PDA

View Full Version : Field Evaluation; Lakeland Electric

HieroPosche
07-14-2008, 08:02 PM
So, I've applied, taken the written test (passed) and am moving on to the field evaluation for a lineman apprentice position with Lakeland Electric in central FL.

I think I pretty much know what they will be looking for at the evaluation, that I can climb, not crap myself at the top, lift a bit while I'm up there, not weep like a school girl on the way down, things of that nature.

Question I have is, am I going to get surprised by anything they may be wanting to evaluate? I plan on working out for the next couple weeks to try and make sure I'm in a little better shape, but is there anything else I should be trying to prepare for? Knots, knowledge of gear for the job, basic electrical?

Any advice would be great.

Great site, there's a ton of info here. You can be sure I'll be a regular here if I get the apprenticeship, I'm pretty sure it will help :)

freshjive
07-14-2008, 10:07 PM
**Learn how to tie knots brotha..Since I was cluesless when I started, I figured that we wouldn't use em' much, boy was I wrong...Just learn the use most) I became so obsessed with learning how to tie them, I learned to tie them behind my back with gloves on.................Learn how to tie the handlines back up (THE RIGHT WAY)

**Just try and become familiar with some tools and their slang names, so when you're on the ground and your guy in the bucket asks you for something, you're not standing there like a deer in headlights....

**Also try to learn the wire sizes, I found that helps a lot too, so you know exactly what to get when asked or when you need it........

Gotta crawl before you walk i guess...These simple steps will save you alot of frustration and aggrivation.......GOOD LUCK.............

BTW IS LAKELAND ELECTRIC A MUNICIPALITY???

HieroPosche
07-15-2008, 11:46 AM
Any knots in particular I should be learning?

And Lakeland electric is the provider for the City of Lakeland in Polk County.

Doggboi
07-15-2008, 06:21 PM
My dad actually lives in Lakeland.. Good luck!

The Bowline is a good std knot to know, and if you can pull off a running bowline and a bowline on a bight thats good, Clove and Timber Hitch as well as a square knot.

I dunno what your skills are, or what Lakeland is looking for specifically. I know when I did my skills test for the IOU I am with , the only climbing involved was on a ladder. Every co is a bit different though. Nothing anyone with half a brain and a lil bit of gumption couldnt handle though.