PDA

View Full Version : IBEW or First Energy?

Plutopowered
08-14-2008, 02:54 PM
Can anyone tell me about what might be a better path to linework?

I attempted Lineman School @ F.E but having to work 3rd shift and go to climbing school during the day was impossible (getting about 1 hr of sleep per night).

I ended up being late on the 3rd or 4th day and I was forced to drop out. I'm enrolled for next year (and I'll take vaca for 2 weeks to complete the class - I didn't have vaca this year to use).

IBEW is taking apps in October and I'm going to check it out.

cololinehand
08-16-2008, 12:04 AM
Pluto, I went IBEW when I got out of the Navy and am glad I did. Put in your app and when you get in apply yourself fully. That way you don't have to worry about "school." You'll be earning as you're learning.

Good luck and be safe.

Plutopowered
08-17-2008, 12:26 AM
Pluto, I went IBEW when I got out of the Navy and am glad I did. Put in your app and when you get in apply yourself fully. That way you don't have to worry about "school." You'll be earning as you're learning.

Good luck and be safe.

Thanks. I've heard a lot of good things about the IBEW and I'm supposed to apply in October. They won't really tell me a lot about the program as they say that I'll learn more at that time.

Apparently, it's a five year 'school' (not sure what that means exactly) but if I can work and earn money on the job, that would be great.

One thing about FE, I'm in my 30's and I'm not some kid out of school that can just pop back into school again and make a living. I've got responsibilities. It's hard making a transition from one career to another.

Orgnizdlbr
08-17-2008, 07:30 AM
For what it's worth, stay away from FE. They are a miserable employer, treat their employees like crap and are the biggest bunch of liars on earth.

IBEW apprentiship is the way.

IronLine
08-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Organ, you gotta learn to stop biting your tongue and tell us how ya feel!:D
My advice would be go IBEW bud, as long as you know that you can go to work in a relatively short time, or at least keep pluggin' away wherever you are now until they are ready to pick you up. Find out how many people they have on their out of work list (apprentices), that'll give you an idea. I know NW Line JATC had around 100 ape's outta work last time I talked to them, sounds like the number has gone down some but...You won't get a better education than going IBEW in my personal opinion, I'm still workin' on getting there!:rolleyes:

jerseyslave
08-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Earn while you learn brother, FE is trying to get linemen on the cheap with this program. Hopefully, many of your classmates will realize that when they graduate, they have no real commitment to FE. The education in the IBEW is more of the classic line program and will prepare you for wherever you want to work. If you want to work as a contractor, you can. If you want to work for a utility, you can. Almost all utilities including FE are begging for linemen, (of course FE will pay you less, give mediocre benefits and require you to commit your life to thier profit margin, but I digress).

Say you stay in the program, and graduate and FE offers you a job. You look around at other utilities and the pay is 2-5 dollars more and they treat you like people. Hmmm, the only hook they have is the cost of tuition, and you could earn that back in one summer, or maybe the utility would be willing to pay for your tuition for you.

Good luck

Plutopowered
09-07-2008, 10:23 PM
Is there a lot of travel involved with the IBEW?

rowdy2133
09-09-2008, 11:08 PM
I wouldnt worry about the travel with I.B.E.W., its worth the training and skill you will achieve vs. an under par (RAT) program, plus if you pay attention, and learn from your Jman, you will get home with all your toes and fingers! Rowdy

Sparks33183
09-19-2008, 08:36 PM
FYI..In NEAT's jurisdiction traveling is opitional..I am a 4th step apprentice and traveled most of my apprenticeship thus far...and wouldnt change it for the world...Meet plenty of great guys and learn a hell of alot stuff...Metting good ppl will give u plenty of contacts when you top out..GO IBEW and travel..

Plutopowered
09-29-2008, 12:21 PM
So, I just called my local IBEW (743) to confim directions and that they are taking apps for linemen this Wed. and the person that I spoke to said that the IBEW doesn't take apps for linemen out of their location and that I need to go to First Energy.

WTF??? I don't get it?!?!

Does the IBEW hire for Linemen? And if so, where?

tolex42
09-30-2008, 02:12 PM
So, I just called my local IBEW (743) to confim directions and that they are taking apps for linemen this Wed. and the person that I spoke to said that the IBEW doesn't take apps for linemen out of their location and that I need to go to First Energy.

WTF??? I don't get it?!?!

Does the IBEW hire for Linemen? And if so, where?

Check out neat1968.org

Linemansmom
09-30-2008, 02:49 PM
Check out neat1968.org

I just sent a PM to tell the guy the same thing, I did not see this post.

http://www.neat1968.org/apply.htm

Plutopowered
09-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Check out neat1968.org

I just sent a PM to tell the guy the same thing, I did not see this post.

http://www.neat1968.org/apply.htm

Thanks for the replies. Know anything about NEAT's programs compared to FE?

Edit: NICE! I just noticed that NEAT is located about 20 minutes from my house!

tolex42
10-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the replies. Know anything about NEAT's programs compared to FE?

Edit: NICE! I just noticed that NEAT is located about 20 minutes from my house!

NEAT is the contractor's apprenticeship, First Energy is a utility company.

NEAT may be 20 minutes from you house, but the job will be further away!

Plutopowered
10-13-2008, 07:50 PM
How is entering the trade right now with the economy the way it is? I've heard that F.E. is laying off or will be getting rid of contractors because of tough times and some of their new technology.

How much will this effect entrance into the field?

Plutopowered
10-26-2008, 12:00 PM
Look everyone was helpful and for every answer they gave, you ask another question.

Here is National Joint Apprenticeship website. Pick your state write or call them.
The local you call was probably a utility local and don't offer training.

http://www.njatc.org/training/apprenticeship/outside.aspx

Stop being a pussy or forget being a lineman. They will eat you alive. Either become a lineman or check out walMart. They will tell you every move to make at WalMart.

I already took care of all of the things you mentioned, thanks.

If I click my heals 3 times will I get to work in Kansas, Toto?

Plutopowered
06-27-2009, 04:56 PM
So, I followed the advice given and had my interview with IBEW this week.

I was very excited but when I got into the interview, they started asking me questions and barely let me finish the first sentence before they interrupted and asked the next question.

They pretty much made a jackass out of me and I was out the door in about 7 minutes (literally). They did that to a couple of other people as well (they looked pretty flustered when they came out of the room).

What's up with that? :confused:

I'll assume that they aren't looking for people or they want people with a lot of experience? Maybe they have a quota of people they need to interview?

I've gotten some other suggestions as to what to do next but anyone else have any more suggestions?

They said they'd send me a letter later next week and one guy said that I should just "keep plugging away"...

rcdallas
06-28-2009, 05:27 PM
That sucks... I just be blunt; did you go in there looking like a sissy wearing dockers and dress shoes? I'm sure many jatc's are the same were they want you to have a class a cdl before you apply... don't know your situation.

There's many avenues to get started in the trade...

Plutopowered
06-28-2009, 09:04 PM
That sucks... I just be blunt; did you go in there looking like a sissy wearing dockers and dress shoes? I'm sure many jatc's are the same were they want you to have a class a cdl before you apply... don't know your situation.

There's many avenues to get started in the trade...

The 8-10 men that interviewed me were wearing suits as was I. All of the other applicants had at LEAST shirts and ties (except for one person who wore jeans and a t shirt).

I was the only applicant out of the other 16 that had a CDL.

rcdallas
06-29-2009, 08:09 AM
So it sounds like it may of been a factor in the first impression as they were frustrated with everyone else.

I'd stick with good pair of blue jeans, oiled up work boots and either a polo or button up shirt, tucked in, no hats, no jewlery.

This is a lineman job, not a nuclear engineer.

If it was me holding an interview, I'd be looking at the small things like that, someone who gives the impression that they are ready to go to work now.

returntotheeve
07-02-2009, 01:49 AM
Did you talk to the other applicants to feel where you were compared to them? More experience, more motivation, etc,? NEAT will contact you but they may not let you know where you are on the list. Try to find out, don't take no the first time. Who's running NEAT now? Did you interview at Collegeville? Don't worry about them chewing you up, they chewed me up real good a few times. It was pretty funny. I was laughing with the guy as he was getting in my ass, although I tried my best to not let on. Good times! Good times! BTW Traveling isn't for everyone but you'll learn 10 different ways to do a job, learn ten different names for a tool, have ten different nick names given to you. You'll get to tell people you eat Scrapple, it'll be great.

Plutopowered
07-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Did you talk to the other applicants to feel where you were compared to them?

I didn't really get to talk to any that day but I got to talk to a couple at the aptitude test. The ones I spoke to seemed to be in the same boat as me with minimal experience. I know there was maybe one or two with experience from somewhere else. In other words, I heard one guy talking about that he moved from another area and was transferring here but had to take the aptitude test. Another guy said he had about "600 hours" so I assume that means he was an apprentice already.

NEAT will contact you but they may not let you know where you are on the list. Try to find out, don't take no the first time.

I'm certainly not going to take "no" but I think it will be a while until they call. Probably at least a year or two just until some work opens up. I'm looking at other options in the meantime to get some experience.

Who's running NEAT now?

Hmmmm, I'm not sure...

Did you interview at Collegeville?

Yup.

Don't worry about them chewing you up, they chewed me up real good a few times. It was pretty funny. I was laughing with the guy as he was getting in my ass, although I tried my best to not let on. Good times! Good times!

I'm a real smart ass and I REALLY wanted to let some them have it (a couple of them would have been easy targets...) but I just kept my mouth closed and was very polite. I figured I'd just be safe and not fight as that might make my chances worse...

BTW Traveling isn't for everyone but you'll learn 10 different ways to do a job, learn ten different names for a tool, have ten different nick names given to you. You'll get to tell people you eat Scrapple, it'll be great.

I really look forward to the traveling. That's one of the reasons I'd really like to do this job. Eventually, I'd like to move to / near a bigger city especially on the East Coast. NYC, Boston, Charlotte, Washington DC...

And being PA Dutch, I know what Scrapple is made out of... :eek:

barehandbilly34
07-02-2009, 12:02 PM
i dont understand how an interview can make you look or feel like a jackass.
what happened?

yager024
07-02-2009, 02:36 PM
I did the first 2 week pole climbing school with FE and passed. I think in my group 9 out of the 24 passed. I heard the second group was down to 8 or 9 by the 4th day! I am wondering how many did pass? They told me they would call in August if i got in. I also applied at the local IBEW and have the aptitude test on the 22nd of july. were you out in phillipsburg for the pole climbing?

Plutopowered
07-03-2009, 02:06 AM
I did the first 2 week pole climbing school with FE and passed. I think in my group 9 out of the 24 passed. I heard the second group was down to 8 or 9 by the 4th day! I am wondering how many did pass? They told me they would call in August if i got in. I also applied at the local IBEW and have the aptitude test on the 22nd of july. were you out in phillipsburg for the pole climbing?

I went to the FE pole climbing (1 week) school in Reading. It's amazing how fast people drop out. People that aren't really serious about it, can't physically do it, afraid of heights, etc...

The aptitude test is really easy.

It'll be a plus that you passed the FE pole climbing school as well. Make sure you tell them that at your interview.