PDA

View Full Version : Noob...

Plutopowered
07-03-2008, 10:18 PM
What's goin' on?

I start pole climbing school on Monday... (my friends laugh when I tell them I'm going to 'pole' climbing school...)

Looking forward to a possible career as a Lineman!

Just curious, do most lineman have an interest in electronics or similar before entering into this field?

BigClive
07-04-2008, 05:30 AM
Well they may laugh at you climbing poles, but at least you're going to be contributing to society. What do they do?

There ARE a few linemen (and narrowbacks) on this list that are quite heavily into electronics, but the majority of linemen are more likely to be into fishing or stuff like that.

Plutopowered
07-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Well they may laugh at you climbing poles, but at least you're going to be contributing to society. What do they do?

There ARE a few linemen (and narrowbacks) on this list that are quite heavily into electronics, but the majority of linemen are more likely to be into fishing or stuff like that.

That was one of my worries. I never really considered a job in electronics but I enjoy working outside in the elements and getting out of the office atmosphere.

Luckily, I've gotten used to heights at my current warehousing job. I drive a turret truck and retrieve pallets that can be stored up to 40 feet in the air. Dealing with heights just seems to be an acquired skill. Once one gets used to it, it's not bad at all.

I also like the activity of the job. I've been an athlete for most of my life and look forward to being physically active on the job. That's so much more fun than dealing with customers at a desk all day!

Things that worry me:

How complicated is the job to learn? I don't want to screw up and kill myself or someone else... Although, it seems like it's a dangerous job but it sounds like stupidity harms most people. I also look at it as "If someone else can do it, I can do it as well...".

Falling off the pole? How often does this happen?

Any long term physical effects from the work? Bad knees? Feet?

Plus:

Any opinions about First Energy or IBEW?

BigClive
07-04-2008, 03:26 PM
How complicated is the job to learn? I don't want to screw up and kill myself or someone else... Although, it seems like it's a dangerous job but it sounds like stupidity harms most people. I also look at it as "If someone else can do it, I can do it as well...".

Falling off the pole? How often does this happen?

Any long term physical effects from the work? Bad knees? Feet?

It's as complicated as you make it. On the whole linework is more mechanical then electrical. there seems to be a broad mix of electrical ability in the industry.

Falls happen, but humans have a natural instinct that tends to make them latch to poles like monkeys when things go wrong. Read the other recent threads about bucksqueeze type devices that are becoming more popular. They are basically fall arrest devices that loop round the pole and tighten around it if you fall.

Long term physical effect will affect how much time you spend actually climbing poles versus bucket work. The old timers do seem to have a lot of knee issues.

The most significant long term physical effect is death or getting limbs blown off if you slip up with high voltage. keep reading to realise that it's not that rare in America given how much work is done live.

MEGA81
07-04-2008, 04:27 PM
I went to a climbing school before being accepted into the IBEW apprenticeship. It is the best training I am aware of. The union has been great. My grandfather was IBEW and I am proud to be a part of it. Look into the benefits and retirement along with higher pay and better working conditions and you will see it isn't a hard decision.

Take your time out there in the field. This work takes a lifetime to master. My biggest problem has been working to fast and getting ahead of myself. It is something I do naturally so I have to slow down a little. Try and use as much common sense as possible. If you are shown something once, try your best to remember it. It is almost impossible to remember all the things you are shown, but over time it will become easier. I asked my lineman the other day if he ever felt like he had a day were nothing went right. He said he used to but then he grew out of it. Come to work, ready to work, on time, every time. Take it in stride when you get cussed out, and one day you will look back on it and laugh. Best of luck, remember safety is no joke. Be careful out there.

Hey old timers! How about some apprentice stories from when you guys were ape's!