PDA

View Full Version : Interview

Hemingray Insulators
08-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Hey Y'all,
though you might like to know i have an interview with Mountain states Line constructors JATC on Aug 28th........i'm definately excited bout that.:) now i just gotta figure out how i'm gettin there haha.

Orgnizdlbr
08-11-2008, 09:02 PM
Good luck Hemi, I'm sure you'll do just fine!

Hemingray Insulators
08-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Thanks Labor, and BTW it is in Helena Montana.

WCLR
08-12-2008, 12:01 AM
This could be your only shot, you never know. Better get your ass out there!

Hemingray Insulators
08-12-2008, 05:30 PM
I do have a question though, what should i weaar for my interview?

Orgnizdlbr
08-12-2008, 05:40 PM
A jacket and tie.

damn_encode
08-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Check your PM Brian.

BigClive
08-13-2008, 06:27 AM
A jacket and tie.

I've never understood that part, since it's the ONLY time with the company you'll wear one unless you move into the offices. Then again, you're being interviewed by a suit, so their technical aptitude will probably run to "how does his suit fit."

IronLine
08-13-2008, 08:01 AM
Nah BC, normally the interviews conducted by the Union JATCs are done by Lineman. A Union JATC apprenticeship is one of the few lineman jobs you can interview for where you are actually being interviewed by real honest to goodness linemen, and not just some suit from the office who got their 2 year associates degree in human resources. Its a combination of Union officers, program directors, and contractor members.
I was told a more casual appearance would make a better impression, but I have not done an interview with them so I'm not gonna say nuttin'. But I will say good luck man!! Mountain States would be an awesome opportunity, its a beautiful part of the country!

MEGA81
08-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Im a SELCAT ape, and at my interview a few guys decided to go the "dressed to the nines" route. Suit, tie, shiny shoes,etc. The JATC pretty much laughed them out of the hall. I got hired they day of my interview. Was it because of what I wore? No, but it didnt hurt that I had on a long sleeve CLEAN! button up shirt, TUCKED IN, and CLEAN jeans THAT ACTUALLY FIT. My boots were a little dirty, but I aint buying new boots. Firm handshake, look them in the eye, address them as a group, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT acting cocky, be as humble as you can. From what I have read you know WAY more than your average guy off the street. But dont tell them every thing you know about linework. Old school hands will think you are a know it all. Be humble and eager to go to work. When they ask if you have any questions, say yeah, how soon can I start!
Best of luck, Brian

wtdoor67
08-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Im a SELCAT ape, and at my interview a few guys decided to go the "dressed to the nines" route. Suit, tie, shiny shoes,etc. The JATC pretty much laughed them out of the hall. I got hired they day of my interview. Was it because of what I wore? No, but it didnt hurt that I had on a long sleeve CLEAN! button up shirt, TUCKED IN, and CLEAN jeans THAT ACTUALLY FIT. My boots were a little dirty, but I aint buying new boots. Firm handshake, look them in the eye, address them as a group, DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT acting cocky, be as humble as you can. From what I have read you know WAY more than your average guy off the street. But dont tell them every thing you know about linework. Old school hands will think you are a know it all. Be humble and eager to go to work. When they ask if you have any questions, say yeah, how soon can I start!
Best of luck, Brian

This is very good advice Brian, but I think a tux would go good.

IronLine
08-13-2008, 09:18 PM
If you're gonna do it, do it right, I'm talkin' powder blue with tails, hat and a cane. C'mon kid, we believe in you! (If you could pull that shit off....)

Orgnizdlbr
08-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Best of luck, Brian

I was at the hall while interviews were in progress, the prospects who showed up in jackets and ties made good impressions on the committee. Of course the first impression only goes so far, so much of your advise is good. By no means were the guys who showed up in ties and jackets laughed out of the hall. But maybe there are different acceptable dress for different parts of the country. Maybe Montana is much more casual than my part of the country.

IN THE SHADOWS
08-14-2008, 11:04 AM
I do have a question though, what should i weaar for my interview?

I guarentee you a jacket and tie will not impress anyone on a JATC interview committee out west. Having sat on these committees for years and interviewed hundreds of applicants.... what made an applicant stand out for me was;

Their knowledge of what linework actually was, not necessarily how to do it but what it was.

Their sincereity and desire and only goal ....to be a Journeyman Lineman. ( NOT aspiring to do something else immediately after you top out)

Not afraid of and have worked at heights

Understanding that your not sitten next to a warm fire during ice storms

Willing to move anywhere anytime and most likely several times to reach your goal.

These are a few of the attributes we looked for...not all but important ones.

How you dress is not as important as what you have to say and how you say it......clean work/casual clothes good idea....however jacket and tie will not start you off on the right foot when you walk in the door in this part of the country. Best of luck to you Hemi:)

LINEHAND
08-14-2008, 01:33 PM
IMHO Suit and tie in this part of the country is overboard. We aint quite caught up to them there yanks LOL. I nice button down dress shirt slacks or nice jeans is more than sufficient! And the rest of what Mega said is sound advice! GOOD LUCK!

Pootnaigle
08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
No Matter what you wear yer gonna be light years ahead of your class. It would be a good idea to handle that with a degree of humility. If you are too smart they will resent ya.Always let em think they can compete wif ya .And I would tell the board that linework has been your dream since youth and maybe show em a few pictures that can back that up. I know you have plenty.

Hemingray Insulators
08-14-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks for all the great advice guys, definately a lot of good info and advice being said here.

i was kinda thinkin of goin the route of nice pair of black blue jeans, my APPA linemans rodeo, indianapolis long sleeve shirt tucked in and shined up wesco's, before i even asked the question but i was being hounded by my family to get all dressed up soooo thanks for all the advice and if anyone has any other advice i'm still open to hearing it,
Thanks a ton,
Brian

wtdoor67
08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Clean work clothes and a clean pair of tennis shoes will do just fine. And a clean body with deodorant. Ha.

markwho
08-15-2008, 06:02 PM
Hemingray, Good luck! You should do fine. The guys gave you plenty of good advice.

Mark

Hemingray Insulators
08-15-2008, 09:49 PM
looks as if i am going to ohio on wednesday to take a test for AEP/ interview, they called earlier today soo i guess i now have 2 interviews within about a weeks time lol.

Hemingray Insulators
08-21-2008, 05:16 PM
well, went to Kenton, OH to meet with AEP, took the CAST Test and passed that of the 8 of us to take the test onl 2 of us passed one of them being me. then they took the 2 of us to the pole yard to meet the forman/supervisor and crew for a Physical test, carrying 2 canvas buckets full of 100lbs of rock on a digging bar, hoisting a crossarm up the handline and back down, squezzing on a parallel grove tap on i think was #4 if i remeber right, and then takein down a crossarm and laying on your belt and putting it back on, which i am quite sure i did very well at the physical test, of which i'm sposed to get a call around the 8th and 9th of sept to go back and go out with the crews for 2 days and be evaluated on my work and stuff. lol. but i did have a great time yesterday there and it is definately a place i would consider working at.

Orgnizdlbr
08-21-2008, 06:25 PM
I'm sure you did excellent on your physicsl test. Good luck Brian, you'll make a great Lineman.

Edge
08-21-2008, 11:33 PM
fu{ck the git 'er done motto young man....

MAME AND DESTROY.... seems more your thang..... well done and remember all us old farts will help you any time ....

but you gotta ask us for help we aint gonna beat your door down and give it to ya...

(well 'cept for maybe Swamp but he's kinda funky like that)

Edge

made it through another day with out burning shit up... guess I need to fire up the chain saw and have some fun

wtdoor67
08-22-2008, 08:00 PM
I think go into the interview with your belt and hooks on with a big chew in your cheek and a handline hung over your shoulder. Then after spitting on the floor ask. "Alright where's this mountain lion I gotta screw?" That's bound to impress.

CPOPE
08-24-2008, 05:56 AM
Brian they are lucky to have you! Knock em dead in the interview. Best advice is to B Urself.

Job Interview Tips

Practice
Practice answering interview questions and practice your responses to the typical job interview questions and answers most employers ask. Think of actual examples you can use to describe your skills. Providing evidence of your successes is a great way to promote your candidacy.

Prepare
Prepare a response so you are ready for the question "What do you know about our company. Know the interviewer's name and use it during the job interview. If you're not sure of the name, call and ask prior to the interview. Try to relate what you know about the company when answering questions.

Get Ready
Make sure your interview attire is neat, tidy and appropriate for the type of firm you are interviewing with. Bring a nice portfolio with copies of your resume. Include a pen and paper for note taking.

Be On time
Be on time for the interview. On time means five to ten minutes early. If need be, take some time to drive to the office ahead of time so you know exactly where you are going and how long it will take to get there.

Stay Calm
During the job interview try to relax and stay as calm possible. Take a moment to regroup. Maintain eye contact with the interviewer. Listen to the entire question before you answer and pay attention - you will be embarrassed if you forget the question!

Show What Your Know
Try to relate what you know about the company when answering questions. When discussing your career accomplishments match them to what the company is looking for.

Follow Up
Always follow-up with a thank you note reiterating your interest in the position. If you interview with multiple people send each one a thank you note

returntotheeve
08-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Make sure they know how motivated you are. Anyone(almost/me) can do linework. It's real hard to teach good attitude. Bring yours and let it show. Nothing worse than a bright kid with shit attitude and there's nothing more heartbreaking than watching a guy break his ass to understand his theory but struggles with the books. Wear what you'd wear to meet your girl's folks. No KORN shirts. Take out your nose/brow piercings.(seen it personally) I'd also consider interviewing as much as you'd like. Shop yourself around. You impress me as being the type of worker that these places are dying for. Your attitude will carry you and you will be fine.

NoPotential
08-31-2008, 11:40 AM
well whats the word? how did it go?

Hemingray Insulators
08-31-2008, 11:58 AM
I think the interview went pretty good, seemed to go very well, and i am supposed to call back in 2 weeks to find out where at on the list i am. i definately had an awesome trip on the way out there, when i get some more time i'll have to post some of the pics i took.

Hemingray Insulators
09-08-2008, 09:34 PM
well, went to the preassesment in Lima, OH for climbing and hanging an arm and such, i think i did pretty well at that, i passed all the tests, and i may be haveing an interview here in 9 or 10 days for a job with aep. sposed to call back the hall in montana on thurs to see where i'm at on the list for my interview there so i'lll be sure to keep you all posted.:D

Squizzy
09-09-2008, 08:59 AM
If anyone is going to get the job Hemingray it will be you. I am sure you will be fine...

wtdoor67
09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
If you weren't cocky I expect you will get offers from both places. In Montana I expect, unless someone brother-in-laws you.

AEP also but maybe they would be a good place to learn the trade except I think they are a bunch of Gestapos. However you can drag them when you get your Journeyman ticket. Heh, heh.

Hemingray Insulators
09-11-2008, 09:56 PM
looks as if i will be moveing to wyoming, i called today to find out how well my interview went and they told me i was at the top of the list and that i could pic between Gillette, Wy or somewhere in north dakota, i think ima gonna take the job in wyoming, but i gotta be at the show up by this coming tuesday. so we will see how it goes lol.

NoPotential
09-12-2008, 12:15 AM
very nice , congrats there were 500 guys on the to be called list before you had your interview,they must have liked you. the call you have is all oilfield and overhead. its a great opp for you dont f##k it up. welcome to mountain states jatc. pm me when you know where ur going to school i might be able to help you out.

Hemingray Insulators
09-12-2008, 01:05 AM
very nice , congrats there were 500 guys on the to be called list before you had your interview,they must have liked you. the call you have is all oilfield and overhead. its a great opp for you dont f##k it up. welcome to mountain states jatc. pm me when you know where ur going to school i might be able to help you out.

thanks man, wow 500ppl eh. lol. well i havent quite accepeted the job yet, im sposed to call back tomorrow b4 9, cuz i wanted a little bit of time to think it over but i am thinkin i am definately gonna take it. i'll let you all know what happens but i'm 99.9% sure im gonna take that job lol, so mabey i'll see ya one day soon
:D

Hemingray Insulators
09-12-2008, 02:31 PM
I leave for Gillette sunday morning, and have to show up at casper wy tues morn at local 322 to sign my apprenticeship papers i think. then after that i gotta head to gillette and meet some guy at a place called Camp Outback so looks like i will be out there real soon. am in the process of packing all my things right now...........

NoPotential
09-12-2008, 10:01 PM
glad to here it my man. you made the right choice even if later on you deside not to stay union and take a utility job somewhere, the training you get through a jatc cant be beat. sharpen the hooks ya aint in the back yard no more!

swetngblts
09-13-2008, 02:21 PM
That's quite an achievement to score at the top and get right in.

wtdoor67
09-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Take your long handle insulated underwear. Big boom going on there at the present. Take plenty of cash and work all the ot you can. Might think about a camper at some point.

Worked at Douglas about 90 miles south of Gillette for a few years. If you're a hunter take your rifle and try those Pronghorns.

It's out on the prairies of course. Plenty of wind. Have fun and good luck.

BigClive
09-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Sounds like it's going to be a most excellent adventure. Also sounds like there are going to be some outstanding views from the poles.

Knuckle in and have fun.

Hemingray Insulators
09-17-2008, 12:52 AM
well, i'm all moved out here now, for now i'm stayin in a hotel for a little while but i'm lookin at getting a 5th wheel or somethin like that and livein at the job site like many of the other guys workin there. this job i was assigned to has a little of everything, substation, underground, hi line h structures, you name it we've got it lol. pretty close to the oilfields in wyoming, bout 32 miles from town. so far i'm likein it, i start work tomorow, i think the GF told me i'd start at one of the substations that short a man and then get some underground cable plowing experience. and the GF is a really nice guy and says that all his formen are pretty nice too, so i'm lookin forward to my first day here lol. i'll have to let you all know how it all goes, but it looks like this job is probably gona last another year or year and a half.

BigClive
09-17-2008, 06:08 AM
Sounds good. Enjoy the experience and don't let the less enjoyable moments put you off. Also take care of your back from day one. Lifting with your legs may sound a bit old and cliched, but it only takes one serious "back event" and it'll never be the same again. (I damaged mine while I was an apprentice)

As both Swampy and myself mentioned earlier.... It's time to start taking those old pictures and videos of your backyard line down and replace them with REAL work pictures and videos. By all means keep the old ones for your personal files, but they're better out of reach of your new co-workers.......

And we DO want to see pictures of your new job. :)

2WDKING
09-17-2008, 04:22 PM
Does Anybody Know If The Mo Valley Iowa Guys Interview The Same Way?

Pootnaigle
09-17-2008, 09:32 PM
You kin lurn alot inna year er year anna half. Try werkin wif lottsa different guys. Each one of em kin lurn ya a differnt method fer doin sumpin. Some of em will lurn ya how you dont wanna ever try n do sumpin jus by watchin the bind they get theyselfs in LOL.Enyways ya pick out whut werks BEST for YOU n kinda stick wif it till ya find a more better way. N Never ever stop lurnin, The more you know the easier this job is to do and the easier prollems kin be solved.