PDA

View Full Version : Lookin for a new start

deman
10-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Alright, something about me.... I'm 36 and next month I'll be 37. I live Northwest of Houston with my wife of 14 years and 2yr old daughter. I've been in the computer industry (high-end servers) for over 16 years on the hardware side. But for me the bottom is about to drop out. I don't have a college degree to go anywhere else doing what I'm doing, so looks like I need a change in careers. I've had a few friends that are lineman and it's always sounded like an interesting job to me. So now I'm thinking what can I do??... Where can I go??.... I've looked online for training, but it's all too far. What places in and around Houston will provide on the job training? Any?

Hate to have such newbie questions for y'all, but I hear that's the way to be if you want to be a lineman....

-D

Pootnaigle
10-13-2008, 05:49 PM
Go directly to local union 66 and apply for a position in the apprenticeship program. You will earn as you learn. Just about any other avenue of approach will cost you serious money with no promises of employment after.

deman
10-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info. I doubt I could pull up roots and leave responsibilities to take any kind of school or class without a paycheck. So OJT is just what I'm looking for.
Whats an apprentice bring in around Houston?

Phoenix-7
11-09-2008, 05:19 PM
Alright, something about me.... I'm 36 and next month I'll be 37. I live Northwest of Houston with my wife of 14 years and 2yr old daughter. I've been in the computer industry (high-end servers) for over 16 years on the hardware side. But for me the bottom is about to drop out. I don't have a college degree to go anywhere else doing what I'm doing, so looks like I need a change in careers. I've had a few friends that are lineman and it's always sounded like an interesting job to me. So now I'm thinking what can I do??... Where can I go??.... I've looked online for training, but it's all too far. What places in and around Houston will provide on the job training? Any?

Hate to have such newbie questions for y'all, but I hear that's the way to be if you want to be a lineman....

-DI hate to tell you this, but you are too old for an apprenticeship as a lineman, you better be in top-notch shape, no fat, just muscle and lean.
If you been sitting at a desk since you were out of high school, you will hate being outdoors, rain, heat, sun, humidity,working long hours thru the nite, missing coffee breaks, meal times.
I've been a lineman for 28 years,done all of the above, worked in rough conditions, been chased by dogs bigger than me, been bitten twice.
Anyhow goodluck!!http://www.powerlineman.com/lforum/images/icons/icon12.gif

oilfieldape
11-09-2008, 05:48 PM
I would'nt say 36 is too old. I know a 37 year-old apprentice who kicks a$$! He works for LADWP and even competes in national lineman rodeos. If you want something bad enough you'll get there.

IronLine
11-09-2008, 08:19 PM
I've worked around a couple 45yo, 47yo and one 54yo ape, the 54yo fella was running circles around a couple guys on the crew. If you've got the drive and determination I don't see the age being an issue.