PDA

View Full Version : Apprenticeship Questions????

mike777
10-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm 28 and I want to become a lineman. I have no experience in the field but it's something I've researched and feel that I would do well in & enjoy.

I've noticed there are a lot of schools out there that one can pay for training, and then there are places like SELCAT in GA that will hook you up with a company and give you on the job paid training, while going through their 7000hr apprenticeship program... I want to know which is the best choice? Do you need a degree from a college to get promoted?

Also, I know there are “high line man” that travel around the country and then there are guys that work for the local city power companies... I keep reading about power companies laying off workers, but yet I see posts saying there is a need for workers... is there a future & job security in the industry? Is there a difference in pay between the guys that work for the city and the guys that travel around? How much could I expect to make as an apprentice and journey man? Are there benefits?

Thanks for your responses

localmotion
10-10-2008, 08:06 PM
look up a program called NEAT, i was looking into that program until i got hooked up with the company im now going thru an apprenticeship learning program, they are pretty solid and my friends brother went thru the neat program and it worked for him pretty well

electric squirrel
10-10-2008, 08:25 PM
I was working on a cattle ranch breaking horses,working 20 hour days for $1200 a month and all the food me and my horses could eat.I only had a high school education,a pick up and what belongings I could fit in the back seat.

I just pulled in from the storms in the south with $30 thousand in my pocket, that will put me at around $150k for the year unless we get another big winter storm.I was a lineman one day,foreman the next.My lead lineman was in apprentice school with me,the other two hands on the crew had more experience in their big toes,but we worked GREAT as a crew! The oldest dog isn't always the boss when your a tramp.

The job you want depends on the life you want to live.Do you want to travel and see the country ,work with a bunch of dudes from all over the place,or stay home and have a routine and raise a family.

If you are a free spirit you might want to look at being a tramp lineman or go the other route and work for the local power company and sleep in your own bed at night.

The difference in pay is little, the benefits from the power companies is just like any other corporation. The BS is the same too! You gotta put up with the suites making the calls and telling you how to do your job,learning how they think powerlines should be built and their system.On the other hand you get to have a life outside of linework.

The other alternative is being a tramp,working out of the Union hall taking jobs that sound fun but might not be close to the house.Living in hotels or an RV.You get to see all kinds of country and if you want a month off you just take it,go back to the Union hall when your ready to go back to work and see what jobs there are.

I wanted to go to the hurricanes so I told my boss I wanted a lay off. I went and made a bunch of money and came home .Now I'll call the job line and see if theres anything that sounds interesting.

You will have to make the choice,you want for yourself.LOTS of guys will give you their thoughts I'm sure!!!!!!! E.S.:cool: