Hybrid View

1. Default Lineman Tools List

Hello,

I am looking for as complete a list as I can find of Lineman tools, to study and get familiar with tool recognition. Does anyone here have a good list, preferably with pictures, like this? When I search lineman tools, generally all that comes up is where to buy them, and part of the problem is that I just don't know which I should know and which I may never use. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

That list could be pretty long if your a contractor and somewhat shorter if you sign on with a utility. The guys we hired brought their belt,hooks , climbing boots. Then we made sure that equipment was up to snuff. They needed a nine inch Kline pliers, a good screw driver, a folding rule, and a skinning knife. We supplied leather gloves, rubber gloves, protectors, sleeves, a hard hat, safety glasses. They also could check out rubber boots, a rain suit, and a hiVis vest.

tools like bolt cutters hack saws, large hammer, lag wrenches etc were stocked on trucks, or you could check that stuff out also.

you could get ear plugs or muffs, sun screen that was not harmful to the rubber goods. There was hand lotion for cracked dry skin also.

everyone was given an allowance to purchase FRC clothing, including shirts, pants,coats, overalls etc.

if I remember right you had to purchase the preferred fall arrest system and harness, but like belt and hooks were replaced by the company when they wore out.

there may be things I missed but good luck with your new career

Default The Basic Stuff

Like T said... If you are just starting out you only need the basic stuff... Add a lump hammer to T's list. After you've been there a few months you can expand .. If you are working for a Utility they will supply you with your tools.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."

Umm not all utilitys provide hand tools so you may wanna get some 9" klines, a 12" crescent wrench, and a folding ruler (preferably made of something non conductive, and maybe even some channel lock pliers

http://www.jharlen.com/harlenlht75.html

Pretty good starter kit. The only thing else an apprentice might need is bolt cutters. You would probably want to swap out the adjustable with an insulated one and you really only need one ratchet and that would be 9/16+3/4 preferably insulated. The Bug Wrench brand version are the best.
    Last edited by Trouble1; 09-20-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Once you get the tools you need, mark them. . . . .so they don't sprout legs and run off. maybe they grow wings and fly away. . . .in any case, new tools belonging to a new dude have crumbs watching them.

7. Default

Thank you for your responses, I'll look all of that stuff up. I've got the hooks, belt, and safety (no other fall arrest, the couple companies I'm looking at free climb, and that's all I've ever done).

Mainly what I'm looking for is a list of tools that a utility would use, as part of the written test is tool recognition, and other than tools used to hang a standard cross arm, I don't have much experience with anything else.

Default Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by juststartingout View Post
    Hello,

I am looking for as complete a list as I can find of Lineman tools, to study and get familiar with tool recognition. Does anyone here have a good list, preferably with pictures, like this? When I search lineman tools, generally all that comes up is where to buy them, and part of the problem is that I just don't know which I should know and which I may never use. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
    http://www.njatc.org/training/appren...p/outside.aspx

Outside Lineman
    IBEW members jointly trained by the IBEW and NECA can be seen constructing transmission lines which bring power from far away generating plants to local service areas.
    Apprentices learn to employ safe work practices while working under the supervision of a Journeyman Lineman.

Outside Linemen do not always have the comfort of performing their work from a bucket truck. Linemen must develop climbing skills, as much of their work is atop wooden poles. Linemen often find themselves working in bad weather and storms in order to maintain electrical power for homes, hospital, factories and schools.

Outside linemen use a broad array of tools. We have classified the tools by how frequently you will likely need to use them.

Daily
    Hand tools: plumb bob, pliers, needle nose pliers, slip joint pliers, hammer, wire cutters, screw driver, measuring tape, ruler, socket set, wrench, crimping tools, hand drill, shovel, ladder, knife, tamp tool, hoist come a long.
    Power-assisted tools: hand drill.
    Meters: voltmeter.
    Heavy equipment: bucket truck, auger.
    Climbing tools: gaffs, safety belt, body belt.
    Hot sticks: switch stick, universal "gripall" stick (shot gun).

Weekly
    Hand tools: file, allen wrench, hacksaw, handsaw, block and tackle, ladder.
    Power-assisted tools: electric saber saw, electric roto hammer drill.
    Meters: ammeter.

Monthly
    Hand tools: level, fish tape, pipe wrench, wire stripper.
    Power-assisted tools: roto stripper, wire tugger.
    Heavy equipment: crane.
    Hot sticks: auxiliary arm, insulated tension link, tie stick, link stick.

Occasionally
    Hand tools: punch, fuse pullers, clamps, torque wrench, architect scale, keyhole saw, wood chisel, hand bender, transit, adapter cables, hand reamer, knock out sets, awl vise, caliper.
    Power-assisted tools: soldering iron, drill press, gas-operated auger, air hammer, coring machine to drill through concrete, hydraulic bender, power cutting and threading machine, roto stripper, water pump, electric screw gun, electric saber saw, fiber optic fusion splicer, electric roto hammer drill.
    Meters: oscilloscope, wattmeter, optical power meter, MEGGER, dielectric test set to hipot cable, dynamometer, optical time-domain reflectometers.
    Heavy equipment: trencher, electric lift, power borer, derrick, dozer, backhoe, caterpillar.
    Climbing tools: skates.
    Hot sticks: wire tongs, wire tong supports, strain carrier, platform, saddle, lever

Quote Originally Posted by CPOPE View Post
    http://www.njatc.org/training/appren...p/outside.aspx

Outside Lineman
    IBEW members jointly trained by the IBEW and NECA can be seen constructing transmission lines which bring power from far away generating plants to local service areas.
    Apprentices learn to employ safe work practices while working under the supervision of a Journeyman Lineman.

Outside Linemen do not always have the comfort of performing their work from a bucket truck. Linemen must develop climbing skills, as much of their work is atop wooden poles. Linemen often find themselves working in bad weather and storms in order to maintain electrical power for homes, hospital, factories and schools.

Outside linemen use a broad array of tools. We have classified the tools by how frequently you will likely need to use them.

Daily
    Hand tools: plumb bob, pliers, needle nose pliers, slip joint pliers, hammer, wire cutters, screw driver, measuring tape, ruler, socket set, wrench, crimping tools, hand drill, shovel, ladder, knife, tamp tool, hoist come a long.
    Power-assisted tools: hand drill.
    Meters: voltmeter.
    Heavy equipment: bucket truck, auger.
    Climbing tools: gaffs, safety belt, body belt.
    Hot sticks: switch stick, universal "gripall" stick (shot gun).

Weekly
    Hand tools: file, allen wrench, hacksaw, handsaw, block and tackle, ladder.
    Power-assisted tools: electric saber saw, electric roto hammer drill.
    Meters: ammeter.

Monthly
    Hand tools: level, fish tape, pipe wrench, wire stripper.
    Power-assisted tools: roto stripper, wire tugger.
    Heavy equipment: crane.
    Hot sticks: auxiliary arm, insulated tension link, tie stick, link stick.

Occasionally
    Hand tools: punch, fuse pullers, clamps, torque wrench, architect scale, keyhole saw, wood chisel, hand bender, transit, adapter cables, hand reamer, knock out sets, awl vise, caliper.
    Power-assisted tools: soldering iron, drill press, gas-operated auger, air hammer, coring machine to drill through concrete, hydraulic bender, power cutting and threading machine, roto stripper, water pump, electric screw gun, electric saber saw, fiber optic fusion splicer, electric roto hammer drill.
    Meters: oscilloscope, wattmeter, optical power meter, MEGGER, dielectric test set to hipot cable, dynamometer, optical time-domain reflectometers.
    Heavy equipment: trencher, electric lift, power borer, derrick, dozer, backhoe, caterpillar.
    Climbing tools: skates.
    Hot sticks: wire tongs, wire tong supports, strain carrier, platform, saddle, lever
    A few ?s about this. I will be starting my apprenticeship in 1.5 months. I have been doing electrical (electrician) work for a few years.
    1. What on Earth does a lineman use fish tape for.
    2. What are roto splitters? In electrical work, they are used to cut the jacket off MC cable, but here it lists them as a power tool.
    3. Skates? Can someone explain?