PDA

View Full Version : Missouri Valley? Pros & Cons

MN-JDS
10-06-2008, 08:16 PM
I have just been called by Missouri Valley and was told I would attend climbing school on Nov. 10-14th. I will start work for Donovon on Oct.20th and work for 3 weeks before going to climbing school. Is there anyone out there that can tell me some things good or bad (if any) about this approach to becoming a lineman? A little history about myself. I am 31. I have a degree in robotics and have worked for a automated packaging machinery builder for 10 years and handed in my 2 week notice to pursue this dream. Thanks for any info you guys may have.

swetngblts
10-09-2008, 08:52 PM
Congrats! on making it that far. Pass the climbing class and you'll be indentured into their program.

I'm considering movalley, how long was the process for you from when you turned in your application, interviewed, and heard back from them?

What local are you out of?

MN-JDS
10-09-2008, 11:34 PM
I believe I turned in my app in late July of 07. I interviewed in Nov. and was pretty low on the list several times, but was bumped. I made it to number 3 twice and then I got the call two weeks ago tomorrow. It took close to one year from interview to hire, but I can't complain. I went through orientation this morning with Donovan Construction of St. Paul, MN. I am out of Local 160 in Minneapolis, MN. I will be heading down to Indianola, IA on Nov. 10th-14th. and everything should work out well. I have no regrets and looking forward to the next few months. Everything I have heard so far about MO Valley is all good and sounds like the way to go. So give it a whirl and good luck.

swetngblts
10-10-2008, 06:42 AM
Good luck to you. That's a great opportunity to have. Take full advantage of it.

MN-JDS
10-10-2008, 08:02 AM
Thanks much and I will keep you posted on my progress. It sure is a hell of an opportunity and from here on out it will be nothing but 110% for the boys at Donovan.

2WDKING
10-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Good For You I Hope You Do Well At Donovan What great Opportunity I Have An Interview Nov 14th I Hope I Don't Have To Wait A Year I Am Itchin To Go As Well Good Luck

tonykinetic
10-17-2008, 10:37 AM
Definitely keep us posted on your training progress and some pitfalls for some of us that are trying to take the same path

-2WDKING- I actually have an Interview with the Minneapolis Local 160 on the same day, too -good luck to you ..hopefully I only do "1" point better than you do!

MN-JDS
10-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Well I have one week under my belt and love it. I just wish I would have done this 10 years ago. The guys are great. I was working a job with 3 other apps that will be going down to Indianola the same week as myself. We worked transmission this week, which consisted of squeezing steel poles and getting them ready to set. It sounds like we will be setting the poles next week. Can't wait to get into the air. Any questions feel free to ask I will be home all weekend.

2WDKING
11-03-2008, 12:35 PM
how was tour second week keep us posted thanks 2wdking

MN-JDS
11-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Well I just finished week 3 and I love it. Last week we set all 15 poles with a 60 ton crane and this week was grounding the poles, getting the arms up and transferring the wires for the transmission. I leave for Iowa on sunday morning and start school on monday morning. Well if you guys have any questions feel free to call me. 218-232-5888 Later guys.

ask questions!!!!!!!!!

2WDKING
11-13-2008, 10:11 AM
just curious what town are you working in? i seen work being done along hwy 18 from brainerd to garrison when i was heading up that way going deer hunting. i might call you to visit this weekend i would really like visit for 5 minutes or so my name is dean thanks

MN-JDS
11-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Well guys, I made it back. I am indentured. MoValley was an awesome experience. The instructor was very good. The poles were shitty, but if you can climb those you can climb anything. There was alot of information covered in that short 5 days. If anybody has any questions just give me a call (218) 232-5888 and my name is Jess.

I am back to work for Donovan on monday morning down in Oakdale, MN as far as I know.

tonykinetic
11-17-2008, 03:54 PM
I got a couple questions for you if you don't mind:

1) Did you buy any of your gear prior to going down there?
2) How much time did you get from when you were notified to go to work until you had to show up- reason Im asking is I'm currently employed, so I'd like to give them the courtesy of a 2 week notice (if they want it).
2) What steps or preparations (physically/skills)would you recommend a guy do before he goes down there for orientation to help him succeed?

Thanks
Tony

tonykinetic
12-01-2008, 11:01 AM
If you mean buying equipment pyior to interview NO If you mean a call an apprentice board will give you all the information you need. If they don't call!!!!

How important is your present job your talking about your future!!!

As for orientation!!! If you don't have basic educational background as described or minimal physical qualifications, your wasting the boards time and yours.

They don't expect you to be an electrical engineer, but good math skills and being able to work out basic skills helps.

The reason I asked about the 2-week notice was simply for courtesy. I realize it's my future, but I can't imagine it's a character flaw to want to be a professional or show some loyalty if at all possible either- obviously, I will do what I have to do to get to work- I was just curious.
I asked about physical/misc. skills was just to show up more prepared to succeed, not to waste anyones time.

Sbatts, I'm reading your responses to my questions for MN-JDS, and it seems like you feel my questions are "out of line" - I hope they aren't ...Actually, I just want to be as prepared overall as I can be when the time comes to get to work - Thanks

tramp67
12-02-2008, 04:05 AM
Good luck with MoValley! It is a top notch program, but as with anything, you get out of it what you put into it. I was about 30 when I got into the program, was a Journeyman Inside Wireman prior to the Outside apprenticeship. Though the app committee didn't seem to think that work experience meant anything, it helped me lots. The biggest thing is keep an open mind, try to learn all you can, and remember there's always more than one way to do something. Some jobs may seem kind of lousy, but those are the times you need to tell yourself it all pays the same! If heights and travel don't bother you, you won't regret this career move. The times I look back, I just remember all the fun I had, and the great people I've worked with, and all the neat things I've learned over the years. The biggest problem I have is trying to decide between high line and distribution, they're both fun.
Stick with the bookwork, try to stay ahead of the game - it seems to be the biggest downfall of apprentices. If you have a rain day, use it for bookwork, not as a drinking day, and you'll breeze through the books.

Boomer gone soft
01-07-2009, 07:49 PM
MN-JDS.....good talking to you! Good luck to you.....If I can be any help, give me a call or PM.:D