PDA

View Full Version : Apprentice with Florida Power & Light

brittrich
07-12-2008, 09:59 AM
I'm an apprentice with FP&L, soon to finish and top out (Sept/Oct '08)

Our training is a combination of school instruction and field work at a service center. The training is excellent, and although I know I'll still have tons more to learn after becoming a journeyman, I feel really prepared and am very confident that I'll be able to perform my job competently and safely, overhead and underground (URD)

Working in South Florida, (Miami) is exciting, challenging and rewarding. We have a very diverse culture here; linemen from Cuba, Jamaica, Canada, Caucasions and African Americans, just to name a few.

Thanks to our infamous summer lightning storms and the ever popular hurricane season, I believe out work and work practices are top notch.

So, that's my two cents in a nutshell about working with FP&L. An outstanding company, and I'm proud to be a part of the work force that's providing certainty in delivery to customers all throughout the Sunshine State!

-- Rich

(This post is in response to someone who was asking about the apprenticeship here at Florida Power & Light)

Doggboi
07-12-2008, 11:22 PM
brit , I gotta tell ya.. you are the first person I have ever seen that had something good to say about FP&L. I grew up about 4 hours north of you on I-95 and much like the southern company , I had numerous apps in with them but never heard a thing. No Call no contact. As a customers opinion, it never felt like anyone was close enough. Minimum outages were 4 hours.

Glad you found something you love, and that you are happy where you are.

Good luck to you, stay safe, and hope you dodge those 'canes ( and not the U of M cheerleader variety )

LIGHTSOUT
07-24-2008, 11:15 PM
THAT RESPONSE ABOUT BEING AN APRENTICE AT FP& L IS A BIT RICH, PUT YOUR HI BOOTS ON. THE TRUTH COULD BE VERY DIFFERENT FROM THE PICTURE THIS PERSON IS PAINTING. Beware!!

brittrich
08-06-2008, 07:30 PM
uhhhh.....dont know what it is exactly that you're trying to say there LIGHTSOUT.

Anyway, 2 more months to go...........

Special ED
08-06-2008, 11:46 PM
Sounds like a sales pitch for suckerin apes and lineman to come to Little Havana.

My advice.... Dont do it unless your just that desperate.

climbsomemore
08-07-2008, 02:33 PM
I was in the Delray and WPB districts pre Broadhead era.

Happy to see a little of the pride is back. About the only truth ever told to me by a manager was from old Ray Collins.

Ray used to be apprentice manager... "if you train here at FPL and leave you will only be without a job if you want to be. Our guys can work anywhere"

I drug up during the roll-backs in the early 90's... and have worked where and when I wanted to ever since. Other than a couple of truly lost souls... the dumbest guy I ever worked with in Delray could work rings around 85% of the Linehands I've encountered since.

~J

49pan
08-09-2008, 03:05 PM
S ED you said it, that's one of the reasons I left FPL and Florida. I can't stand the thought of them taking over our state, let alone our COUNTRY. It's bad when when they call the dispatcher for something simple and have to repete themselves because they are not understood. God forbid there is a emergency. Rumor has it FPL is doing away with the training facility and moving the AP program back to the yards. Don't know how they plan on getting new Ap's. As far as I am concerned the program was a bit weak anyway, to easy for someone to skate through. I always said the ap's needed a lot more field time and let the journeyman and foreman decide if they are lineman material, if not wash them out. That's the way it is where I work now and it works quite well. My advice find another program and put all you have in to it.

brittrich
08-31-2008, 07:49 PM
Climbsomemore, you said it best my friend.

If you train at FPL, you'll be out of a job only because you want to. Our guys can work ANYWHERE! We do it all baby!!

No utility's perfect. Heck, no company that ever was or ever will be is perfect. But, the training here is top notch. 'Nuff said.

Climb on...

49pan
09-06-2008, 09:59 PM
As Rich says you will be out of a job only if you want to be. What's that tell ya. They will keep whatever or who ever they get, because they are short handed. You have no idea how many cable tv (lineman ) I had to work with because they were able to BS their way through the new hire test, thanks to friends. Nuff said.

Big D
09-16-2008, 07:18 AM
FPL is definitely NOT getting rid of their APP program. They are geting ready to upgrade their facilities and open a few more around the state of Florida.

There does seem to be a problem and justifiable concern over the utility hiring foreigners from headhunters. The workers will make $20/hr and the head hunter gets $2/hr for evry hour worked. You know what that does to the home grown American? Puts them out on the street!

When will this ever stop!?!:mad: