashore when their ships sank. Seemed plausible to me.

jmorehouse24. Did they give you any distribution training in your Bonneville apprenticeship? I knew one guy at USBR who had went through an apprenticeship there and he had no distribution knowledge. Kinda leaves an incomplete lineman in my opinion.

PA BEN
06-08-2008, 06:59 PM
I am an AET, aviation electronic technician, E-5. I am wanting to do the substation program, I am told it has less time on the road since you are assigned a substation to work at. I don't mind moving around, I do that now. I am just ready for a change and this looks like a really good job to get. Thanks
Stay in and get your 20. You can't beat the extra retirement. Plus Medical benny's when you get out. You can cross over to Lineman in the Military. Get your training top out in the Military. After your 20 is up, retire from the Military and challenge the Union IBEW Journeyman test at the Local hall and go to work. If you went in when you were 18, you well get out at 38 years old.;)

wtdoor67
06-09-2008, 10:37 AM
The only military that has anything resembling an electrical lineman is the Air Force.

An Aviation ET has very little in common with an Electrical Lineman.

I would get out. Maybe stay in the reserves and try and go to work for a utility or something and get into their apprentice program. Most companies will let you double dip during your 2 wks. summer camp ever year and most will at least supplement your pay while you're on Active Duty.

kd7skx
06-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the advice every one. I am still mulling over to stay in or get out. I am not wanting to go line man but do the substation or system electrician program. Thanks again.

PA BEN
06-09-2008, 08:21 PM
The only military that has anything resembling an electrical lineman is the Air Force.

An Aviation ET has very little in common with an Electrical Lineman.

I would get out. Maybe stay in the reserves and try and go to work for a utility or something and get into their apprentice program. Most companies will let you double dip during your 2 wks. summer camp ever year and most will at least supplement your pay while you're on Active Duty.
The Navy SeaBees have lineman. My old pole partner was a lineman in the air force, he got out, took the IBEW Journeyman test and went to work. I must say his extra money from his retirement and he medical bennys made me think I should have stayed in when I was in.:rolleyes:

wtdoor67
06-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Benny, I know where of I speak when it comes to military "linemen". The air force ones are the only ones I have seen that could pass them selves off as perhaps a distribution hand.

Spent quite awhile as a reserve Seabee CE. That's the CB's version of a "lineman." The CB's try to cover to much territory. As a CE (construction electrician), you're supposed to be an electrician, a telephone man and an electrical lineman. Never saw any that were masters of it all. Never saw one that I would deem a lineman. On a reserve gig once in Calif. I went up to a reg. Nav. CE1 (E6) once who was trying to instruct a kid in climbing a pole. I said. Guys I do this for a living and attempted to give him a few pointers as this kid was trying to climb a pole. I was a 2nd class and the instructor was a 1st class. He ignored me and I went away and watched them struggle.

If any of you macho chaps would like to volunteer for Uncle Sammy's reserve Navy CB's then bop on down to your local Navy reserve component. If you're a Journeyman in any building trade, and no more than 40 yrs old then you qualify. Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician, Lineman etc. They'll enlist you and give you the uniforms etc. and you don't even have to go to basic. Just show up for drill and voila, you're in. Any takers? I didn't think so. Depending on experience you will be put in as an E4,E5,or E6. Advanced paygrade they call it. Got an engineering degree? Then you can be an officer. Don't everybody go at once.

PA BEN
06-09-2008, 10:27 PM
wtdoor67, sounds like you know what your talking about. I was in NMCB-5, went in in 78 for a 3 by 6 hitch. After "A" school, (equipment operator) went to Diego Garcia. I remember seeing lineman doing there thing while I was in.:rolleyes:

Special ED
06-09-2008, 10:27 PM
I missed the climbing belt tool pouches for the AR-15 in my Far West catalog. What page they on Danny? lol

wtdoor67
06-10-2008, 08:51 AM
Yeah Benny. I was a fleet type my first time around. For Coasties that's the big ships etc. that operate out past the breakwater.

I worked with a couple of guys who were ex Air Force linemen. They knew their distribution stuff very well but didn't have any transmission background.

The Navy CB's I encountered on 2 Wk AT's were somewhat good at narrow back stuff but didn't seem to know squat about linework. Seems like all the bases they were stationed at had civilians who took care of the distribution on base. I remember talking to one kid. He was actually a 2nd Class and the most advanced thing he'd gotten to do was while he was stationed in Italy. Said the Italian Civilians who ran the distribution stuff on base let him replace a fuse one time with an extendo. That was it.

The reg. Nav. types I ran into were all good at military stuff. They could strip an M 16 with the best of them and put on that MOP gear in a heartbeat but really their building techniques were pretty bad I thought. All our reserve guys were building trades people and had already forgotten more than the Chiefs and 1st Class regulars knew about building.

I was actually in a unit once as a reservist that was an augment unit to NMCB 5 for about a year or 2.

When you go down to enlist as a reservist Benny don't go in as a CE. Go back as an EO like you were originally. They have much better advancement etc. as EO's.

With your prior time etc. if you're no older than 46 I expect they'd take you. Supposed to be able to do 20 by age 60. You might get an expense paid trip to Iraq. I managed to get a retirement from them and spent about 14 years as a reservist. Only made it to 2nd Class. Not to many slots for CE's.

Do you want me to call the recruiter and set up an appointment? Ha!

PA BEN
06-10-2008, 11:19 AM
When you go down to enlist as a reservist Benny don't go in as a CE. Go back as an EO like you were originally. They have much better advancement etc. as EO's.

With your prior time etc. if you're no older than 46 I expect they'd take you. Supposed to be able to do 20 by age 60. You might get an expense paid trip to Iraq. I managed to get a retirement from them and spent about 14 years as a reservist. Only made it to 2nd Class. Not to many slots for CE's.

Do you want me to call the recruiter and set up an appointment? Ha!
You are one funny dud:D I like my USS BACKYARD more then to leave for an adventure. I can see why you get along with swamp so well. One funny dud:D