PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy climbing gear in Edmonton

MagnetoMan
10-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Hi, I'm a first year line apprentice working in Edmonton and area. I'd like to know which wholesalers sell climbing gear and other lineman tools. The guys I work with are all from out of town and have no idea where to buy gear.

Thanks

Bull Dog
10-13-2008, 09:22 PM
I go to the store keeper and he gives me what I need free.

old lineman
10-15-2008, 09:07 AM
Since Surety closed their doors in Edmonton (they weren't strong in linemen's needs anyway) you could check.
AMAC Equipment Ltd. in Richmond Hill.
Ask for Steve Jubb, he's quite knowledgeable.
cell 905 836-3205
The Old Lineman

RadonHuffer
10-15-2008, 07:15 PM
Hi, I'm a first year line apprentice working in Edmonton and area. I'd like to know which wholesalers sell climbing gear and other lineman tools. The guys I work with are all from out of town and have no idea where to buy gear.

Thanks

I genrally deal with these 4 company's. Buckingham is the wholesaler.

Westspur usually has the best deals.

REI has lots of cool ropes and lots of technical climbing gear, I have climbed mountains with this gear. I have lots of there gear in my pole climbing and tree climbing bag.

Tall man specializes in lineman gear but is a retailer.

We all have our own style.:D

You can order on the web or call in an order with a CC.

http://www.buckinghammfg.com/

http://www.wesspur.com/Spurs/spurs.html

http://www.rei.com/climbing?cm_mmc=ps_google-_-Category%20-%20Climbing-_-Climbing_Gear_General-_-climbing%20equipment&gclid=CKG1_-qEm5QCFRYLIgodmSPAtg

http://www.tallmanequipment.com/

wtdoor67
10-15-2008, 09:03 PM
Don't buy new stuff. Just get the bare minimums for starters. Check pawn shops. There's not a damn thing wrong with used hooks or belts. Use them until you get a handle on things. If you can locate anybody locally in the trade, get them to help you. Most real linemen are glad, even eager to give advice to a sincere person. You'll be glad you took my advice if you stay in or don't in the trade. I don't know how many people I have known who have quit or otherwise been left with 400 to 500 dollars worth of tools that they usually sacrafice for less than they gave. See if you can locate such a person. Bottom line, don't rush out and buy new hooks and belt. Hell I got an old cheap miller belt that's never been used hardly I might just give you. Got your sizes figured out yet?

MagnetoMan
10-15-2008, 10:56 PM
thanks for your replys, after reading some of your post I realize that I should of clarified that I live in Edmonton, AB not Edmonton, KY.... anyhow, I am just looking for the bare minimum, the problem is that I am a larger guy (6'4'', 250lbs) and most of the lineman that I work with are quiet smaller then me leaving me with little options for used equipment. I don't see buying new equipment as a major expense. The company is paying me Jman rate since I am a Jman electrician and the demand for line apprentices is extremely high in Alberta right now... pretty cool, eh?

So far I have been making due by squeezing into my Jman's belts every now and then and climbing the odd pole. I am lucky enough to be working union, so I only need to provide a body belt, safety strap, and spurs. I am hesitant in buying climbing gear over the net since most of this is new to me and it would be costly to return gear.

All of the Jmen that I have worked with use Bucklingham belts and spurs, some use the bucksqueeze strap while the oldschool guys don't. I want a bucksqueeze strap and a comfortable belt and spurs. Still looking around town, the problem is that all of the local utilities don't climb anymore so the demand for climbing gear is low. I will keep my eyes open for used gear, in the mean time, let me know if you know of any local retailers in Alberta that I could at least look at some equipment and start pricing things out.

Thanks

49pan
10-15-2008, 11:02 PM
I have a brand new buckingham backsaver belt D ring is 23 and a set of twisted offset hooks with pads. Just extra stuff I have around from when I was a AP Instructor (Someone that did'nt make it ). If you are interested let me know, the price will be right. just pay shipping. I am in California.

wtdoor67
10-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I'm not a shrimp, but you're about 20 lbs, and 2 inches taller than I. I don't think anything I have as a belt would fit you comfortably. The extra hooks I have are Brooks. A lot of people don't like them but I used them for about 15 or so years and liked them okay. I bought them new and would have to have money for them. You say money is no problem for you. Well I suggest you make damn sure you have the right size belt before you buy. A well fitting belt is extremely comfortable. I'll bet you would have to have at the minimum a 24 inch D or maybe larger. Find a lineman who is well seasoned and will help advise you on this tool stuff. Good luck. A tall man has some advantage in this trade. You'll like it. As far as brands go I favor the Bashlin belts. Try several if you can. Good luck.

compression
10-16-2008, 09:31 PM
www.fwlsp.com

Pretty fast, almost always the best price you'll find anywhere and a good selection. Big man belt? buckingham 2000m, its comfortable right out of the box and wears well.

I hardly even bother looking elsewhere anymore because farwest has always blow the catalog places away - or at worst they're the same price.

RadonHuffer
10-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Don't buy new stuff. Just get the bare minimums for starters. Check pawn shops. There's not a damn thing wrong with used hooks or belts. Use them until you get a handle on things. If you can locate anybody locally in the trade, get them to help you. Most real linemen are glad, even eager to give advice to a sincere person. You'll be glad you took my advice if you stay in or don't in the trade. I don't know how many people I have known who have quit or otherwise been left with 400 to 500 dollars worth of tools that they usually sacrafice for less than they gave. See if you can locate such a person. Bottom line, don't rush out and buy new hooks and belt. Hell I got an old cheap miller belt that's never been used hardly I might just give you. Got your sizes figured out yet?

I agree 100%, With that inspect your equipment every time you use it.

I seen a D ring connection to an old leather belt fail one time when a friend of mine was climbing, He didnt fall. But I do think he ruined a pair of underwear.

MagnetoMan
10-17-2008, 10:00 PM
thanks for all of the advice guys, I am looking into equipment, figured out my belt size (D26) and it is looking like I will be buying some used equipment and some new.