PDA

View Full Version : June is National Safety Month

CPOPE
06-07-2008, 09:13 PM
Workplace Safety Week - June 4-10

There were 3.8 million disabling workplace injuries in 1998.
Motor vehicle crashes account for around 20 percent of workplace related fatalities.
Workplace injuries cost society $125.1 billion in 1998 - that's equivalent to nearly triple the combined profits reported by the top 5 fortune 500 companies.
Everyone can contribute to making the workplace safe.
At work there is a fatal injury every 103 minutes and a disabling injury every 8 seconds.

Home Safety Week - June 11-17

In 1998, 28,200 people were killed by unintentional home injuries, preliminary Council estimates for 1999 indicate that the number has risen 9% to 30,800.
In 1998, 6,800,000 people suffered an unintentional home injury.
One person in 39 in the United States was disabled one full day or more by unintentional injuries received in the home.
Disabling injuries are more numerous in the home than in the workplace and in motor vehicle crashes combined.
The leading causes of home deaths as the result of injury are falls and poisonings - and these numbers continue to rise.
Almost 32% of home drowning victims were children four years of age or younger.
Smoke inhalation accounts for the majority of deaths in home fires.

Community Safety Awareness Week - June 18-24

Every year, one out of four people sustains injuries serious enough to require medical attention.
Injuries are the leading cause of death for children age 1 and older.
Immediate first aid may mean the difference between life and death, so everyone should be trained in first aid and CPR.
Most sudden illnesses and injuries require no more medical attention than proper first aid care.
Wearing the proper safety equipment, including helmets, can prevent many sport-related injuries and deaths.
There were an estimated 5,900 pedestrian deaths in 1998 and 84,000 injuries. In close to 30% of these deaths and injuries pedestrians crossed or entered the roadway between intersections.

Driving Safety Week - June 25 - July 4

Motor vehicle fatalities are the leading cause of death for people ages 1 to 29.
Motor vehicle crashes caused 41,200 deaths in 1998 alone.
The safest seat for children under age 12 is properly restrained in the back seat, especially in vehicles with air bags.
Wearing your lap/shoulder safety belt reduces your risk of fatal injury by 45%.
About three in every ten Americans will be involved in an alcohol-related traffic crash at some time in their lives.

Meat
06-07-2008, 11:56 PM
I once made my wife sick with a nasty "Dutch Oven" which proves you're not safe anywhere.Meat.

CPOPE
06-08-2008, 02:11 AM
I once made my wife sick with a nasty "Dutch Oven" which proves you're not safe anywhere.Meat.

I love it. When she puked did she try to puke on you? Mine would have projectile vomitted in my face if I gave her a dutch oven. I have made her gag a few times. Liwinski.:D

seriously be careful out on the lines. We started June with three dead in three days. That is enough to make me puke.

http://www.swtimes.com/articles/2008...ews/news01.txt
Two Injured Utility Workers On Mend One Dead in Arkansas
Wednesday, June 4, 2008 10:13 AM
Two Ozark utility crew workers are recovering in a Little Rock hospital from severe injuries they suffered alongside a co-worker who was electrocuted Monday.
Daniel Scott Stover of Ozark died Monday when he and four fellow utility crew members attempted to repair a downed power line on Wiggins Road in Paris, according to Steve King, the owner of the Ozark-based C&N Electric, 106 Second St.

http://blog.mlive.com/grpress/2008/06/utility_worker_killed_in_north.html
Utility worker killed in northern Michigan
June 03, 2008 04:56AM
A utility worker was killed Monday while working on power lines in Kalkaska County.
Police responded at 11:37 a.m. to reports of a worker in a bucket truck who was injured while working on overhead power lines.
Co-workers of Steven Walker, 47, of Millersburg, administered first aid until rescue crews arrived. Walker was transported to Kalkaska Memorial Health Center, where he died. He worked for Indian River-based Campbell Electric

http://www.kxxv.com/Global/story.asp?S=8414562
Local Utility Worker Killed Cottonwood Texas
Posted: June 2, 2008 08:12 PM EDT
A Pike utility crew worker lost his life today after becoming tangled with a live wire five miles East of the West city limits.
According to a West police officer, a Pike crew was trying to replace a utility pole when that pole got caught in wires.
Justice of the Peace David Pareya pronounced 34-year-old Bobby Clifyon Hightower of Whitney dead at the scene. An autopsy has been ordered.

:eek:

dogman
06-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Jason Tiger a 2nd year app. was killed June 5th. He was working in a junction box in NE Oklahoma. That is all I know about it.