PDA

View Full Version : Study material for SCE Ape

NoobyGuy
09-08-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey guys, I am testing right now with SCE for a Splicer job, however as soon as I get my foot in the door i'm going for APE. My question is what are the best reading materials to become as knowledgable as possible before going for an Ape position?

I've seen people reference the Lineman's and Cableman's handbook many times however I've also seen people complain that much of the material is old/dated.

What other things should I become proficient in prior to trying for an Ape position?

What math?, Knots?, Theory? anything.

I already climb pretty well as I have been with the phone company for 10 years and come from a rural area, I just need to work on getting used to the higher altitudes as I am usually below 30 feet or so. I've also seen some time on lattice communication towers in the 150 foot range.

Anyone from the Riverside County area (Temecula/Murrieta) want to show me around your job a bit?

Anyways, I have read nearly every post or these forums and appreciate them all.

Much Respect,

NoobyGuy (Pat)

wtdoor67
09-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Contact them and ask them. Most of them I've experienced just had a general aptitude test to see if you could read and write reasonably well. Nothing to get up tight about. Just had general math like you would encounter if you tested for the military.

Now if you're testing at the Journeyman level that's something else.

The Kurtz book is very up to date in my opinion. They publish a new addition real regular. If you get into an apprentice position they'll probably give you one.

From what information you've given I don't think you'd have any trouble at all.

tomcat
09-09-2008, 07:06 PM
Even though the Linemans/Cablemans handbook may be a bit outdated, it is packed with some very valuable information. There are several App. Programs that use this book.
Refer to NLC's web site and see what books they have to offer.
(Northwest Lineman College)

I'm sure their read list might be of some help.

Another thing/ just because some may seem outdated, dosen't necessarily mean it is. Look at Me. I'm Old. But I still work!

IronLine
09-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Hmm...Just to throw this in, along with the Kurtz manual, which is the Lineman/Cablemans Handbook, there is also a book out called The Guidebook for Linemen/Cablemen, I bought it last year before I went to SLTC and its a "dumbed down" version of the Handbook. It was a LOT easier for me to read just coming into the field, less technical but still filled with LOADS of valuable information. Check it out! I found it at Borders

NoobyGuy
09-10-2008, 11:37 AM
Thanks guys, I'll get that book pronto... I am just hoping to become as smart as possible as I progress...

I also understand THE way you learn is from the experienced "old-timers", I undestand how to shut up and listen.

Thanks again,

Pat :)

prospect
09-14-2008, 01:41 PM
I am not sure if I should start another thread for this or not. Feel free to direct me.

But I am really considering a career as a lineman. I live in Orange County, CA, so SCE would be my employer if I were to stay here.

I was wondering if there are any members in the area who are linemen? I have a few questions about the job (and the jobs you have to do to get to that point) specific to the area.

Thanks!

prospect
09-21-2008, 12:51 AM
Anyone here with SoCal Edison?

freshjive
09-21-2008, 11:42 AM
learn the clove hitch, bowline, square knot, and the rolling hitch...these are the bread and butter knots and its good to learn them before you need to use one..